PDA

View Full Version : Which Print Competitions do you enter?

Betsy_Finn
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm curious which PPA affiliate print competitions others are entering. I've been competing at the local, state, regional, and national level...what about others?

Cheri_MacCallum
09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
We don't have a local affiliate, but each year I enter a round of prints at our state, regional and finally ppa. Those prints get a lot of miles on the over the year!

Joe_Campanellie
09-01-2009, 11:37 PM
My wife and I also belong to two states...Pennsylvania and Maryland so I compete with them as well as PPA and our SEPPA regional.

I guess you could call me addicted but I think it has paid off for me and what I wanted out of it. But everyone has to set their own goals so far as print competition. It's up to each person what they want to get out of the process.

Zack_Davis
09-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I compete I just use my pen name "Jeff Dachowski"! :D :p

(note: that was a joke)

Keith_A_Howe
09-02-2009, 12:19 AM
I think it has paid off for me and what I wanted out of it.

Uhhh . . . yay . . . I guess SO!!!!!!!

Bet you are still floating! I know I would be.
Keith

Joe_Campanellie
09-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Yeah...still floating.

Been quite a year for me that's for sure. On top of all the good things got a message from PPA today about an Excellence In Imaging Award.

Nashville will be a heck of a convention. If they can all get the time off the whole family wants to come to the ASP banquet for the Fellowship presentation.

bob_hancock
09-02-2009, 03:07 AM
Have been a full time professional Photographer for 27 years. Sorry to say! Never entered a competition until 2004.
Now I enjoy entering. State Pennsylvania ..... Local Triangle ... Regionals and Nationals.
Two years ago hotel guest purchased a large print from image entered in Pittsburgh. Green Merits!

Keith_A_Howe
09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Betsy,

Because we have a lot of newcomers to competition on this forum, I just wanted to clarify something about your survey question. There are state and local affiliates of PPA. Those affiliates sometimes have print competitions. But those competitions are not regulated by PPA or PEC and they are not affilaited print competitions. An affiliated comp is one that is governed by PEC and is an official precursor to national comp. Or in other words anything scoring 80 and above will get a seal to receive a merit if it is sent on to national. Just because it is an affiliate organization - like a state or local - does not mean it is an affiliated competition. Wisconsin used to be the only single state that I know of that was an affiliate competion on it's own. So the only competitions that currently are affiliate comps are the regionals and of course national. In 2011 the new district system takes over and then the districts & national will be the only affiliate competitions.

Keith

Keith

Betsy_Finn
09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Good call :) thanks for adding that clarification Keith!

mrbarton
09-02-2009, 09:37 PM
4 cases a year at PPANI (Local)- 27 prints
1 case a year at APPI (State) - 6 prints
1 case a year at MARC (Regional) - 4 prints
1 case a year at SEPPA (borrowing someone else's region for EI) - 4 prints
1 EI case at Nationals, 1 Open case at Nationals - 8 prints

Having a good case is like having a good baseball team. If your players do well in AA, they'll do better in the Majors as they have paid their dues and you have tested them out. It's September and I've already entered 37 prints into some sort of PPA Affiliate or International Judging. That's a whole bunch of learning that can't be done anywhere else. (If Don Chick is reading, I'll point out that I've had 35 out of 37 score above 80 or merit and just last month got my first two dreaded 79's on the year. Not bad, but those 79's ruined a perfect streak). 12 more prints to go for a grand total of 49 in front of the lights on the year. There is nothing like learning from competition!

mrbarton
09-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh yeah, Don, that was in RED! Ha. Well, the part that seemed like it was in red. The rest is true.

Don_Chick
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
If Don Chick is reading, I'll point out that I've had 35 out of 37 score above 80 or merit and just last month got my first two dreaded 79's on the year. Not bad!

Michael, You're my new hero!!! Sorry Jeff.....

mrbarton
09-03-2009, 03:30 PM
More red typing. . . . .

Back to black. Seriously, there's such an opportunity in print competition. I always joke about the transition that happens in people's minds when they are entering. It usually starts out with "I'm not really happy with this case but let's see what happens". From there the fee gets paid and the paperwork is turned is with the case and then the waiting game. Then the amnesia and then the comment "those judges are such C$%#!!!! I can't believe I didn't merit!!!!" People like me are saying, "Um, what happened to 'I'm not really happy with my case?'" No response. I've also seem people really upset with judges and hating everything and then taking a bow when they win something! That makes me a laugh too! If they were SO bad when you were losing then you should have a hollow win too right?

Here's the punch line. The more we enter the fewer surprises we have. Several people are working on next June already. Those people will most likely do a little better if they use the system correctly. There are always surprises don't get me wrong, but they will be fewer if we've already heard comments and gotten a few scores. I saw a 100 print not even merit at nationals. I've seen the reverse. There are no absolutes. That said, albeit not perfect, there is a GREAT system in place. Use it.

Joe_Campanellie
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Maryland used to be a fairly aggressive state when it came to state print competition. We've had to cut back because of costs but at one time we used to have 5 monthly print competitions in which you could enter up to 6 prints.On top of that was our annual competition which you could enter up to 8 prints and 2 folios.

If that wasn't enough for me my wife and I also belong to Pennsylvania. Then our SEPPA competition and then PPA.So...there was plenty of opportunities to have the judges look at your prints and plenty of opportunities to learn the process. When I first jumped in in 1992 I wanted nothing more than to become a better photographer. All the other stuff has just been icing on the cake.

I guess what concerns me is what I see now on the state level. So many people enter a few competitions and then walk away cussing at the judges. So many people now want instant success without the work. Nothing happens over night. It takes times. It's an educational process.

I try to explain this to them but too many times it just seems to fall on deaf ears. There is so much to be gained from print competition but not if you are unable to approach it with an open mind and the ability to listen to criticism and adapt and change.

This is the first year that I have not competed on the state level in our monthly competitions. Took the year off to work on my Fellowship but I'll be right back in the middle of it come convention.

Joe_Campanellie
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
MIchael...I thought you couldn't switch regions. Meaning if you belong to MARC I didn't think you could send a case to SEPPA.

Unless MARC does not have an EI division.

But...I've never submitted multiple cases either. I think my wife would shoot me if I decided to go after EI.

mrbarton
09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Joe. MARC is open, SEPPA is EI. MARC doesn't offer EI so I have to borrow seals from you guys! SEPPA is really a great group. I was down there for about 8 hours this year. I drove down to see EI judging and then came back 900 miles. Well worth it. I'll probably stay longer this year.

Joe_Campanellie
09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Mary Jean and I really like the SEPPA crowd...really nice people and we have made a lot of friends over the years.

MJ and I went down there this year. Haven't been in a while. Got a little beat up on some prints I thought would do better. Talked to the judges after the judging and made some changes. Guessed it worked with four loan.

Afterwards let my daughter and wife talk me into driving to Florida to visit our kids. Made for a long trip home but had a good visit. And time to go to one of my favorite photo spots in St Augustine for avian photography.

Rick_Massarini
09-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Joe,

Right now, the last I heard, the only PPA regional that is allowed to judge Electronic Imaging images (for seals of approval) is SEPPA. So no matter where you live, if you want to enter a "regional" EI competition, SEPPA is the only one - so everyone uses the same regional... This may change with the PEC's new district plan - don't know - haven't seen it yet - but as of right now, I don't even know what states are going to be in what districts. If I hear of anything official from anyone on PEC, I'll let you know.

Joe_Campanellie
09-04-2009, 01:26 AM
I've seen the new list of new regions and the states they comprise...just can't put my finger on it right now.

SEPPA stayed pretty much the same with the exception of West VA becoming a member of SEPPA. Might have been some other changes but I can't remember them.

Rick_Massarini
09-04-2009, 03:47 AM
I've heard - unofficially - that SWPPA (Southwest) is going to grow from 5 states -Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico - to 10 states - adding in Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Missouri plus any International entries from Mexico. That's going to make Southwest a huge judging... Too bad SWPPA didn't pick up Nebraska too, that way I could look forward to seeing our friends from Nebraska at the regional too... But then we might become strapped for jurors and JC's... oh well...

mrbarton
09-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Joe, can you hear the soft sound of MEI calling your name?? I think it really is a fun category that is a great chance to learn. Heck, you've climbed all the other mountains why not this one? There is the whole Wife thing, though you've climbed every other mountain, why not not survive a gunshot wound!

Joe_Campanellie
09-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Maybe some time in the future. Been married for some 37 years and we work together too so I know when "not" to do things. Besides she was a great help in this whole Fellowship process and the amount of work, time, and expense it took to achieve that.

I think I'll sit back for a little while and enjoy all that before pressing on with another major life task.