PDA

View Full Version : RGB color space

Greg_Haag
08-07-2009, 02:12 PM
In the cpp info it says files are to be RGB my files are sRGB, could someone please tell me what is the best way for me to convert these to the RGB color space?
Thanks,
Greg

Linda_Gregory
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Greg, good question. rgb isn't a color space, really. there's sRGB and Adobergb...the instructions may need to be made clearer.

Ron_Jackson
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Simple. Open your file go to Edit, Convert to Profile, a window opens, click on the arrow on Destination Space, look down the list and find Adobe RGB (1998) and click Okay. Now you have converted the file.

Linda_Gregory
08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Ron, he didn't ask to go from srbg to adobe rgb but just plane ol' rgb...which doesn't exist.

Ron_Jackson
08-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Linda many people refer to Adobe RGB as just RGB. Very common.

Linda_Gregory
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
:) and many people refer to srgb as just rgb..it all depends on the world you live in!

Ron_Jackson
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Personally I have never heard anyone refer to sRGB as RGB because they are very very different profiles. However, many times people refer to Adobe RGB as just RGB as they are considered one in the same since there really isn't any other "RGB" other than ProRGB. sRGB is more often considered for a color space for the web as it is a bit smaller than RGB or should I say, Adobe RGB.

Linda_Gregory
08-07-2009, 04:44 PM
srgb is the main one for printing on wet process photograhic paper. there isn't a printer made that can capture adobe srb although some can use the color space. Many will clip the colors,lowering or raising contrast so in my world, rgb means srgb.

As I said, it depends on your world!

Ron_Jackson
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Saying sRGB but meaning RGB is like saying Blue when you mean Red. Makes no sense and in our world as professionals, we really should know the difference and be able to correctly use it.

Linda_Gregory
08-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I feel the same way about Adobe Rgb.

As stated in my first post, there IS no rgb.

Bob_Simons
08-07-2009, 05:19 PM
An RGB color space is any particular color space based on the RGB color model. There are dozens of them including the most popular for photographers sRGB, Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB. A few more are Apple RGB, Best RGB, Beta RGB, Bruce RGB, CIE RGB, ColorMatch RGB, ECI RGB, NTSC RGB, PAL/SECAM RGB, SMPTE-C RGB, Wide Gamut RGB, etc.

So, saying RGB but meaning Adobe RGB makes no sense either and is confusing, at best. It may be very common, but it is not correct nor is it professional. If PPA specifies that files be RGB then, by definition, sRGB or Adobe RGB files (or any of the other particular RGB color spaces) will meet that specification. If PPA really needs the files to be Adobe RGB then they should state that. My interpretation of the requirement would be that they want RGB (any RGB) and not CMYK, otherwise they should be more specific about which RGB they want.

So, Greg, based on that assumption about PPA's requirements, your sRGB files are already in one of the RGB color spaces, so you should be OK. There's no way to convert to plain RGB, since that doesn't exist. Now, if PPA really wants Adobe RGB files then it's easy to convert to that space.

Bob_Simons
08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, I just took a look at the CPP Certification Image Submission Guidelines and it states that the images should be "saved in RGB mode" which is a Photoshop mode and is very different from RGB color space. So it is just as I suspected that they just don't want the images saved in CMYK or Grayscale or Lab Color mode.

Greg, you're sRGB files are just fine.......