PDA

View Full Version : Competition Print Equipment and Metadata

Sherry_Piche
06-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Congratulations to everyone who merited! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful images as well. Does anyone care to share what camera they used for their images and what lenses? Any metadata you have would be great to share! Thanks.

Michael_Gan
06-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Congratulations to everyone who merited! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful images as well. Does anyone care to share what camera they used for their images and what lenses? Any metadata you have would be great to share! Thanks.Just some sage advice. Unless you're going to buy every camera and lens on this planet, just concentrate on the art of seeing. This is the commonality of all of these great images that were selected. If you are just starting, I would suggest one camera, one normal lens (like a 50mm full frame, or 35mm 1.5x frame) and set your camera on manual mode. You will learn to be a better photographer learning the basics.

Sherry_Piche
06-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks Michael, I appreciate that information.

However, I still am looking to see what others used if you're willing to share for learning purposes. I currently shoot with a Canon MarkII, 5D, use the 24-70 2.8 lens, 200 2.8, and 85 1.2.

As of today, I have 5 PPA Nationally merited prints.

Does anyone want to share what they shot their award winning images with? Thanks you.

Stephanie_Millner
06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Actually, that's a cool idea! Mine:
Canon 40D for both posted here.

"Meet me at the Boathouse" (showcase) 15mm fisheye 1/60 @ f/13 ISO 400 Av Mode (topaz in Post.)
http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/Millner_Boathouse.jpg

"Farewell, My Love" (merit) - 24-70 f2.8 1/60 @ f/13 ISO 100 Av Mode (mostly LR)
http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/Millner_Farewell-My-Love.jpg

Sherry_Piche
06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about. Thank you Stephanie!

LOVED the Boathouse image. Made me want to go there. Thank you for sharing. :D

Michael_Gan
06-27-2009, 11:08 PM
probably I should suggest that any discussions about equipment from this point on be done on a separate thread.

Forum Moderator

John_Metcalfe
06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Get ready! Wait for it!

Fuji S5

Nikon 105mm macro lens for 2 of them and Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 on the other 2.

But it wasn't the camera so much that made the images. (far from it! It probably held them back)
For me it was the subject matter, the lighting and the story...

BTW this trip I received (unofficially) 4 merited and all went loan. If you wish to see them just click my name. They're in an album.

Sherry_Piche
06-27-2009, 11:25 PM
No disrespect here, however, I think the images and the infomation go hand in hand. Take the pages of our PPA magazine where the "folio" images are highlighted and detailed information is given about the camera, lens, iso, etc. This is great information to share and I love the fact it is given in the PPA Folio pages.

Stephanie_Millner
06-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Sherry, I think what Michael means is that there should be a second thread titled something along the line of "Competition Print Equipment and Metadata" so people in the future can find it. Not that this should be separate from the prints. This info gets buried in a congratulatory thread like this one.

Michael, can you move over Sherry, John, and My posts and we can post the images there as well?

Sherry_Piche
06-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Great suggestion.

Marc_Benjamin
06-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Sherry, I think what Michael means is that there should be a second thread titled something along the line of "Competition Print Equipment and Metadata" so people in the future can find it. Not that this should be separate from the prints. This info gets buried in a congratulatory thread like this one.

I think it's fine to add the specs to the posts where the images are shared here. Yes this thread started out as a congratulatory but it evolved to showcase and sharing.

See now if we open up another thread then we start posting the images + scores + accolades all over again... How many threads do we really need?

Though........ like Gan and Metcalf, I'm not sure that the big value is of specs other than out of curiosity.