PDA

View Full Version : Possible comp print?

TracyeGibson
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I need critiques please! This is a possible competition print and before I do anymore work on it just wanted to get some feedback. I was going for an 'illustrative' look so I know the hair needs more work if I use it. Is the front of the dress too blown out (I could paint some folds back in)? Also you can't see both eyes due to the big sunglasses. Will that be an issue? I can't reshoot this since I was out of town (and she is three so I was grabbing what I could!). I was thinking about several different ideas for titles; "Whadda ya mean high maintenance?!?", "The Dainty Diva", "You're not the boss of me!", "Attitude? What attitude?!?", That's MISS Princess to you!".

Thanks for any help! If it wouldn't work for comp I would rather know now and get on to other prints

I posted the comp print crop and a close up of the face. I hope these are large enough to see. 400x400 is pretty small.

Keith_A_Howe
07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Tracey
It's just too small for me to tell. Can you host it on Photobucket so you can post it larger?

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Tracy,
She is cute, but I believe she is facing the wrong way. Her postion tells the judge to look to the right of her, ( my right), and since it is white space, my eye is off the print. Try flipping it and seeing if that stops the eye at her.

Jeff

TracyeGibson
07-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks Jeff! I flipped it in the photobucket account. Keith, I am not sure how to post this but I am guessing I just put the link?
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/TracyeGibson/pout.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/TracyeGibson/poutclose.jpg

I have the feeling I need to do more painting on her.

Joe_Galioto
07-28-2009, 09:26 PM
tracye,
very cute.
i think your going to have a problem with the eyeglasses. the right lens is not showing her eye the same way the left one is.
joe

D._Craig_Flory
07-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I agree with Joe ... it is not a ¾ view nor is it a profile. I also don't see the other arm giving it an amputated look. I love everything else.

TracyeGibson
07-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Yep, the eye thing is one of the issues I was wondering about. Those shades were kids but they were still quite big. This is one of those shots I just grabbed. I have a few more 'attitude' type shots of her I may work with instead, I just really loved her looking up and away, kind of the 'Charlie Brown talks to the teacher' look. Oh well. Her mom loved it, but I guess back to the drawing board for comp! Thanks guys!

Ron_Jackson
07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Forgive me for the intrustion but I am curious. Can this recrop work? Putting that one eye close to the 1/3 intersection. Like I said, just curious?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/voodoomagic_2006/poutcloseR1.jpg

TracyeGibson
07-28-2009, 11:01 PM
No prob Ron. The close up was just to see details. I was actually going to use the full length version with her looking into all of the space. Her arm gone doesn't bother me (actually the other eye not showing doesn't bother me either, but I knew that it may be in issue in print comp), but I don't think it would do as well cropped close.

Keith_A_Howe
07-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Tracey,

Nothing in print comp says you have to see both arms or both eyes, if the pose is such that you wouldn't. It's when a pose is awkward and your brain tells you there should be another eye or arm or foot or whatever and you don't see it, then it's an issue.

Yes it is a bit of a split profile but if you are doing painter anyway you could easily clean that up enough to make it a non-issue.

It needs the right title. I showed it to Holly and her title made me burst out laughing. That's usually a good sign. Anyway she said "Bring On The Frogs"

Not seeing the print of course, but just assuming the final print is what I believe it will be, I would merit it.

Keith
P.S. Make the stroke the lighter shade of pink from the boa. Right now its such a strong color it draws my eye out of the frame. I don't think it's too wide, just too bright.

John_Metcalfe
07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Tracye,

If anyone could turn this into a merit, it is you.

But I have a question for you.

Do you want to knock on the door and have them let you in
or
do you want to KICK THE DOOR DOWN?!

As a sample image you are questioning it and others are wishing for changes. I haven't seen much of your other images, but I know you have stronger work.

TracyeGibson
07-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Haaaa!!! Keith, I like Holly's title! That is EXACTLY the thing I was looking for. I will work on it and fix the stroke. Man! Does that mean you have to bow out if you are in on the judging at SW? ;)

John, thanks for the vote of confidence! You haven't seen much because I just started competing last year. I tend to like using the 'not so great' images that apeal to me emotionally and try to work them into something better. And gee, how did you know I am a KICK THE DOOR kind of gal? ;)

I will paint this more and see how it does for SWPPA in Sept, unless I come up with something better. Right now I am in kind of a creative funk and this little girl and her attitude appealed to me. I just need something fast (Sept) for regional comp but I will continually work for Nationals, even if I don't merit regionally. I will keep kicking doors though and see what happens!

Thanks!

John_Metcalfe
07-29-2009, 03:30 AM
Tracye,

You have already drawn attention to yourself. Your background, beliefs and results speak for themselves. I'd tip my cap if I wore one...

I expect great things from you.

Now, prove to us and yourself what you're made of!

TracyeGibson
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
You have already drawn attention to yourself.

Yeeks! As my sisters would say, "That could be a good thing, oooooooooor that could be a bad thing." ;)

Hee-hee! Thanks John! I'll give it my best!

Sarah_Johnston
07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Tracye- Holly is know for her titles. I believe now if it merits, with that title, you might owe her a box of chocolates!! A small price to pay.

TracyeGibson
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Tracye- Holly is know for her titles. I believe now if it merits, with that title, you might owe her a box of chocolates!! A small price to pay.

Haaa! Totally do-able!