PDA

View Full Version : Critiques from National

Keith_A_Howe
06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Watch your emails! I just got an email with the link to my critique.

Keith

Jonathan_Brown
06-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Keith,

I am so glad you posted about this. I just got my critique and I am curious as to how accurate it is as regard to merits and Loan images. According to it I got two loans but on the unofficial list it only listed one. Is the critique a pretty solid indicator of what went loan or can it be off sometimes?

I know that nothing is guaranteed until the official list comes out next week but I have to admit I am about to pop thinking I may have gotten 2 loans, my first ever. This will be a VERY LONG weekend until the office list come out.

Just wondering and thanks for all your help here on the boards.

Don_Chick
06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
The official list is posted

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=17268

http://www.ppa.com/pdfs/2009_pec_results.pdf

Jonathan_Brown
06-26-2009, 04:59 PM
OK so I just checked the list and I only have 2 so was the person doing the critique just off completely?

How does that happen?

How do I find out for sure that it was not missed off the list?

cjcastan
06-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I had the same thing in my critique. The video juror congratualted me on 3 merits whereas the list only shows 2 so I dunno.

Keith_A_Howe
06-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't know, I am just guessing here but this could be a possible explanation.
The critiques were done a new way this year. The judges did not have the actual prints in front of them, they were strictly looking at a moniter as they talked. So they did not have the back of the print to look at, to see loan, general, Showcase etc. they would have had to get that info from either some kind of list or maybe it was listed with the prints when they pulled them up, I don't know. But whatever, at the time they were doing critiques, it would have not been an official list. That's where there could be discrepencies. Once judging is all finished, the crew does a final check, then a final final check and sometimes a final final final check, matching what is marked on the back of the print, to the computer records. The back of the print is the official result. When you are dealing with 5000 prints mistakes are bound to happen. (Imagine if you get one print handler with dyslexia - that would be a nightmare! LOL!) That's why there are so many checks against the prints, and rechecks of the computer list and the records kept in each room. That's why it takes so long for the official list to be posted. And even with all the care and concern some things just get missed.

Another possible explanation, having spent many many hours in Hollywood (that's what the critique room used to be called at national - cause you were on camera, now I guess it will be called Public radio or something else) you get to a point where you almost can't talk straight. Imagine doing 8 hours of nothing but talking about prints all day. I can certainly excuse a judge for saying 2 when they meant 1, or other little slips of the tongue. It's unfortunate and frustrating if it happens to you, but it happens. Jonathan, you yourself made such a slip in your second post "I just checked the list and I only have 2" when what you meant to type was the list had you at 1.

So how to know the truth? For now I would trust the official list. If in the highly unlikely event your prints come back next winter and the back of the print says something different then the list, then contact Jim Dingwell and it will be corrected in your merit report.

Keith

Ok, I wrote this out and then waited to submit it until I could talk to Jim Dingwell. I was right, the results the critiquers had were on a temporary list. That is why the list is checked and rechecked so often, just like I said above. The list posted on the PPA website is the official results.

Now this is me talking not Jim. Do not start thinking that what this means is your prints merited or loaned and then were changed to not merit or not loan. What probably happened is a human error at some point before the temporary list was handed to the critiquing judge.

Linda_Gregory
06-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Keith,

I always had concerns about the critiques being done without the benefit of lights on the prints (you know, print 'down' for comp?) but now that they're showing them on a screen, can that be lightened for better critique? One I entered last year did well but was very, very dark (the castle one) and was great under the lights but in regular viewing lights or on the monitor, it was too dark.

Thoughts?

Keith_A_Howe
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
but now that they're showing them on a screen, can that be lightened for better critique?

Gees Linda, I can see that being a can of worms. Some people will say, like you, that their critique was not accurate because the print was too dark on the moniter. But if you lighten them up then some other person will say the critique was inaccurate because they lightened it too much. Personally, I don't want some other person fiddling around with how light or dark my prints are. I want to be in charge of that decscion.
Keith

cjcastan
06-26-2009, 07:29 PM
maybe for next time, don't even have the person giving the critique mention how the image did in competition.

just have them start at 100 and talk about where they are taking points off. And tell the viewer what they think it would score and where to improve the image.

Jonathan_Brown
06-26-2009, 07:37 PM
maybe for next time, don't even have the person giving the critique mention how the image did in competition.

just have them start at 100 and talk about where they are taking points off. And tell the viewer what they think it would score and where to improve the image.

I could not agree more. I have to admit I am rather upset that this happened. I applaud PPA for trying to get the results out faster but if it is going to lead to more upset participants like this then what have you really accomplished?

I agree that next year either do not mention the score, go back to having the actual print in the room to verify the score, or with the modern age you could verify the list and THEN send the digital images to judges for the critiques.

I know this sounds like sour grapes but I am sure you can understand the frustration of someone in their second year of print comp thinking they have 2 Loans and then find out they are back to one. My heart soared and then was slapped down by the PPA print comp.

I am hoping that the problems will get worked out for next year.

TracyeGibson
06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Any idea what we should be looking for? From who? I am just afraid it may go to the spam folder and get deleted. I have critiques coming for EI and Open and didn't see anything but may have already deleted it before I saw this thread.

Keith_A_Howe
06-26-2009, 08:02 PM
It's from PPA and says PPA: Your Print Competition critique Link under the subject. So pretty hard to mistake it for something else.

Linda_Gregory
06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
You guys DO understand these are volunteers who are doing this...and it costs them to help us out?

Yes, human error and yes, I'm sure they plan on working out the bugs.

I applaud them all and Keith, you are right, I think I was thinking out loud, I may consider sending my digital image in proper density instead of comp density, then it'll be on me. :)

TracyeGibson
06-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Hummm....must not have gotten mine yet. I put in a call to Jim about SEPPA late fee refunds so I guess I will ask him about it when he returns my call if I haven't gotten it yet.

Thanks Keith!

cjcastan
06-26-2009, 08:21 PM
i applaud the volunteers, in fact a friend from our regional affiliate is on PEC and graciously looking into the discrepancy for me.

nothing wrong with offering constructive feedback on ways to improve / change things.

Keith_A_Howe
06-26-2009, 08:29 PM

Because this is not how prints are judged. We do not "take off points". And at national we do not score images, just merit, loan or not accepted.

go back to having the actual print in the room to verify the score, or with the modern age you could verify the list and THEN send the digital images to judges for the critiques. .

I believe I heard that next year they intend to have the prints in the critique room, for other reasons besides just verifying the results. That was decided before judging even ended this year, so your situation was not the reason for that change. As far as finalizing the results and then sending the digital files to the judges for critique - this is how that would play out. Judging is done, everyone goes home. A week to two weeks later the list is official. Some one sits down for hours and hours at a computer and emails files to various judges who are now back at home in their own studios. Those judges are then supposed to sit in front of their various moniters of various sizes, color balances, moniter quality etc etc and spend 8 to 10 hours or more doing critiques. Then they send them back, supposedly to Jim Dingwell, who then forwards them on to each maker. How long do you think that will take? How quickly do you think the judges will get those critiques done when they are back at home with their own families and businesses needing attention

Human Error??? Then fix the problem for next year! Make sure this never happens again and learn from it!!!!

Respectfully Jonathan, like I said before, you made a human error yourself. In your second post you said that you checked the official list and you had 2. What you meant to say was 1. Should I tell you make sure you never have a human error again? It happened, it's a big dissapointment. Does everyone involved feel bad? Yes, you have no idea how bad everyone from PEC to judges to print handlers feel when they can't be absolutely perfect. Complaining doesn't change the situation for this year and doesn't reflect well on you. Trust me, this issue has already been noted at the highest levels. This was the first time they tried this method. I have said that over and over. Of course there were unanticipated challenges that will be addressed for the future.

Keith

Brian_DeWolf
06-26-2009, 10:01 PM
I got one, too. When I clicked to review it there was a message that the source wanted unrestricted access to my computer. Not feeling comfortable with that message, I denied access, went back and chose to download the file.

My computer can't figure out what application it needs to run the download .arf file.

Rick_Massarini
06-26-2009, 10:12 PM
This year, all of the critiquing was done on computers in the college's Mac Lab. When we finally got talent for "Hollywood" (meaning that we finally had enough jurors free to start critiquing), they could not start since they had no way to know the final score of the images, and since the results had not yet been entered into the computer, we could not use the computer to provide that information to the critiquers. What we did was to print out a list of all of the images that had critiques requested and bring it to the sorting room (this is where all the prints go after they have been through the entire process (Merit and Loan Panels) and are completed. We had a group of our student volunteers go through every print in the sorting room, find the ones that needed critiques, and write that result on the sheet (Non Accepted, General, General Book, and Loan). After all of the prints that were already in the room had been checked, for every new Critique print that came into the sorting room the result was added to the list. This may be where the discrepancy may have ocurred - someone may have written an L for Loan next to the wrong print on the list - all of the print handlers were student volunteers in the Photography Program at the College, and some mistakes may have occurred while recording the results on the sheet that was sent to the critiquers.

The bottom line is that the results on the final posted list came from the official computer records of the judging - you can believe that these results are correct. The judges did not have the actual prints in the critique room with them, so all they had for results was what was recorded on the list from the sorting room. What was told to you on your critique was a score recorded by a volunteer from the back of the print to a temporary use log sheet for the critiquing judges to use. As diligent as our volunteers were this year, with all that handling, mistakes can happen, and the answer is as simple as they wrote the wrong letter next to the title. In spite of the few minor issues we had this year, the student volunteers did a fabulous job for us, and we could not have done it without them ! Thanks again to all of our Volunteers !

Also - before the prints were crated up after the judging was completed, every print was checked against a master list from the official computer record. Only AFTER EVERY PRINT HAD BEEN CHECKED against the official list, and EVERY print found and it's result (Non Merit, General, General Book, or Loan) checked, were the prints crated up to be shipped back. And most of those who worked all afternoon checking the prints were members of PEC and Jurors - so every effort that COULD be done to assure that all the results were correctly recorded WERE done. Believe the results on the officially posted list - they're as accurate as humans can make them !

idyphoto
06-26-2009, 10:24 PM
I am surprised that the critiques are available so quickly. And despite what seem to be random mistakes, it sounds like things went fairly smoothly. I'll also bet that there are very few years when things went 'perfectly,' and I'm sure that next year some random mistakes will again be made. When someone makes a mistake, I always ask "Did anyone die?"

Kudos to everyone who was involved in the competition, and many thanks to all the PPA members who take time to answer questions here on the forum.

Rick_Massarini
06-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I am surprised that the critiques are available so quickly. And despite what seem to be random mistakes, it sounds like things went fairly smoothly. I'll also bet that there are very few years when things went 'perfectly,' and I'm sure that next year some random mistakes will again be made. When someone makes a mistake, I always ask "Did anyone die?"

Kudos to everyone who was involved in the competition, and many thanks to all the PPA members who take time to answer questions here on the forum.

It was the first year with a new system. As in all new systems, there are some bumpy spots that need to be ironed out. Things will be smoother next year...

Jonathan_Brown
06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Well I guess this forum has a new chief butt-head, and I do deserve that.

First, I have to apologize to all the volunteers and judges. I truly respect what you do and I did not in any way mean to downplay or disrespect any of your accomplishments at nationals.

I (as I am sure all of you are as well) am very passionate about my work--these comp prints are my children, so I was upset when I thought one of them went loan and then did not.

Here is how the couple of hours or so leading up to my post went:

I got the e-mail with the print critique today before the final list was posted so I was ECSTATIC when he said loan, I was so proud for that print that I had so much faith in, and it is one of my favorites. I then very quickly went over to ourPPA to see if their was any news on the official list and their it was the message from Gregory Aide saying the official list was posted. I thought my day was getting even better.

Then I looked at the list and my heart sank. I was heartbroken when the final list was published and I found out it had not only not gone loan but not even merited. All this happened in about 15 minutes, quite an emotional roller coaster for someone in their second year of print comp.

Again, I have to apologize for how I said what I said--I honestly did not mean any offense or disrespect I just take print comp a little too personally, I guess. That is something I have to work on and I realize that even more now.

My post was not meant to insult, it was honestly meant to try and help and just voice my frustration with the system that PPA used this year. I feel it is important for an organization to understand the impact it has on its members and this is a great forum for that.

Keith I deserved your response, and again I apologize to anyone I offended. I know that nothing can change what happened this year, but I do feel it is important for PPA to see how we feel when something like this happens. I am sure they are aware, but as a member of this organization I felt I should voice my opinion.

I am sure it will work out better next year and I hope to not be such a baby (as my photographer wife called me earlier) next year.

And by the way--she reamed me something terrible when she read my post--I usually have her proof-read my posts before I hit "publish," but I didn't this time. She is a former high school English teacher and keeps me in check when it comes to my posts (on both a grammatical and mood-set level). She even tried to edit my post before anyone saw it--but it was too late.

You can be sure that her opinion on this matter set me straight--she had three of her prints go to the General collection--her first time entering!

And as she said, "You should be proud that you got ONE print in at the loan level."

True--so thanks for listening--I appreciate this forum.

Rick_Massarini
06-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey, Passion is GREAT ! That's the fuel that pushes you to excell. I wish we had more members who were so passionate about print competition - passion raises the standards of our profession.

And I'm sorry about the emotional roller-coaster that you just went through. The volunteers try to be as diligent as possible, but we are human. It's interesting that I used the same words you used when I spoke with our print handlers - I told every one of them to handle the prints like they were their very own, because every one of them is somebody's baby!

Congratulations on putting one in the Loan Collection - that isn't an easy thing to do !!!

Linda_Gregory
06-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Mr. Jonathan Brown, congratulations on your passion and your success in this year's competition. I also take it very seriously and that's why I didn't enter this year.

I was NOT going to throw just anything in there and I could not find an image I was passionate enough to enter. It's been a difficult year and I couldn't see my work as worthy so I gave myself permission to not enter.

Of course, as soon as the deadline passed, I saw many images I could/should have entered but then, there's NEXT year.

Thank you from all of us for the heartfelt post and welcome to the forums! May we see your entries?

Jonathan_Brown
06-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Mr. Jonathan Brown, congratulations on your passion and your success in this year's competition. I also take it very seriously and that's why I didn't enter this year.

I was NOT going to throw just anything in there and I could not find an image I was passionate enough to enter. It's been a difficult year and I couldn't see my work as worthy so I gave myself permission to not enter.

Of course, as soon as the deadline passed, I saw many images I could/should have entered but then, there's NEXT year.

Thank you from all of us for the heartfelt post and welcome to the forums! May we see your entries?

Linda - Thanks for your warm greeting.

I am happy to share my entries:

First here is my image that went Loan:
http://louisvilleweddingphotographer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/5114406_1241-4-for-posting.jpg
I shot this image at Babcock state park in West Virgina while on a vacation/photo field trip.

Here is one of my others that did not merit:
http://louisvilleweddingphotographer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/5114406_1241-2-for-posting.jpg
This was actually shot at an aquarium through glass and also while on a vacation/photo filed trip.

Here is another one that did not merit:
http://louisvilleweddingphotographer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/5114406_1241-1-for-posting.jpg
This couple is great, she is a special needs teacher and he is a youth minister.

Finally here is the image that started my troubles today:
http://louisvilleweddingphotographer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/5114406_1241-3-for-posting.jpg
I love this image. It was shot on the ruins of an old mansion outside Lexington KY on a horse farm. Great couple, great location and one of my favorites.

As always I would appreciate any input or comments.

Thanks,

Keith_A_Howe
06-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Well I guess this forum has a new chief butt-head, and I do deserve that.
Nah, not a butt head, just a guy that was disapointed.

Then I looked at the list and my heart sank. I was heartbroken

I am no stranger to heartbreak. I been there and have the t-shirt to prove it. Wanna hear my latest? It is probably a huge surprise to you but I really like to judge. But you could never have guessed that huh?:D Everybody talks about what a great learning experience competiting is. Let me tell you competiting is only one tenth the learning experience that judging is. Imagine about 5000 images that photographers from around the world consider their best work. Then imagine you've got front row center court seats to see them, the best view in the house, so close you can smell the sweat - ur uh lacquer fumes. You've heard of GIGO - usually to mean garbage in garbage out? Well I prefer to think of it as greatness in greatness out. That's what judging does for you. I've been a POTY each of the last 3 years, Diamond last year and I'll be gold this year. I have no doubt that has everything to do with having judged at national 4 out of the last 6 years. When you immerse yourself in amazing images, you can't help but have that effect your own work. Anyway, I didn't get to go this year and I was disapointed but fair is fair and I've had my turn and then some. So about 2 weeks before judging I get a phone call from Dingwell- they are short a judge and can I come. It was just a fluke, because of reschedualed sessions that I could go. I could get into Atlanta Sunday morning by 9:00 and at the judging venue by 10. Jim says, don't buy your plane ticket yet but it's a 90% done deal. I was estatic. Then about an hour later Jim calls me back. They found someone else who could get in Saturday night. The only difference between me and you Jon, is I didn't post anything publically about my disappointment. Maybe that's just cause I am an old guy and I've had more times of heartbreak to learn how to deal with it. Course that means I've also had more times of being estatic too. This being an old dude (51) isn't so bad!

Keith I deserved your response, and again I apologize to anyone I offended.

I wasn't offended. I just thought you were off base and I told you so. Opinions don't offend me. Insults do. You didn't insult anyone. So as my oldest son says "it's all good".

Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
06-27-2009, 05:45 AM
I went to my critique link and reviewed the critique that was sent. I have a question, though. For those images that merit, do they only point out the good things about it? The whole time I was waiting to hear some comment on what could have been improved. Granted, the images merited, yet I just felt it was a lot of a pat on the back and not really a critique. Are my expectations off to have someone point out room for improvement in images that merit?

Keith_A_Howe
06-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Jackie
Every juror that does critiques will do them differently. It could be that this juror did not see significant areas for change so chose not to make any recomendations to change. Again I want to stress there is unfortnately not answer to your question. Each entry is unique and therefore every critique is unique.
Keith

Stephanie_Millner
06-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Jackie - on mine they pointed out things that kept merits from going to Loan. Such little things too, I wish I saw them earlier! They also said why ones that didn't merit - well - didn't.

TracyeGibson
06-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I still haven't gotten my link to critiques. I was having both my open and EI images done. Is this what is holding them up do you think? It's driving me crazy hearing all the people already getting theirs! ;) Anyone else out there still waiting?

bob_hancock
06-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Anyone else out there still waiting?

Tracye,
I am also still waiting!

TracyeGibson
06-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Well Bob, I'll post here when I finally get mine to let you know. Did you have more than one print case also?

bob_hancock
06-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Well Bob, I'll post here when I finally get mine to let you know. Did you have more than one print case also?

1 case 3 merits!
My best and Kodak gallery award winner no merit!
Was wanting to find out why no merit!

Sarah_Johnston
06-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Great discussion here. I applaud all of you that entered regardless of the results. I think it takes a lot to put your work, that you are so passionate about, out there for someone for to evaluate. It is commendable and brave. I also feel it is such a great education. I know some had issues with results vs critiques. As with any new way of doing things bugs show up that need to worked out. With something like PPA International Print Competition it really can not be practiced or trial run. The issues mentioned here are being looked into so the system can be adjusted to try and keep them from happening again.

Jackie_Haggerty
06-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Jackie
Every juror that does critiques will do them differently. It could be that this juror did not see significant areas for change so chose not to make any recomendations to change. Again I want to stress there is unfortnately not answer to your question. Each entry is unique and therefore every critique is unique.
Keith

Keith, maybe you just spoil us with your great critiques!

It's fine, and I will certainly keep doing the critiques, it just seemed that there had to be something to improve upon, and my critique was more of a pat on the back instead of a critique. I totally get how every person is different.

Jackie - on mine they pointed out things that kept merits from going to Loan. Such little things too, I wish I saw them earlier! They also said why ones that didn't merit - well - didn't.

That's more of what I was looking for, little things that kept the others from the loan category.

TracyeGibson
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
1 case 3 merits!
My best and Kodak gallery award winner no merit!
Was wanting to find out why no merit!

That's great! This is my first year and I did really well myself. I want the critiques so I know what the heck I did so I can try to keep it up!! Totally blew me away! The best thing I ever did was find experienced competitors and judges to give me pre-critiques before I ever sent anything in. I still didn't think I would do as well as I did though!

BTW, just spoke with Jim Dingwell and all of the critique links should be out. I still don't have mine so he is checking on it for me. Just FYI.

Joe_Campanellie
06-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Keith...I thought I was the old dude...at least older than you.

I have to admit when the "official" list was published I was a little scared to look at it. Never accomplished 4 loan prints before and I sure was on cloud nine about that. But...I was really afraid that when the verified list came out that my results were changed.

But like Keith said...we have all had our share of disappointments... especially when you've been at this for as long as we have. I think it's incredible that some of you have merited and loaned in your first years of competition. I guess I was a slow learner. Took me a little longer but the important thing is not to give up. It's a tremendous way to learn and to stretch yourself in new directions.

Given what has happened to me over the last three years or so...I would say I'm living proof of what competition can do for you both professionally and personally.

bob_hancock
06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
That's great! This is my first year and I did really well myself. I want the critiques so I know what the heck I did so I can try to keep it up!! Totally blew me away! The best thing I ever did was find experienced competitors and judges to give me pre-critiques before I ever sent anything in. I still didn't think I would do as well as I did though!

BTW, just spoke with Jim Dingwell and all of the critique links should be out. I still don't have mine so he is checking on it for me. Just FYI.

Tracye,
Congratulations!!!
Do you have e-mail address for Jim . . . . I will check on my critiques?

Don_Chick
06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Given what has happened to me over the last three years or so...I would say I'm living proof of what competition can do for you both professionally and personally.

Now if you had just said this on that other thread where someone (for the 4,000,000,000 time) questioned the value of print competition!! :eek::D

TracyeGibson
06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Tracye,
Congratulations!!!
Do you have e-mail address for Jim . . . . I will check on my critiques?

I don't have his email but his # is 866-591-9190. I called the PPA office and left him a message (he called back but this was the number they gave me if we got disconnected).

TracyeGibson
06-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I think it's incredible that some of you have merited and loaned in your first years of competition. I guess I was a slow learner.

Joe, I doubt you are a slow learner. We (speaking for the competitor newbies) just have resources and info more readily at hand. ;)

Joe_Campanellie
06-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Man..ain't that the truth. I have people in my state association complain to me how expensive print competition prints are. I tell them they haven't a clue of what us old farts had to go through to acheive what they can acheive now with a few clicks of a mouse.

Back in the day (sorry...I just had to say that) I would spend hours in the darkroom dodging and burning to get the perfect print.

Then it was off to the art store to buy sheets and sheets of colored paper. Had to buy so many because we were looking at them under flouresent lights and had no idea what they would really look like under the competition lights.

If this didn't work then it was back to the darkroom to try and print a custom colored piece of paper to use as the colored stroke or background.

Once we got the right color my wife would hand cut these colored pieces of paper as underlays to the photograph to within 1/8th and down to 1/16th of an inch. She could even cut an accurate oval using this hand technique.

And...mess up one step in the process and you'd have to start all over.

So...Photoshop has not only made it easier...but a lot less costly in the grand scheme of things. And...you have so much more control of your final images. Who would have ever thought that digital would come so far in such a short period of time.

Joe_Campanellie
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Now if you had just said this on that other thread where someone (for the 4,000,000,000 time) questioned the value of print competition!! :eek::D

It may be too late but...I can do that.

Sarah_Johnston
06-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Joe it is never too late to share good advice!

Joe_Campanellie
06-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Well...I don't know how good the advice is but I posted it under the other thread about print competition.

bob_hancock
07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Received my critiques today minus the important one.
Its lost!
Sent album, thought it was my strongest entrée. However it did not merit. Was hoping to find out why? Guess I will never know.
Not upset these things happen.(Usually to myself)
So close to earning Masters could have earned it this year.
Hopefully next year. . . .You never know!
Bob

Keith_A_Howe
07-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Bob, Was it an electronic album? Or an actual album? I heard that the electronic albums have not been critiqued yet. They are waiting on some judges to finish them up. can't say this for 100% - but that's what I heard.

Keith

bob_hancock
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
It was actual album! Not Electronic.

TracyeGibson
07-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Bob, They found both of my case critiques finally too! Yay! You might want contact the office about your missing one.

Keith_A_Howe
07-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Bob, I am trying to see what I can do about this for you. I have talked to Helen, but Jim Dingwell is the one who could track this down. He is away for the holiday weekend so it will be next week before I hear anything.

Keith

bob_hancock
07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Keith, If you find anything I will applicate it. If not its not the end of the world.
I do understand the amount of Images at Nationals . . . A tremendous job.
Thanks to all the Volunteers that help at Nationals!
Each year I help with Competitions . . . . Pennsylvania and Triangle.

Perhaps one of the judges would remember my album, thinking they would not have had that many actual albums. All winter scenes.

Keith_A_Howe
07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Bob, I remember that album! You took Holly and I into the print show after hours, before we had to leave and we got to see it. I am surprised too that it did not merit. If I remember correctly it was a fairly small panoramic album? Maybe the small size hurt it? Just guessing. It was pretty dark in the room when we looked at it, so maybe we missed something.

Keith

bob_hancock
07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Bob, I remember that album! You took Holly and I into the print show after hours, before we had to leave and we got to see it. I am surprised too that it did not merit. If I remember correctly it was a fairly small panoramic album? Maybe the small size hurt it? Just guessing. It was pretty dark in the room when we looked at it, so maybe we missed something.

Keith

That is the one.
I am wondering if I missed something myself.
Did well in two other competitions.

Keith_A_Howe
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Bob, Jim Dingwell got back in touch with me today and asked me to let you know he is investigating the matter. If a critique was done, he will find it. I don't know if he will get in touch with you or get back to me with what he finds out, so if I hear something, I'll let you know.
Keith

Peter_Bauer
07-15-2009, 04:30 AM
I received this e-mail today:

We’d like to thank you for participating in the 2009 International Print Competition.

As a part of your registration for this year’s competition, you purchased a critique by a Master Photographer of the images you submitted. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties experienced during the event, we were unable to offer you the critique this year. As a result, we have fully refunded the $35.00 fee charged to your credit card for the critique order.

Additionally, we have annotated your member record to receive a free critique during the 2010 competition.

Please accept our sincerest apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We hope to see your images in next year’s competition.

Anyone else get such an e-mail?

Pete

Betsy_Finn
07-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Peter, I had that happen to me last year (pre-"digital critique"). Got my complimentary critique this year.

With over 4000 entries, there are bound to be a few mistakes... :(

Rick_Massarini
07-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Peter - I've sent you a PM - check your in box.

Joe_Campanellie
07-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Love the Babcock image. I keep going back there hoping to find some real water in the stream. The two seasons I went there was no water. Last year I called ahead and the park ranger said it had been another dry season and no water again.

Maybe this year...