PDA

View Full Version : Chapters 1-3 Discussion

just_jenny
10-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Post any questions, comments, or discussion topics for Chapters 1-3 here.

just_jenny
10-08-2009, 05:07 PM
In an attempt to get some discussion going, I am posting some study questions from each chapter. Go ahead and post your answers, and we can discuss any questions anyone has, and also, why the correct answer is correct.

Chapter One:

1. The image transmitted by the lens is recorded by the:

a. lens elements
b. aperture
c. shutter
d. Film

2. The length of time that light strikes a light-sensitive surface when making an exposure is controlled by the:

a. aperture
b. shutter
c. viewfinder
d, lens elements

3. The term "ISO speed" is used to describe

a. the length of time the light strikes the light sensitive surface inside your camera
b. the aperture
c. a sensor's or film's sensitivity to light
d. the memory card's capacity

4. It is best to turn a digital camera off when

a. adjusting the shutter speed
b. changing the aperture
c. setting the ISO
d. changing or installing the memory card

5. All of the following are factors which control exposure except:

a. aperture size
b. shutter speed
c. focus
d. film speed

6. If you are working with an automatic camera, and you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed, you are working in which mode?

a. manual
b. programmed automatic exposure
c. shutter-priority
d. aperture-priority

7. When working with a manual camera, you will know the roll of film is completely exposed when:

a. the film rewinds automatically
b. the LCD panel reads "0"
c. the advance lever will not turn
d. the needle centers between + and -

just_jenny
10-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Chapter 2:

1. The camera mechanism that regulates the amount of time film or the sensor is exposed to light is the:

a. aperture
b. shutter
c. cable release
d. autoexposure mode

2. What kind of camera allows you to change the position of the lens and back relative to each other so that you can more precisely control focus or perspective?

a. A view camera
b. A rangefinder camera
c. A compact camera
d. Single-lens reflex camera

3. Which of the following would be a suggested shutter speed to stop the action of a child running, parallel to the film plane, about 25 ft from the camera?

a. 1/60 sec
b. 1/125 sec
c. 1/250 sec
d. 1/500 sec

4. The adjustable diaphragm which is made of metal blades that determines the amount of light entering the camera is called:

a. the shutter
b. the viewfinder
c. lens aperture
d. reflex mirror

5. An f-stop which would admit a large amount of light into the camera and produce very little depth of field would be:

a. f/2
b. f/11
c. f/16
d. f/22

6. Which of the following numbers is not a standard f-stop?

a. f/.10
b. f/2.8
c. f/11
d. f/64

7. Which of the following f-stops would represent stopping down 1/2 stop from f/2.8?

a. f/2
b. f/2.3
c. f/3.4
d. f/4

8. What shutter speed setting keeps the shutter open as long as the release button is held down?

a. T (time setting)
b. B (bulb setting)
c. L (long setting)
d. Focal plane

9. Parallax error occurs in which type of camera:

a. SLR
b. rangefinder
c. monorail view camera
d. field camera

10. A type of shutter that is constructed with a number of small overlapping metal blades and is usually located inside the lens itself in view cameras, point and shoot cameras, and many medium-format cameras is called a:

a. SLR
b. focal plane shutter
c. Gobo
d. leaf shutter

just_jenny
10-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Chapter 3:

1. The relationship between focal length and angle of view is such that the shorter the focal length the:

a. wider the angle of view
b. narrower the angle of view
c. sharper the image
d. larger the image will appear on the film

2. A technique that is used to maintain sharp focus on a subject that is moving toward you is called:

a. manual focus
b. automatic focus
c. zone focus
d. follow focus

3. A wide-area focus system is an automatic focusing system that allows the photographer to:

a. choose the area that will be in focus
b. shoot with a wide angle lens
c. shoot at fast shutter speeds
d. manually set exposures

4. The relative aperture is equal to the lens focal length divided by the:

a. f-stop
b. plane of focus
c. aperture diameter
d. angle of view

5. Which of the following is not likely to affect the depth of field?

a. the aperture
b. the shutter speed
c. the focal length of the lens
d. the distance the photographer is from the subject

6. A useful focusing technique to use when you want to shoot rapidly in a situation in which you can predict the approximately where, if not exactly when, action will take place is called:

a. Focusing on the hyperfocal distance
b. Zone focusing
c. parallax
d. perspective control

7. The relationship between focal length and magnification is such that the longer the focal length the:

a. less the magnification
b. wider the angle of view
c. greater the magnification
d. greater the depth of field

8. When buying a lens, it is a good idea to buy a lens shade that

a. is wider than your lens's focal length
b. is two times the focal length of your lens
c. matches the focal length of the lens
d. matches the color of your camera

9. Most lenses are sharpest at an aperture closed down

a. three f-stops from the widest
b. one or two f-stops from the widest.
c. four stops from the widest

bwalker
10-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Post any questions, comments, or discussion topics for Chapters 1-3 here.

What book are you referring to?

just_jenny
10-09-2009, 03:20 AM
What book are you referring to?

Photography by Barbara London, 9th edition. It is the book used to study for the CPP exam.

Cindi_Delaney
10-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Here are my anwers. Let's see if everyone agrees with me.

Chapter One:

1. The image transmitted by the lens is recorded by the:
d. Film

2. The length of time that light strikes a light-sensitive surface when making an exposure is controlled by the:
b. shutter

3. The term "ISO speed" is used to describe
c. a sensor's or film's sensitivity to light

4. It is best to turn a digital camera off when
d. changing or installing the memory card

5. All of the following are factors which control exposure except:
c. focus

6. If you are working with an automatic camera, and you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed, you are working in which mode?
d. aperture-priority

7. When working with a manual camera, you will know the roll of film is completely exposed when:
c. the advance lever will not turn

Cindi_Delaney
10-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Chapter 2--What do you think? Did I get them right?
Chapter 2:

1. The camera mechanism that regulates the amount of time film or the sensor is exposed to light is the:
b. shutter

2. What kind of camera allows you to change the position of the lens and back relative to each other so that you can more precisely control focus or perspective?
a. A view camera

3. Which of the following would be a suggested shutter speed to stop the action of a child running, parallel to the film plane, about 25 ft from the camera?
d. 1/500 sec

4. The adjustable diaphragm which is made of metal blades that determines the amount of light entering the camera is called:
c. lens aperture

5. An f-stop which would admit a large amount of light into the camera and produce very little depth of field would be:
a. f/2

6. Which of the following numbers is not a standard f-stop?
a. f/.10

7. Which of the following f-stops would represent stopping down 1/2 stop from f/2.8?
c. f/3.4

8. What shutter speed setting keeps the shutter open as long as the release button is held down?
b. B (bulb setting)
9. Parallax error occurs in which type of camera:
b. rangefinder

10. A type of shutter that is constructed with a number of small overlapping metal blades and is usually located inside the lens itself in view cameras, point and shoot cameras, and many medium-format cameras is called a:
d. leaf shutter

Cindi_Delaney
10-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Chapter 3:

1. The relationship between focal length and angle of view is such that the shorter the focal length the:
a. wider the angle of view

2. A technique that is used to maintain sharp focus on a subject that is moving toward you is called:
d. follow focus

3. A wide-area focus system is an automatic focusing system that allows the photographer to:
c. shoot at fast shutter speeds

4. The relative aperture is equal to the lens focal length divided by the:
c. aperture diameter

5. Which of the following is not likely to affect the depth of field?
b. the shutter speed

6. A useful focusing technique to use when you want to shoot rapidly in a situation in which you can predict the approximately where, if not exactly when, action will take place is called:
b. Zone focusing

7. The relationship between focal length and magnification is such that the longer the focal length the:
c. greater the magnification

8. When buying a lens, it is a good idea to buy a lens shade that
c. matches the focal length of the lens

9. Most lenses are sharpest at an aperture closed down
b. one or two f-stops from the widest.

just_jenny
10-12-2009, 02:38 AM
I have the answers, and will post the correct ones soon. I am going to give it another day or two in case anyone else wants to post.

just_jenny
10-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Cindi...you did a great job on the questions!

Chapter One - 100%

Chapter Two - Question 3 was 1/250. A shutter speed of 1/250 would be sufficient to stop the action, so 1/500 would not be necessary.

Chapter Three - Question 3 was choose the area that will be in focus.
A wide-area focus system feature does not affect shutter speed.

Good job, and thank you for participating!

Cindi_Delaney
10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks Jenny, was hoping to stir discussion, but maybe in the next chapter. :)

just_jenny
10-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks Jenny, was hoping to stir discussion, but maybe in the next chapter. :)

Thanks for the effort! I am trying, but am not having much luck. Any chance you would be interested in the live discussion?

Cindi_Delaney
10-14-2009, 06:48 AM
I'd be interested. Maybe we could start with once a week. What times work for you.

Lori_Clapp
10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm a little behind on this thread. I just took the tests, and comparing my answers to Cindi, I passed chapter 1, missed one on chapter 2, and need to READ chapter 3!! I read it awhile ago, but obviously need to do it again!! I will get caught up on the studying this week!

I'm not sure how to discuss in this thread - maybe when I have studied I will have more questions or comments to post. Don't give up yet, we will get discussions going!!

I won't bother to post my answers now since I'm behind.

Hey Jenny - are you in Cheyenne/Lander? I think I met you at our Wyoming PPA conference last year. I could be wrong - but your avatar looks like a Jenny I remember.

bwalker
10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm a little behind on this thread. I just took the tests, and comparing my answers to Cindi, I passed chapter 1, missed one on chapter 2, and need to READ chapter 3!! I read it awhile ago, but obviously need to do it again!! I will get caught up on the studying this week!

I'm not sure how to discuss in this thread - maybe when I have studied I will have more questions or comments to post. Don't give up yet, we will get discussions going!!

I won't bother to post my answers now since I'm behind.

Hey Jenny - are you in Cheyenne/Lander? I think I met you at our Wyoming PPA conference last year. I could be wrong - but your avatar looks like a Jenny I remember.

I'm new here but I would very much be up for a discussion group as well.

just_jenny
10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm new here but I would very much be up for a discussion group as well.

Lori...Yes I am from Lander! HAHA! I kept thinking that your photo looked familiar, but thought "How can that be?" Are you going to Imaging this year?

Billy...we are on chapter 4 this week, so work on getting caught up right now. We will be holding a live discussion each week. If you are interested in participating in that, then please send me a private message telling me when you are available. I will be setting the day and time later today or tomorrow. Live discussions will be beneficial to anyone serious about taking the test.

bwalker
10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Photography by Barbara London, 9th edition. It is the book used to study for the CPP exam.

I have the 8th edition. Given the expense of the book I'm hoping to avoid having to purchase the 9th. I do study quite a bit of other material so hopefully I can cover for the lack of the 9th edition.

just_jenny
10-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I have the 8th edition. Given the expense of the book I'm hoping to avoid having to purchase the 9th. I do study quite a bit of other material so hopefully I can cover for the lack of the 9th edition.

You should be fine with the 8th edition. There are several others using that edition as well.

Cindi_Delaney
10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Lori,
Just remember that I did miss two questions, so use Jenny's answers.

Stanzman
11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Jenny, I disagree with several of your answers, can you post them?

MaryLou
11-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Chapter 1
1 d
2 b
3 c
4 d
5 c
6 c
7 c

chapter 2
1 b
2 d
3 c
4 a
5 a
6 d
7 a
8 b
9 ?
10 d

chapter 3
1 a
2 d
3 ?
4 ?
5 b
6 b
7 c
8 a
9 a

ok, i'm not sure how i did but i obviously don't know a few things here!! Thanks for doing this jenny... I'm studying & these are the last chapter that i read!! Perfect timing!

Lou