PDA

View Full Version : It's quiet, a little too quiet

mrbarton
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Just for the sake of having a new thread here I just want to say that print competition is really really swell and so is Jeff Dachowski.

mrbarton
08-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Oh yeah, and this might interest someone:

http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/poty.php

Linda_Gregory
08-26-2009, 03:21 PM
How can you have both platinum and gold?

Oh, and a BIG congrats!

Joe_Campanellie
08-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Probably entered two cases. One in Photographic Open and another in EI.

That's quite an accomplishment

Don_Chick
08-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh yeah, and this might interest someone:

http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/poty.php

Are you drawing attention to yourself? Ok, I'll play....

Congratulations Mr. Barton...... on your assessment of Mr. Dachowski! You're right he is swell.

Jeff_Dachowski
08-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Just for the sake of having a new thread here I just want to say that print competition is really really swell and so is Jeff Dachowski.

Michael,
This is a pretty controversial subject!!! Attention mods!!
Jeff

mrbarton
08-26-2009, 04:58 PM
No, I was calling attention to Jeff! Ha. I don't think I need an excuse to call attention to me. . . . I always get excited to see who is on this list. I like seeing new people that I know that have never been on there. It's cool to see people going diamond that I don't know as it's a great reminder of how big the photography world really is. Very cool. I'd offer congratulations but there's a really long list! I think we just saw it anyway. (By the way, it is kind of interesting that with a list that long I would be accused of wanting lime light.)

I guess I better get ready to have this removed by the moderators! Ha. It's been quiet in this neck of the woods for awhile so I think a little controversy is a good thing.

mrbarton
08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Oh yeah, I'll never tell. . . . Joe's probably right. . .

Sidenote: How many people are working on their cases for next year already? That's a great way to get a head start on having your name on the list next year. I'd personally LOVE to see it get a WHOLE lot longer!!!!!!! Who's in?

Linda_Gregory
08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I've been working on mine awhile as I gave myself a year off last year. :) I have two ready to go and an idea for a second...waiting for inspiration for #4.

Don_Chick
08-26-2009, 05:15 PM
it is kind of interesting that with a list that long I would be accused of wanting lime light.

Didn't you start this thread "tongue-in-cheek"? Maybe I should have colored my statement in green to convey the same...

Stephanie_Millner
08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
2 definite ones so far. Possible 3rd. No clue as to #4, but I want them all to be pets.

mrbarton
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey Don! Don't you see the green in my response? Perhaps I'm a little too dry! Ha. It's. All good! Congrats to you on your POTY! You are on a good ride!

Joe_Campanellie
08-26-2009, 05:53 PM
My wife says I should take a year off. Would be pretty hard to top all the good things that have happened to me this year.

Cassandra_Sullivan
08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
my regional comp is in 3 weeks and I've got nothing prepared. Nada.

Don_Chick
08-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey Don! Don't you see the green in my response? Perhaps I'm a little too dry! Ha. It's. All good! Congrats to you on your POTY! You are on a good ride!

Oh you, Mr. Barton....... You should have put the lime in ".."'s

It was so dry, I didn't even pick up on it!

TracyeGibson
08-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey Cassandra my regional is in 3 weeks too and I am in the same boat! I've been working on stuff for awhile and thought I had some but after print critiques Sunday I am back to only one for sure. I have several others that were borderline 'merit' but I don't know if I want to fix them or find something new. I don't 'just want a merit', I want something great!

Don_Chick
08-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I am back to only one for sure.

There is no "for sure" in print competition! :D:D

I heard (from a reliable source) of a print that scored 74 at regional going loan at national.

Joe_Campanellie
08-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Many times I have thought I had a "for sure" and wound up getting kicked in the teeth. Our regional convention was that way. Had some "for sures" that I had very high hopes for and they tanked.

But...I learned from it. Talked to the judges and made some corrections. Bottom line was four loans and an ASP Gold Medallion and just this week ASP Fellowship. So many of us just aren't willing to ask for help or we take critiques the wrong way or way to personal.

I have learned that if you want to be successful at something then you need to seek out the experts and get their help. You will be surprised just how willing they will be to help you.

mrbarton
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Amen to that Joe! Amen. Congrats on your awards and especially your Fellowship. That's HUGE!! The fact is we are not competing against anyone except ourselves. We may get awards that others do not but that is merely a reflection of our own hard work. The reward is far greater than any of that. Admittedly you are putting my over the top year to shame! Ha. Wait, that's a contradiction. . . .

TracyeGibson
08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
There is no "for sure" in print competition! :D:D

I heard (from a reliable source) of a print that scored 74 at regional going loan at national.

Haaaaa!!!!! Too funny! I meant that I was 'for sure' going to enter it, not that it was 'for sure' going to merit. ;) It actually has colors in it (it is a Painter piece) that some people 'get' and others don't. If you look at it for what it is, a 'Painting' of a dog, you get the blue fur (with the golden background placed behind to make the blues pop even more) in the black areas, . If you look at it to be PHOTO REALISTIC (which it isn't) you think, 'Wow, bad color shift'. Hopefully it will get judges who 'get it'. :D