PDA

View Full Version : Merits

TracyeGibson
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Quick question, this is my first year competing and wanted to know if my merits from International print competition will automatically be posted to the 'My PPA-merits section' once the 'list ' is official? I saw that my Texas School merits are there already.

Thanks!

Betsy_Finn
06-22-2009, 09:20 PM
yes, the merits should automatically post to your account.

Cheri_MacCallum
06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
My merits from ppa comp are already there!

Keith_A_Howe
06-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Mine are not there yet! Cheri must be special lol. But yes they will be posted automaticly.
Keith

TracyeGibson
06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks y'all! I'll keep an eye out!

Sarah_Johnston
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Mine are not there yet! Cheri must be special lol. But yes they will be posted automaticly.
Keith

Keith, Have you never met Cheri? She is special!! Just look at her artwork. I want to be her when I grow up. (Did I forget to mention I am her biggest stalker?)

Keith_A_Howe
06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, either she's special or someone is trying to tell me something. She posted on the 22nd that her merits were already showing up. Here it is the 29th, a week later and mine still aren't showing. Anybody else's merits showing up yet?

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
06-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi Keith;

Since she is in Georgia, where PPA Headquarters are located, she gets hers posted first. *S*

John_Metcalfe
06-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Nothing for me either.

TracyeGibson
06-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Nope, still no merits and still no critiques.

Joe_Campanellie
06-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Nothing here either. Could take a while to update all that info.

ErinnA
06-29-2009, 02:09 PM
where is this 'my ppa " section anyway? thanks!

TracyeGibson
06-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Look on the upper left corner of this website under the big PPA.

Don_Chick
06-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Still waiting for mine to be posted.

Cheri_MacCallum
06-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Sarah you are too funny!! Yeah, I'm special, but not in the way that you think ;-)

mrbarton
06-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh, the horror! Waiting to see my merits post to make me eligible for both of my Masters. Not that I'm bragging. . . . Just waiting to see if they are going to actually be foolish enough to do that. . .

Don_Chick
06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Oh, the horror! Waiting to see my merits post to make me eligible for both of my Masters. Not that I'm bragging. . . . Just waiting to see if they are going to actually be foolish enough to do that. . .

Why wouldn't they post the merits to your record... you've earned them? You just won't be able to tell the world your a Master until after they put the ribbon around your neck at the Convention. The Councilors have to vote to confer the degree upon you before you can do that and their meeting isn't until Convention!

Jeff_Dachowski
06-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Why wouldn't they post the merits to your record... you've earned them? You just won't be able to tell the world your a Master until after they put the ribbon around your neck at the Convention. The Councilors have to vote to confer the degree upon you before you can do that and their meeting isn't until Convention!

Don,
I think Michael is commenting on his...uhm...interesting personality, rather than PPA itself. He is a super goof ball!!

Michael is that a status bass in your FB avatar?
Jeff

mrbarton
06-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Why Jeff! That is a Status Bass! I had it made about 8 years ago. I love that thing. It's more fun to just write a big check than search out the perfect instrument. . . Well, maybe not. It needs new strings. . . .Those come from England too.

Yeah, I'm working on getting black listed from PPA and am worried about the whole council vote thing. Well, maybe not. Don, I was just making fun of myself. I must confess however that even in January I won't be able to having a true mastery of photography or electronic imaging. More importantly I think of it all as the starting line and not the finish line. I've been a PPA member for just 4 years and it's done amazing things for my career. Heck, I didn't even know what PPA was 5 years ago. I guess that makes me pretty dim!

Back on topic. Still no merits posted. . . Ha! God bless Marisa. Seriously.

John_Metcalfe
06-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Don,

To change the subject quickly... ask him his favorite color & why!

Marc_Benjamin
06-30-2009, 07:08 AM

They're probably double checking your record with the other Micheal Barton out there. Or was it Bolton...

Anyways, you need to be really really really nice till the con so no one *ahem* challenges your ascension, conferment or whatever it is to Masters.

Don_Chick
06-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Don,

To change the subject quickly... ask him his favorite color & why!

I'm not sure I want to know!?! :eek:

mrbarton
06-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Indigo. Seriously, that's easy. Or was it black. . . Ha.

John_Metcalfe
06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Just thought I'd give your studio a plug. indigophotographic.com

Besides Michael, you know black isn't a color! It's the absence of...

Cheers!

Michael_Gan
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm sure you have them Michael, but just make sure you have 50 merits over your Craftsmen merits. You should have at least 75 total. If not, it's back on the speaking road for you buddy :)

mrbarton
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Oh crap!!!

Ha. Just kidding. I've got the other merits covered as well. I'm working on a bar! Ha.

Stephanie_Millner
06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Besides Michael, you know black isn't a color! It's the absence of...

Cheers!

Or presence of! RGB isn't the only color process in the world!

John_Metcalfe
06-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Too right Steph... Adding "get out more often" and "un-clog my brain" to my "To Do List".

Thanks!

Jeff_Dachowski
06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
My Favorite color is Black.

I wear black on the outside cause black is how I feel on the inside.:(
Jeff

bobharbison
06-30-2009, 10:14 PM
For us total newbs, is there a FAQ on the whole merit thing around here someplace?

Michael_Gan
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM
In the benefits tab up above, there is Merits and Degrees. Click on there and you should be able to get the information.

bobharbison
07-01-2009, 12:22 AM
In the benefits tab up above, there is Merits and Degrees. Click on there and you should be able to get the information.

That does a great job of explaining the program in general, but no real specifics.

Pretend you're brand new here, (I am) and read that info. See if it tells you where to sign up, where to find the competitions it mentions, how you get started, etc.

It tells me how useful the program would be, but not really where to get started on earning merits or registering etc.

Michael_Gan
07-01-2009, 12:58 AM
OK, I'll see what I can drum up. Be patient, OK?

D._Craig_Flory
07-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Bob;

There are two PPA Degrees where merits are used.

The one I have is Photographic Craftsman. You need a minimum of 13 Teaching Merits and 12 "other" merits. I got my 13 teaching merits by teaching Adobe Photoshop here in Pa. as well as in 3 other states. "Other" merits can come from having an article accepted, and printed, in Professional Photographer as well as attending classes. Mine came from taking Super Monday classes as well as two week long photography schools.

The other one is Master of Photography. You need a minimum of 13 print merits and 12 "other" merits. You get print merits by competing in the PPA competition held once a year in June. (entry deadline in May) An image can get one merit or two. If an image has been deemed worthy of a merit it can then also be chosen for the Traveling Loan Collection. If that occurs you get the 2nd merit. So, for a print case with 4 images you can get 8 merits in in one year ! If you enter a PPA Regional competition, and get a blue ribbon and a score of 80+, you get a seal on the back. You must then submit that print, with the seal on the back, and you are assured of a merit on that print.

It does not matter whether you pursue Master or Craftsman first. But, you cannot use a merit twice. As an example ... if you use 12 "other" merits for Craftsman you must build up another 12 to use for Master. If you have teaching merits left over, after getting Craftsman, they can be used as "other" merits towards Master. I hope this helps.

Keith_A_Howe
07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Bob
I understand your question and I am sure that Michael will get the info you want and hopefully it will help all new members. I correction to D Craigs post, there are currently 3 degrees. The two he mentioned and the Master of Electronic Imaging Degree.
Keith

bobharbison
07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Bob
I understand your question and I am sure that Michael will get the info you want and hopefully it will help all new members.

Thanks!

The problem I see is that everyone who writes about the program already knows how it works, so they overlook the real basics.

Here's some sample questions.
1) Where do you sign up for the program?
2) How do you earn these merits?
3) You mention competitions, where are they? Are these online competitions, or something that's "brick and mortar" that I have to go to or mail my photos to? I noticed mention of getting a sticker on my photos, obviously that means that particular competition is not done "virtual reality" style.
4) Is there a schedule of events and competitions etc?

Once you've written the FAQ, show it to somebody like me who's totally new to the process. Tell them they have a goal of earning 10 merit points, and ask if the FAQ provides them with ALL of the info they need to do so. (Or directs them to additional resources that do so.) Not just why it's a great idea and what degrees you get, but the nuts and bolts, nitty gritty stuff like where do I sign up and how do I enter competitions?

mrbarton
07-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Bob, that's a good point! Perhaps if it was explained more thoroughly more people would enter and work toward a degree. Frankly, I know people that have their Master and still don't understand it!

Betsy_Finn
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Here Bob, how is this for starters? --> PPA Print Competition Basics (http://learnwithbetsy.com/blog/2009/ppa-print-competition-basics)

(if anyone see a mistake in there, let me know and I'll correct it).

Keith_A_Howe
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Bob, I know you are talking about not just answering your questions but starting something that is available to all new members. That's a job for the board of directors byt here are a few quick answers to help you out.

1) Where do you sign up for the program?
You don't have to sign up. When you become a PPA member any merits you earn start accruing. Once you earn enough for a particular degree, PPA contacts you.
2) How do you earn these merits?
Lots of different ways, print merits from competitions, speaker merits from presenting programs, service merits from things like serving as an affiliated association president or seminar chairmen. You can earn merits for attending a continuing education seminar or writing an article for the PPA mag. I get a merit or 2 every year for being a councilman. I don't know if there is a compelete list anywhere, I am pretty sure it's somewhere in the PPA bylaws..

3) You mention competitions, where are they? Are these online competitions, or something that's "brick and mortar" that I have to go to or mail my photos to? I noticed mention of getting a sticker on my photos, obviously that means that particular competition is not done "virtual reality" style.
Currently no competitions are done virtual style. that is something that is being looked at. I have reservations but it would take a whole page to list them here. Currently you send or hand carry your prints to the actual competition. Generally the levels prrogress like this - local, state, regional, (districts will start in 2011 and in some cases replace regionals and in some cases be in addition to regionals) and lastly international. Currently that seal we talk about is earned at the regionals by scoring 80 or above. When the change over to districts occur, it will be earned at the district level. So local and state competitions are what is referred to as non-affilaited judgings. they may be held by a PPA affiliate but they are not affiliate judgings. Anyway, that seal means if you send them on to national competition they will recieve a merit. You can send prints to any level of competition without participating in the level below. So you could skip all other comps and just send prints to international judging if you wanted.

4) Is there a schedule of events and competitions etc?
There is a calendar on the PPA website that lists some but not all events. It's up to each state or local if they turn in the info to PPA to be included in the calendar. The best way to know when stuff is coming up is by joining your state or local group.

Hope this helps.
Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
07-02-2009, 06:55 PM
FWIW,
My Merits are now posted.

Jeff

Don_Chick
07-02-2009, 09:05 PM
They must have worked on the merit's for the NH members! Mine are posted now too......

bob_hancock
07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Checked mine were posted sometime today!

mrbarton
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Mine are up too! January will be fun! Guess they decided to give them to me after all. . . Now to finish the Image Excellence and get some bars!! (some people are just never contented)

John_Metcalfe
07-06-2009, 01:31 PM
(some people are just never contented)

Really? You think I would have noticed...