PDA

View Full Version : Maternity Image for Critique

ChontelleBrown
09-12-2009, 03:16 AM
I am trying to get an early start for Nationals and would appreciate critique on this image. Does it have potential to go loan?

Thanks!

http://www.cottonblossoms.net/Anne0001.jpg

Joe_Campanellie
09-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Would like to see some more room in front of her so you had more space to lead into her.

Depending on the panel they may have a problem with her nose breaking the plane of her face.

Keith_A_Howe
09-12-2009, 04:46 AM
This is a very lovely image and I would be happy to have it hanging in my studio. That being said, for an image to merit it can have a few issues and still merit if what is strong about the print outweighs what is a shortfall. In order to go loan, it is literally the best of the best. It pretty much needs to be awesome across the board in all 12 elements. It is difficult to tell for sure on a low res file from my laptop moniter but it appears that there is a loss of detail in the white fabric across her bust line. The black hair seems to have blocked up. This is a subject matter and a specific pose that has been entered a great deal in recent years. While we never compare one print to another, when you have seen something many times it loses it's power to make an imact. You ask specifically about loan collection so I assume that is your goal? I would feel comfortable having you enter this print, but I wouldn't feel confident that it would make loan. My opinion might change if I saw the actual print. I would also suggest that this be presented as a watercolor print. I like the Epson watercolor paper the best. It has a great velvety look. The watercolor paper some labs use is too heavily textured.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Something else that I would suggest. I think you need to remove the hair showing on the far side of her face, especially the little point sticking out of her chin.

If you feel really confident in your PS skills, you can fix the profile issue that Joe mentioned. I have done it before on comp prints where the profile was a little off but never on a print where the head size was this large in the image. I think it would be hard to achieve satisfactorialy.

Keith

ChontelleBrown
09-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Joe and Keith,
Thank you both, this is great information. Yes, I kicked myself numerous times about her profile. I guess I have become somewhat 'immune' to it after seeing the image so much.

Yes, I am trying to aim higher like the thread that was posted a while back (I forget who it was), if your goal is to score 100 and you fall short then, you may still merit.

I have two more versions of this image, will either of these work better? Keith, you mentioned her hair is blocked up. I didn't do anything in processing that would have affected this, is there something I can do to fix it? I will also check the original for detail around the bust line, I did us smudge/blur quite a bit in that area.

Perhaps this is an image I can use as a filler? If I am reading correctly, it has potential to merit?

Thank you both again, I really appreciate the feedback.

Chontelle

http://www.cottonblossoms.net/Anne0002.jpg
http://www.cottonblossoms.net/Anne0003.jpg

Joe_Campanellie
09-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Not sure what Keith will say but I think I like the last one the best. Nose is barely breaking the plain of the face and in this case looks like a lot easier fix than the first one you posted.

Like the expression and the tip of the head back towards the camera position also.

Bust line doesn't look as blown out either. With her hand there it gives you some separation from the background.

I see this as a nice slim line. Don't have enough space to the left of her but you can easily add canvas to fix that.

Could make a nice painter image too.