PDA

View Full Version : test preparation

smccoy20
09-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Hello,
I am new to this site and I really would like to be certified by the PPA.
Can anyone suggest any study aids? Are there any books the PPA suggest we should study? Is there a practice exam we can take?
If there are any tips or advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sandra

Michael_Gan
09-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Many people have posted in this certification section about studying from the book "Photography" by Upton/London. If you will search through the past threads, there are even some sample questions right here on this forum, as well as study questions that the Book has online.

One very important thing about the exam: The questions will look different than the book. The reason for this is because the questions in the certification exam were re-written to suit real world working applications. The commission felt that the candidates should not be just "book smart" and memorize the information. You will find that if you are a practicing Professional Photographer, you will be able to answer the questions through your working knowledge. Then, when you submit your 20 images, your images should reflect what you took in the written exam.

Most candidates don't think of this, and they wind up really surprised that the questions are different than what the book has.

Betsy_Finn
09-05-2009, 12:29 PM
What Michael said ;).

Plus... Next week, there will be a free PPA member webinar on Certification, which you might find helpful:
http://www.ppa.com/education-events/webinars/090909_certification.php.

And then here's a list of some compiled texts, and stuff I found helpful when I was prepping for the exam:
http://learnwithbetsy.com/certification.

Just remember Michael's point that if you're a working pro, you should already know most of this stuff.

smccoy20
09-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Hello,
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

Sandra:)

D._Craig_Flory
09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Sandra; As a CPP Liaison here, in Pennsylvania, I recommend finding out who the liaison is for Rhode Island. Contact them to see where they give the exam as well as when & what time.