PDA

View Full Version : Need a critique

marcandmin
07-22-2009, 05:04 AM
We are getting ready for comp and did a shoot with this subject?! We have done the print competition for a few years and just haven't done well--78 & 79--we would love to merit with our prints. Would like to post a few for critiquehttp://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/highlitephotography/IMG_2970w.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
07-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Mindy;

I see a disembodied hand seemingly not connected to her. It is cropped too tight at the top and on the left side. Her hand is amputated & that arm is posed in an awkward way. If I were on a panel I'd score it no higher than a 75. Keep trying and posting.

Keith_A_Howe
07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I like the subject choice, the color combination, the background, the composition, the cropping and the lighting. What needs to improve is the pose ( especially her awkward right arm) and the expression. It's a very subtle thing, the difference beteen a serious expression and a bland expression. For a successful serious expression her eyes need to be more intense, we need to feel what she is thinking. Right now it looks like she is just waiting for the shutter to trip.

When I am on a panel scoring, I don't look at an image and say in my mind "weak pose no merit". Instead I am thinking about all the good things, like I listed above and weighing them against what is not as successful or in this case the pose and expression. I have to ask myself if the good is strong enough to outweigh the weaker elements. Sometimes a print can be weak in an area but everything else outweighs the shortfall. In this case I could maybe get by the expression, if it had a title that suggested she was waiting or upset by someone or something. But I would not feel the other elements outweighed the challenging pose, so I personaly would score this in the above average catergory.

Keith