PDA

View Full Version : Judges Workshop

Keith_A_Howe
09-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Here is an email Helen Yancy sent out to all the judges today. The judges workshop is a requirment to become an affiliate juror but it's also a great way to learn how to improve your work and your scores in competition.

Here's the email from Helen -
we will be offering the Judges Workshop – a full 3 day class – at IUSA. This will be additional to the class in June for people who might be able to attend in January instead of June, as they are coming to the convention anyway. Tell your friends that want to become a PPA judge, as this will fulfill one of the requirements. They will be required to attend the complete 3 days, preceding IUSA. Once registered, there will be a drawing and one lucky person will get the class tuition free!

Here's that link:
http://www.imagingusa.org/classes/#preSEPCON

Keith

TracyeGibson
09-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Is the 395 just for people training to be a juror, or is that the price for anyone attending? I would be interested but since I just started competing last year the 395 is a little steep since I would be no where close to becoming a print judge. ;)

Keith_A_Howe
09-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I assume anyone taking the class has to pay the registration. If you think it will be several years until you are ready to apply for juror, you might want to wait. I think there is a time limit between taking the class and finishing the requirements or you have to retake the class. Not positive on that.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
09-24-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up !

Keith_A_Howe
09-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Rick,
I think they did this just for you! You knew they would never let you take the class during actually judging because that means you wouldn't be able to work crew!

Keith

Rick_Massarini
09-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Rick,
I think they did this just for you! You knew they would never let you take the class during actually judging because that means you wouldn't be able to work crew!

Keith
Looks like I'm going to have to bow out of helping Ding and the PEC members set up the exhibit on Saturday at this years convention ! Since this is the first time that PEC is offering this at the convention, I'm not going to miss the opportunity to officially take the class. If I miss this one, I may have to wait until they find someone crazy enough to do my job at the judging. I'm gonna have to call up you know who and thank her! Who knows, after I cover the class, maybe they'll let me judge for a print or two here or there... as long as I can judge and still do my regular job at the judging too - 'cause you know that I'm not gonna stop doing my regular gig just because I might have juror status - the show must go on !!!

Joe_Campanellie
09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Is there any info about becoming an affiliate juror. I know that the class is required but beyond that I'm not sure.

Keith mentioned a time limit between the class and the other requirements. Does anybody know what that is.

TracyeGibson
09-24-2009, 01:55 PM
I assume anyone taking the class has to pay the registration. If you think it will be several years until you are ready to apply for juror, you might want to wait. I think there is a time limit between taking the class and finishing the requirements or you have to retake the class. Not positive on that.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I just started competing last year, so it will be a while, but I know this is something I will want to do. There were issues with the judging at regionals this year and I know if you want to fix something you have to get involved, don't just complain. ;)

I was just interested in the process judges go through, to try to help my own work.

Keith_A_Howe
09-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I was just interested in the process judges go through, to try to help my own work.

Well the Judge's workshop would certainly help you with that! I talked to Helen this AM and she did not have her papers in front of her so she couldn't be 100% certain, but off the top of her head she remembers it as you have to complete the requirments for affiliate juror within 3 years of taking the class. You need 18 print merits to qualify for juror status. There are also requirments for the number of non affiliate judgings you must do in that 3 year period and I think it's 5 letters of recomendation from current jurors. You used to be able to start accumualting the required judgings and letts before you took the class. I assume that's still true but I don't know for sure.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
09-29-2009, 05:11 AM
I just signed up for the judging class. Now I have to call Ding and let him know that I may not be able to help put up the print exhibit on Saturday since I may still be in the class.