PDA

View Full Version : Comp Questions

idyphoto
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Just reviewed my print comp critique, and some of the things that were mentioned were actually things I had considered. I was a little disappointed because the person who critiqued my prints was not in the room when my loan image was discussed by the judges, and I really would have liked to have heard that (not for ego reasons, but for educational reasons!). All in all, I did learn a lot.

Anyway, when I was getting ready to enter my prints, I opted to go for physical mats instead of digital mats. My prints were at the shop being matted when I went online to enter and get the appropriate labels, etc. Now I probably misread the instructions, but when entering online I thought it said the digital files that I had to upload had to be 16 x 20. Therefore, I made my digital files 16 x 20 but with somewhat different matting than the actual prints since I couldn't duplicate the physical mats. And one of the things mentioned in my critique was the lack of a keyline or the color of the 'mat.'

My question is, are the digital files that we upload supposed to be 16 x 20 or can they just be the image? I know that I can make digital mats in the future to avoid this mess, but sometimes I like the old school look of a physical mat. I also understand that the judges look at the actual print and not the digital file, so for this comp I can ignore that part of my critique (but file it away for future reference).

Shoot, I thought I had more questions but can't think of them after writing this.

Keith_A_Howe
06-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Amy, I don't know what to tell you about uploading the images when you are using physical mats. But I will pass that info along to PEC. As this is the first year the critiques were done this way, on a moniter rather then with the actual prints, PEC is looking for feedback, especially to solve these kinds of bugs in the system.

On another note, the Loan collection books are printed from the files you submitted when you entered. So your loan image will appear in the loan back without the matting. I don't know if that is something you can get corrected directly with Marathon Press or not.

Keith

idyphoto
06-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks, Keith. I was hoping my loan image could get printed without the digital mat. I'll look into how to get that done. I was thinking that the book would have images similar to what we see in the opening pages of PP magazine, as those usually don't have any kind of mat.