PDA

View Full Version : Advise about mounting mistake on comp print that needs to mail today.

laurapiazza24
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm entering some prints at PPANE and ordered a couple from Miller's on monday. i just got them and was horrified to see that i accidentally ordered them on 3/4 foam core! I have to send the prints in today to meet hte deadline. Does anyone know if they'll be accepted on such thick foam core? :eek:
(guess that'll teach me to wait until the last minute)

Thanks!

Betsy_Finn
09-04-2009, 06:23 PM
what do the PPANE rules say? Usually there is a thickness maximium. You could try shaving the foamcore down to meet the max. thickness allowed.

laurapiazza24
09-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Betsy,
i was thinking of that, but i am sure i'd damage the print. the rules aren't specific on maximum thickness. this is what it says in the rules.

MOUNTING
1. Print entries must be permanently mounted on standard mount material. (e.g. 3x mat board, gator board, ΒΌ” foam or sintra.) No masonite, glass, stretcher or conventional frames are allowed.

2. Images of any shape and size are allowed and must be mounted on 16 x 20 mount board. (recommended mounting thickness is 1/8" to 3/8")

3. No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.

Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The
decision of the Photographic Exhibitions Committee is final.

Keith_A_Howe
09-04-2009, 06:45 PM
First off PPANE is an affiliated judging so it must follow PEC/PPA rules. As such there is no thickness regulations. You can send it in mounted on a brick if you want. However it will not be displayed in the show if it can't be secured on the rack. At national they are hung with the rod and hook system, so it definately won't be able to be displayed.

Keith

laurapiazza24
09-04-2009, 06:52 PM
thanks Keith!

mrbarton
09-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Have you called the print chair? There might be a bit of grace depending on when the judging is and Miller's could overnight them directly to the site. This said, I have not idea when the comp is. . . . If they made a mistake they should be able to fix it. Might be an option. What a drag. Sorry to hear about it. I hope they look great despite the mounting though! Good providence!

Corrie_Zacharias
09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
PPANE prints need to be received by the 9th, or you have to pay a late fee.

Keith_A_Howe
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Laura,

I talked to Helen so I could be sure I was giving you accurate information. Helen will be your jury chair at PPANE - so rest assured I did not mention your name. She said the prints will be judged and if the thickness is questioned she will instruct the judges to disregard the thickness. The print will be sealed if it scores 80 or above. After that she cannot control whether is it displayed or not. You will have the option to reprint and remount befoire national even with a seal. What you would have to do, when you send them on to national next year, is send in the too thick print that bears the seal along with the new IDENTICAL except for thickness reprint and a letter of explanation . The seal would then be transfered to the remade thinner print. which could be safely displayed in the show.

Next thing - what color is the foam core? If it is white core on a medium to low key print you DEFINATELY want to tape the edges with black tape. Otherwise as the print spins around on the turntable there will be a flash of white - very distracting! If it is a high key print, then of course leave the edge white. If it's black core then you are fine.

Keith

laurapiazza24
09-10-2009, 12:01 AM
thanks for this Keith. after i got your first message, i didnt' think to log back in. luckily the mat is black as is the border so taping was not necessary. i would not have known to do that, so that's why i say luckily!
thanks again for your help.

Laura