PDA

View Full Version : SMS workshop, has anyone gone?

Kari_Douma
07-16-2009, 05:00 AM
I am just curious to here if anyone has gone to the SMS 3 day workshop. I am going in August, and I was hoping for some feedback. What did you like? Not like? Anything I should expect or not expect? I received the list of items I need to prepare. Any other pointers or tips before I go?

Michael_Gan
07-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Yep. Go in with an open mind, and listen to everything they tell you. You will thank them for it.

MarkTurner
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I attended last November, with Ann Monteith, Julia Woods, and Carol Andrews presenting. It was a fabulous, well-organized, information-packed eye-opening experience. I came away with a very good understanding of how to set up, price, market, and sell the portrait side of my business (which is very different from the editorial stock I'd been doing exclusively for nearly 15 years). I thought it was useful to have read the PPA Benchmark study ahead of time. I'm still struggling with marketing, but the pricing and sales aspects are in good shape for profitable sales. I just don't have enough of them yet.

-- Mark Turner
www.turnerphotographics.com (http://www.turnerphotographics.com)

jocool357
08-05-2009, 04:09 AM
Haven't gone yet but I will be there in Dallas this month.

Carol_Andrews
08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm Carol, and I'm one of the SMS instructors..... if you have specific questions, regarding the SMS classes, please feel free to contact the SMS office to ehlp give you that info. Also, on the PPA website, are actual success stories, based on PPA studios that are using our services....I appreciate Mark and Micheals endorsements for the classes....they are intense, and info packed....come with an open mind, and specific list of questions....review your list of questions at the end of the class and I think you'll find them anwsered....if not, we'll get you taken care of.
It is a real privilege to work with our members to help educate and secure better imagery and business practices for our professional photographic industry!!
Donale, are you coming to the 2 day or 3 day? I'll see you there!

MarkTurner
08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Having a list of questions in advance, as Carol suggested, is invaluable. In our class we all came in with different individual experience levels in the business. My needs weren't quite the same as the wedding photographer from Detroit suffering a major economic downturn. I had a full page of questions written down and got answers to most of them during the three days. The "stupid" question you ask may provide a great insight to someone else in the group so don't be afraid to speak up.

-- Mark Turner
www.turnerphotographics.com (http://www.turnerphotographics.com)