PDA

View Full Version : images that are not 16x20

A_I_D
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Hello all,

I intend to enter the print competition for the first time.

Most of my images are not standard sizes that conform to the 16x20 format that is required.
Many are square or semi-panoramic in nature. (12x12 or 8x16 for example)

I'm concerned that if I add space (probably black to match the images) around the core image to create a 16x20 size, it's going to look odd and detract from the overall effect.

Do any of you have this issue? How do you get around it? I have created "mattes" in photoshop to add size, using borders to give the effect of a cut matte. Is this frowned upon?

Sigh, so many questions.
Thank you for your assistance.
JC Homola
www.theactiveintellect.com

Linda_Gregory
04-11-2006, 04:28 PM
JC,

Many, if not most convention prints are placed on a black background to set the stage in the bright lights and bring more attention to the image. The image is usually placed to put the main point of interest in one of the corners of 'thirds' and many times with a border of color to hold you in.

My examples are at www.exais.com/comp if you'd like to see how I did it. Of course, once they were printed and mounted with the finish on, I wanted to change them but such is life! I''ve never been a flower arranger or painter because I'd never consider it finished, the same with prints.

Linda Gregory

A_I_D
04-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Thank you Linda,
That helps alot. I've done that sort of "matteing" before, just wasn't sure if it was acceptable for this competition. Not all allow that sort of addition to your prints.

Time to open up PS and get to work!

JC Homola

D._Craig_Flory
04-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Hi A;

I suggest that you buy one of the Loan Collection Books. You can get them from Marathon Press. Look at how many merit images used a step mount. Also ... go my state's photog. assn. web site and watch the slide show of blue ribbon images from competition last year. www.ppaofpa.org .

I'm attaching my lesson on step-mounts. One more idea ... find out where, and when, your state photog. assn. holds their annual print competition. See if it's an open judging. The best thing is to see the panel of judges work.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

A_I_D
04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanky you Sir!
I assmume the names and titles are only for the slide show.

That was a tremendous help,, I'll be working on my intended images to adjust for the 16x20, with presentation in mind.

JC Homola
www.theactiveintellect.com

George_Hawkins
04-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Also, having worked on print committees at state and regional, one important thing to do is read and follow the print rules of the association to which you plan to enter. If you have questions, I hope the chair of that print committee would be willing to answer any questions, or send you to a "veteran" competitor.

Good Luck, George