PDA

View Full Version : Dog Print

Stephanie_Millner
08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Kind of considering this print for comp. Any thoughts? Would love some input...

Considering these names:

"Leader of the Pack"
"Fittin' In"
"Part of the Gang"

Thanks!
http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/dogs_composite.jpg

Angela_Lawson
08-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Steff,

How about "There's always one in every crowd" ?

Are they really all from the same household or did you bring them in separately and photoshop them together? The only thing that kinda got me was the pink and black shirt looked a little like a pair of underwear on the front of the dog. :) (But just a little, don't be mad, please).

Angela

Keith_A_Howe
08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Steff,

This is one of those prints that would have me out of my seat with my fingers crossed the whole way up to the print. I'd be saying "please let it be sharp, please let it be sharp" and if it was I would be punching a happy number.

As far as title, I once again ask Holly and she said "Gang Colors"

I just wanted to comment - for anyone else's benefit - notice how Steff handled the composition colorwise. The red shirt is balanced by the hot pink on the opposite end. The black shirt is balanced by the black headed dogs on the one end and the black trim on the pink shirt on the other side. If this print were challenged and a comment was made about the mixed keys or colors, that is exactly how I would counter that objection. Mixed keys is a bad idea as a general rule, but here Steff proves once again that they aren't really rules, more like suggestions. If you can ignore the 'rules" successfully and improve the print by doing so, then it adds to the overall impact of the image.

The only suggestion I have is I am not sure about the double line. On the actual print is may be just a tad too much. Try some other options - like a subtler color or just one line and see what you think. You may go back to this option, but at least experiment. Make sure technically it's good. On a second look I think I might be seeing a discrepancy in the whites - a sign of montaging - under some of the dogs front paws. Don't give the judges any reason to question the print.

Thumbs up . . . way up!
Keith

Cassandra_Sullivan
08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
LOVE it!
Title: "Dare to be different"

Heather_L._Smith
08-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I still can't help but think of Tommyboy when I see this... "fat guy in a little coat".... the Golden in the middle just looks so chunky compared to the other tiny little dogs!

You know I love it, Steff.

Mark_Levesque
08-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I think the girl has found her niche! You totally rock these dog shoots, Steff! Love this!

My title: "What's HE doing here?"

Joe_Campanellie
09-01-2009, 12:06 AM
I think it's one of those images that is going to need a really strong title. It needs the strong title to tie all the elements together and should be humorous...in my opinion.

And...like Keith says it will probably get the judges all out of their seats for the same reason. So...it needs to be tack sharp.

Stephanie_Millner
09-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Thank you so much for the input. This was a fun group - shot it yesterday with the help of FOUR members of the family plus my assistant. Rough shoot - took about 2 hours... and still ended up compositing a dog (or 6... you'll never know!)

Still trying to think of a title that addresses the color of the shirts (so it's intentional) - Thank you for pointing out the shirts. That was a tricky part in the first place. Mostly because some of the shirts the clients bought didn't quite fit the dogs that I wanted to put them on (although not the case for the golden - she has her own wardrobe - she's just... well, let's just say she has a thyroid condition.)

I like "Gang Colors" - any others?

Stephanie_Millner
09-01-2009, 02:22 AM
Oh, and it's sharp. I can give some detail shots later.

There is blushing though, which I didn't notice earlier. Easy fix.

Rick_Massarini
09-01-2009, 04:08 AM
Definitely Gang Colors. With a Genuine Holly Howe title - it's gotta hang !!!

Keith_A_Howe
09-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Holly came up with another title, but she said to tell you she doesn't like it as well as Gang Colors. Anyway her other title is -
All Dressed Up and No Place to Go

FWIW
Keith

Rick_Massarini
09-01-2009, 05:02 AM
I like the Gang Colors title since the title would seem to be able to help to overcome any possible issues that anyone might have with the two contrasting colors in the clothing.

Stephanie_Millner
09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Ok, here are the close-ups (posted a little too big, sorry!) for detail, tone range, clarity, etc... What say we?

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/dogs1.jpg

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/dogs2.jpg

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/dogs3.jpg

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/dogs4.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I am not seeing that discrepancy in the white around the paws in these close ups. But there is an obvious whiter outline around the golden's head. If I can see it here I will definately see it in the print. So be sure to fix that before you make the print. Working in and around the fur is time consuming, but it will be worth your effort IMO.

Keith

Jane_Lydick_Staid
09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Love it! Leave it to Holly to come up with the perfect title too.

Joe_Galioto
09-01-2009, 06:58 PM
steph,
what an awesome group!
you sure have a gift for puppy photography, you must smell like kibble?
(just kidding)
whatever you do, don't call it "who let the dogs out"

Angela_Lawson
09-01-2009, 09:38 PM
How about "Showing their True Colors" ? or just "True Colors" ?

Angela

Rob_Wilson
09-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Six is Enough

Julie_Poole
09-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Gang colors is my vote

Don_Chick
09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Very nice image, well done.