PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Classes for 1st Timer

Missy50
07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
All of the classes look great! I hate to do the enni-minni-mini-mo thing. Does anyone recommend classes?

freelandphoto
07-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Missy,
I have never been to an Imaging USA, but I am going this year and am really excited! I signed up for the pre-classes, One: The business of Photography and the second: Speed shooting with the Pros. I will let you know that Sandy Puc' is a wonderful speaker and her "Tots 2 Teens" would be an awesome class to take. I hope that helps at all. And my name is Carrie Freeland, so maybe I will see you around Imaging USA! It's always nice to meet other professionals!

Missy50
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I have never been to one of her seminars. I have put a star by her name. :) I am excited too! Look forward to meeting you!

tracyallyn
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm definitely planning on going this year! Can't wait... it will be my first time! I'm looking at anything business end and lighting as I will be adding on a studio soon.

freelandphoto
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
If you ever get a chance to buy her DVD for bellies to babies before seeing the tots 2 teens. It's sort of a whole series she is doing. Her babies one has dramatically helped me work with babies because being 25 I have no children and not much experience with them. So she is a gold star for sure!!

Once it gets closer to Imaging, we will have to all email each other and meet up somewhere

my email is carrie@freelandphotos.com and website is www.freelandphotos.com

Jeff_Rodgers
08-19-2009, 03:32 AM
You have to be careful and not skip a class based on the very dry sounding class descriptions.

I just read the precon class descriptor for the one my wife Allison Rodgers is teaching with my buddy Carol Andrews. It nearly put me to sleep.

I don't know who wrote such dry stuff but I can tell you any class with Carol and Allison teaching will be very interesting. I will be there too and may even re-enact a Star Wars scene or two.

You just never know what kind of wacky hijinx will ensue.

Wait... Oh no did I break a unofficial or official rule that says I am not supposed to mention anything that I am involved in? Are the PPA police going to get after me! It's not like I am telling everyone to get up Monday morning to come see me and Allison on Platform at 7am talk about thermal coupling dampeners of sub space hyper drive systems and of course how to sell product designs.

oh wait I just did.

Betsy_Finn
08-19-2009, 03:43 AM
If you're having a hard time deciding... print out the schedule, and start circling your favorites. Cross out those you don't think would be beneficial to you at this point, and then evaluate the list. Where do you want to improve over the next year? (which of those classes look like they'd be helpful?).

I took a marked-up schedule like this with me to IUSA the past two years. The nice thing was... Even though I starred my "high priorities" I could still quickly reference which ones would also be interesting. I ended up making a few last minute mind-changes, and I also snuck out of one or two early to make another class, because, like Jeff said,... the descriptions don't always accurately capture the dynamics of the program.

In the end, though, there is only really so much you can take in at once. Make it a point to keep track of "life-changing tidbits" ... and choose which you need to implement when you get back to your studio :).

Missy50
08-19-2009, 09:01 PM
You have to be careful and not skip a class based on the very dry sounding class descriptions.

I just read the precon class descriptor for the one my wife Allison Rodgers is teaching with my buddy Carol Andrews. It nearly put me to sleep.

I don't know who wrote such dry stuff but I can tell you any class with Carol and Allison teaching will be very interesting. I will be there too and may even re-enact a Star Wars scene or two.

You just never know what kind of wacky hijinx will ensue.

Wait... Oh no did I break a unofficial or official rule that says I am not supposed to mention anything that I am involved in? Are the PPA police going to get after me! It's not like I am telling everyone to get up Monday morning to come see me and Allison on Platform at 7am talk about thermal coupling dampeners of sub space hyper drive systems and of course how to sell product designs.

oh wait I just did.

I will have to bring my DH for that one so he can translate.

Missy50
08-19-2009, 09:05 PM
If you're having a hard time deciding... print out the schedule, and start circling your favorites. Cross out those you don't think would be beneficial to you at this point, and then evaluate the list. Where do you want to improve over the next year? (which of those classes look like they'd be helpful?).

I took a marked-up schedule like this with me to IUSA the past two years. The nice thing was... Even though I starred my "high priorities" I could still quickly reference which ones would also be interesting. I ended up making a few last minute mind-changes, and I also snuck out of one or two early to make another class, because, like Jeff said,... the descriptions don't always accurately capture the dynamics of the program.

In the end, though, there is only really so much you can take in at once. Make it a point to keep track of "life-changing tidbits" ... and choose which you need to implement when you get back to your studio :).

So you do not have to register for classes when you register for convention (except for precon of course). My printed out sheet is already marked up. I think I need to print out another one. There are some that are I want to take that go on at the same time. sigh.

KristiSanger
08-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Jealous! New house + new computer (old one broke again) + slow business = no money to attend. So short of winning the contest (thanks Jeff for the shameless promotion of your link!), it looks like I'll be sitting it out again this year. :( Have fun for me though and learn a lot!!!

Jeff_Rodgers
08-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Jealous! New house + new computer (old one broke again) + slow business = no money to attend. So short of winning the contest (thanks Jeff for the shameless promotion of your link!), it looks like I'll be sitting it out again this year. :( Have fun for me though and learn a lot!!!

You have just as good a chance as everyone else to win.
The contest ends at the end of the month.

Heather_L._Smith
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
So you do not have to register for classes when you register for convention (except for precon of course).

Correct. It's completely open once you get there (outside of precon classes). I think the most important part is figuring out what you want to focus on, then go to classes that help you in that regard, or if you've heard something good about a particular speaker, then consider their class as well. I don't photograph weddings, but I went to a wedding class a few years ago that was phenomenal and I still use some of the things I learned in that class.

The precon classes can be hugely beneficial as well - a full 8 hours with an instructor in a small group (well, small-ish... like a few hundred rather than a few thousand). I think participation was around 6-8000 last year, so you'll be in Nashville with a LOT of photographers.

We had a little get-together last year for the ourppa'ers, which was a great opportunity to finally meet some of our online friends face-to-face. If you have friends going, it's also helpful to split up and then share notes later.

It's really a great experience, although I think sometimes I learn more in the "off" hours than I do during convention time!

Don_Chick
08-20-2009, 02:43 AM
You're welcome to come to my pre-con program!!

I'll be talking about sub-atomic particles too!

Christina_Showalter
09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
We've been marking which ones we want to attend as well. We'll be splitting up to take in more.

I hope we do a ourppa gathering this time because I really want to meet and greet! :)

Rick_Massarini
09-10-2009, 01:42 AM
I can recommend a few speakers that you might want to circle on your convention program:
Michael and Tina Timmons
Mark Garber and Jennifer Gilman
Anne Monteith
Bob Lloyd
Tony Corbel
Drake Busath
Joe Buissink
The Simones

catlinhumes
11-09-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm going for the first time too. I'm looking at just registering for a single day pass, and the Expo of course. Do you know if the Single day pass will allow me to attend to closing party?

George_Hawkins
11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I was not aware of single day pass. Might confirm! I thought pass was all or nothing. The all convention will include the Tuesday closing party.
Expo only is just that - no classes or evening gatherings.

Michael_Black
11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Skip Imaging and go see Gary Box at his studio for UBOX.

www.garybox.com

Call his studio to get on the waiting list. This would change you life.

mputman73
11-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Hey Missy,
I have never been to an Imaging USA, but I am going this year and am really excited! I signed up for the pre-classes, One: The business of Photography and the second: Speed shooting with the Pros. I will let you know that Sandy Puc' is a wonderful speaker and her "Tots 2 Teens" would be an awesome class to take. I hope that helps at all. And my name is Carrie Freeland, so maybe I will see you around Imaging USA! It's always nice to meet other professionals!

Those are the two pre-classes I'm doing too, Carrie! :) I'm getting way excited! I've never been to a convention for photography! :D