PDA

View Full Version : Cases, next question

A_I_D
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Me again,

What cases do you recommend? I've always hand delivered prints in archival boxes. Is that what the rules are referring to?
Thanks again,
JC Homola
www.theactiveintellect.com

D._Craig_Flory
04-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi A;

They are sold by a number of camera dealers including B&H Photo in NYC and Adorama Photo in NYC. They are shipping cases with metal corners for protection. There is an area to put a shipping label. I own two and advise buying one at least 3" deep. I have a 3" and a 2" and the 3" allows more room for protective layers between prints. If you belong to your state photog. assn, check with others who compete a lot to see the brand they like. One good one is made by Fiberbilt.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Wilson_Hitchings
04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
...we all have to so please fill in the appropriate information, thanks!

Jackie_Haggerty
04-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Craig,

Could you advise which case dimentions you would recommend. Up to what size print should the case hold? For 16x20 prints, do you order that size or do you step it up?

Jackie

Mark_Levesque
04-14-2006, 01:13 AM
I think you want the print size for the inner dimensions of the case, lest the prints slide around.

D._Craig_Flory
04-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi Jackie;

You order a case to hold 16X20's. I own two ... one is 2" deep and one is 3" deep. I recommend getting at least a 3" one. It allows for lots of protection around the prints. If I did it over, I would have bought one 3" and one 4" or 5" deep. When I teach Photoshop, it allows more sample prints.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Buddy_Stewart
04-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Approved print cases come in several "styles". I have a total of seven, four of which are the fiber cases with metal reinforced corners as Craig talks about in the previous post and two are the cloth (Tenba material) cases with a cut-out for the prints inside and a zipper closure and one with synthetic sides, metal reinforcement and padded interior. I am still using my first fiber case from 1968 although the shippers have removed the straps over the years. My favorite and well worth the extra money IMO are the cloth cases for their ease of loading, the protection they give prints and their reuse-ability. They load up in a matter of seconds and without any extra care (no special packing). Simply place the print in the case and place one of the padded seperators in before the next print then another seperator and so on and so on. I literally don't do anything else to protect the prints and I've never had one damaged from shipping. I have had dinged corners from shipping in the fiber cases. They are more expensive but well worth it for ease of use and protection of the prints. I would get a case to hold 20x24s (you'll be a Master one of these days and will want to enter those 24 inch images). There are many camera stores handling the fiber cases. The Tenba cases are handled by Tenba and Tallyns of Peoria.
I would also recommend getting a second case so you have one for your local and state competitions while your other case is at the International competition.
Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-Chairman

Jackie_Haggerty
04-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Approved print cases come in several "styles". I have a total of seven, four of which are the fiber cases with metal reinforced corners as Craig talks about in the previous post and two are the cloth (Tenba material) cases with a cut-out for the prints inside and a zipper closure and one with synthetic sides, metal reinforcement and padded interior. I am still using my first fiber case from 1968 although the shippers have removed the straps over the years. My favorite and well worth the extra money IMO are the cloth cases for their ease of loading, the protection they give prints and their reuse-ability. They load up in a matter of seconds and without any extra care (no special packing). Simply place the print in the case and place one of the padded seperators in before the next print then another seperator and so on and so on. I literally don't do anything else to protect the prints and I've never had one damaged from shipping. I have had dinged corners from shipping in the fiber cases. They are more expensive but well worth it for ease of use and protection of the prints. I would get a case to hold 20x24s (you'll be a Master one of these days and will want to enter those 24 inch images). There are many camera stores handling the fiber cases. The Tenba cases are handled by Tenba and Tallyns of Peoria.
I would also recommend getting a second case so you have one for your local and state competitions while your other case is at the International competition.
Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-Chairman

Do you have a link for those? I'm not coming up with anything with my search....?

J._A._Wieczorek
04-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Jackie,

Fiberbilt makes the shipping cases for print competition. I would recommend at least a 2" depth, 3" if you are planning on submitting an album.

Here is a link to Calumet Photo

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=cat.CatTree&filter=148&filterField=2&ac.cat.CatTree.itemDetail.param=230;357;148;&treeType=itemDetail

And one to Tallyn's

http://www.tallyns.com

Search Print Case

-Jeremy