PDA

View Full Version : What is TPPA Certfied, anyone know?

MaryHenry
10-05-2009, 10:21 PM
I received a resume from a photographer for a second shooter. They are stating that they are TPPA Certified. I inquired...simply because I had never heard of this. Her response was that she attended Texas School and therefore received "Certification." Anyone know what she is talking about? I went to the TPPA website and saw nothing about it. Is she confused, or am I?
An interesting factoid about the whole thing was that I got my CPP last year - I just happen to take the written exam at Texas School.
I wanna ask her more questions about this...I certainly don't wanna make her mad, but in the same token, if she isn't Certified (which she isn't) she shouldn't be putting that on her resume. People can get the wrong idea. It's too easy to verify that she isn't.

TracyeGibson
10-06-2009, 02:45 AM
You don't get 'certified' just because you go to Texas School.(You're 'certifiable', maybe ;) I've been to 9. Hee-hee!). You do get a 'Certificate of Completion' at the end of the course. Possibly she was just confused. Sounds more like resume padding to me though.

MaryHenry
10-06-2009, 02:52 AM
Hi Tracye! How are you? How are Brandy and Holly?
It sounds like resume padding to me too. I wanna so bad tell her she is mistaken, but my head keeps telling me just to drop it. Unfortunately though, I would never consider some one for a position when they are misrepresenting themselves. Especially as being Certified myself. I worked really hard last year to get Certified

TracyeGibson
10-06-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi Mary! I thought I recognized you but couldn't remember why or where we had met! Just figured we partied together at School! Haaa! Brandy and Holly are great and trying to get preggers. I still don't think they have put togther their ceremony album.

I don't blame you for being wary. I just don't see how they could represent themself to another Professional Photographer with that on their resume, when it would be so obvious, unless this person truely is new and doesn't know.

I admire you for getting your certification! I know what hard work it is, and I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole! (I am working on my Masters, Craftsman, and EI Masters though)

Hope you are doing well! Are you going to IUSA in January?

Missy50
10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I received a resume from a photographer for a second shooter. They are stating that they are TPPA Certified. I inquired...simply because I had never heard of this. Her response was that she attended Texas School and therefore received "Certification." Anyone know what she is talking about? I went to the TPPA website and saw nothing about it. Is she confused, or am I?
An interesting factoid about the whole thing was that I got my CPP last year - I just happen to take the written exam at Texas School.
I wanna ask her more questions about this...I certainly don't wanna make her mad, but in the same token, if she isn't Certified (which she isn't) she shouldn't be putting that on her resume. People can get the wrong idea. It's too easy to verify that she isn't.

They may be confused. I have a certification from a local educational body. It is tough to get. Mine is old, required a lot of credit hours, hours with a mentor, who picked my work for the jury (made me reprint all my color prints and they got worse instead of better b/c I am a horrible color printer!), so on and so forth. In the B'ham area this program (which is now at another university) carries a lot of merit. I was not supposed to know who my jury members are, but one was Courtland Richards. A well known Commercial/Travel Photographer. He worked for Southern Progress for a very long time (Southern Living, Accents of the South, etc.). So it was not some fly by night thing. Few achieve it. BUT, we all have to clarify our certification. When they come into my office, the certification is on the wall, but if I am talking to someone, and it comes up, I state I have a cert from UAB. Out of the 100's of photogs in my area, there are maybe 2-5 that are PPA certified. And only 5-10 percent that work as photogs have the cert I have.

They may have gotten a similar certification from the Un of Tx. Difficult to achieve, they are proud of it and in many circles holds merit.

D._Craig_Flory
10-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Mary;

She is confused. Certification is now overseen by an independent certification body. The only way to get certified is by signing up with PPA and going through passing the written exam as well as submitting 20 images and having reviewed by a panel of Certified Masters to see if they are deemed to be worthy of certification. A one week school cannot do that nor are they affilliated with the certification status. She should be gently told to revise what she attributes to herself.

TracyeGibson
10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
They may have gotten a similar certification from the Un of Tx. Difficult to achieve, they are proud of it and in many circles holds merit.

Nope, she said she was 'TPPA" certified, which is totally different from UT. ;)

Michael_Gan
10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
The National Association for Compentency Assurance (NOCA) is THE standard for which certification is made legitimate. In order for Certified Professional Photographer to be legitimate, it had to be separated from PPA and be an entity of its own. It is now part of what is called the Alliance of Visual Artists (AVA) and is governed by the AVA board and managed by the Certification Commission.

The AVA shares the staff of PPA, so when you apply for certification, you are being served by the AVA staff, not PPA. By 2010, There will no longer be a certification committee in PPA. There will only be one Certification commission and they will have a whole organization chart of committees directly under them.

Certified Professional Photographer is trademarked as well, and no other organization can use the CPP in any form, and Certified Professional Photographer is the only entity that is recognized by NOCA, which is where the CPAs and all the other big name certification programs reside.

Oh, and BIG hint! If you are certified, you just might want to attend Nashville this year. We have a couple of surprises in the works.

George_Hawkins
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Michael you have me interested in CPP info. I have been certified and re-certified a number of years. You are well-stated.

If I can add 2ยข, I'd contact Doug Box, director of TX association and Don Dixon, director of TX school; they work side by side. Maybe this person should be told by one of them to cease using the word certified.

Michael_Gan
10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
LOL, I'll make a note of that for next week;)

Also, as a note to all the CPPs (not just you George, because you're not alone). You all need to remove from your stationary as well as your tags after your name "PPA Certified". All of your are now just "Certified".

Rodney_Ninow
10-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Why would you "just drop it?" If you are considering hiring her, then by all means you should ask her about her resume and what each thing means. Ask to see her certification. Tell her you called the school and they never heard of it. Don't let her think she pulled the wool over your eyes.

Michael_Gan
10-09-2009, 07:26 PM
That's assuming that she purposefully lied. She may have just been confused over the declaration of her completion of the course. I would give her the benefit of the doubt and nicely clarify her mistake. Who knows? She may become a very valuable employee!

George_Hawkins
10-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I agree with Michael, give benefit of doubt for now. After all, I have many "certificates" that say I attended this or that seminars, week long schools, conventions, etc. in this industry.
Should we be using CPP or the word Certified? In what sequence? I am not Master.
I deleted PPA for the tag.

If Mary has seen these posts, she has not let us know.

Michael_Gan
10-10-2009, 12:47 AM
George, your name could read like this: George Hawkins, Cr. Photog. CPP

Rose_Mary_Cheek
10-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Oh thanks Michael, I've been doing it just backward, had the CPP first then the Cr. Photog.
will make appropriate changes on my stationary also.

This is a great threat!