View Full Version : Would like a critique... Thanks

Carver_Shivers
09-11-2009, 11:11 PM
http://www.shiversgallery.com/postimages/the maid _013.jpg

and a close up

http://www.shiversgallery.com/postimages/closeup the maid _013.jpg

Ron_Jackson
09-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Carver I am so impressed. The moment I saw this, I thought of the old masters. This really does have an old world feel to it. The pose, the lighting and the brush strokes and color. Well done!

Stan_Lawrence
09-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Carver, very nice..... the only thing you might want to look at is her hair. There are some great brushes out there for hair, that might help. Everything else, looks great. :cool:

Carver_Shivers
09-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Thank you both!! Was curious, would this go in print comp?

Angela_Lawson
09-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Carver,

Hi. Beautiful job. I'm not able to say anything about Print Comp, as I've only entered one Regional, and didn't quite make it with any of my images. However, I have a thought about the image itself. With the way you have captured it, and painted it, it looks very old world (like Ron mentioned). The only thing that I see that detracts a little from the timeless look, are her necklaces. They just don't seem to fit with the overall look of the finished image. Does that make sense? Mind you, I've never done a painting, so I don't know if it is feasible to try and remove them or not, but just thought it might be worth trying.

Angela

KirkDarling
09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Carver I am so impressed. The moment I saw this, I thought of the old masters. This really does have an old world feel to it. The pose, the lighting and the brush strokes and color. Well done!

The only problem is that the old Dutch masters would not score that well in terms of traditional pose rules. This is one of the areas judging photography and painting differ.

Maybe it's because painting is still considered somewhat "superior" to photography in terms of the tactile aspects of the craft that photographers judge ourselves much more severely in other areas like posing and lighting.

I like it much, Carver, although as Stan says, you might want to look again at how you've done the hair. The necklaces don't bother me--I like them.

Ron_Jackson
09-13-2009, 01:43 AM
And I personally don't have an issue with the necklace or the hair. I just looked at some of the work of the old masters in a few of my books. There are plenty of examples of hair painted very much like this. It is an overall mood or feel rather than a "more realistic" expression. Just my two cents.

Carver_Shivers
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks so much guys!!