PDA

View Full Version : The list has been posted!

Heather_L._Smith
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
It's the "unofficial list - subject to verification" but it's THE list!!

Woohoo!!!

http://www.ppa.com/articles/232/2009-List-of-Accepted-Prints.php

Keith_A_Howe
06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Congratulations to everyone!
Keith

Michael_Gan
06-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I see Keith, Michael Barton and Jeff Dachowski did very well! Congrats! (My wife, Leslie Artis-Gan went 4-4 w/1 loan).

Teri_Quance
06-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Mr. B did do quite well! If this is the 'list'... I needed 5 for a Masters... and by the seat of my pants..... 5!!!! So excited

Michael_Gan
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Congrats Teri! I see that Heather hung 3! WTG

Keith_A_Howe
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
So let's see everyones prints. I think I might have posted these before but I'll do it again to get the ball rolling.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/LastLightcr.jpg Last Light, general

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/TheresNoPlaceLikeHomecr.jpg There's No Place like Home, loan

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/TooCloseForComfortcr.jpg Too Close For Comfort, loan

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/WindandWatercr.jpg Wind and Water, general

Joe_Campanellie
06-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Hope this is the official list 4 for 4 with 4 loan. I definitely must have gotten up on the right side of the bed today.

Sandra_Pearce
06-19-2009, 12:36 AM
I went 3 for 4 with 1 loan in Photography and the same in EI. My very first loans. Thank you Heather for letting us know.

Sandra Pearce

Joe_Campanellie
06-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Keith...those are awesome...!

Keith_A_Howe
06-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks Joe! Lets see yours. Sandra yours too.

Keith

Teri_Quance
06-19-2009, 01:06 AM
'Blessed Two' - Loan

Sandra_Pearce
06-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Keith,

When I can. My computer crashed last Thursday and all my images are on my external drive. It pays to back up. What a mess.

Congratulations to everyone.

Sandra Pearce

Barbi_Barnum
06-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Woo Hoo! I found my name on this list! Hope this is official soon. I only got one in and honestly I thought it was my weakest one but I'll take it!

Heather_L._Smith
06-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Here are the three I hung...

You Don't Play Ball Anymore (general collection)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/NH%20entries/final%20nationals/5120606_1.jpg

Geek Squad (general collection)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/NH%20entries/final%20nationals/5120606_2.jpg

Snug As A Bug (Showcase Collection!!)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/NH%20entries/final%20nationals/5120606_3.jpg

I only hung one image last year, so I'm absolutely thrilled with these results... I made into the Showcase book!!!!! Woohoo! Next year, we go loan :)

Stephanie_Millner
06-19-2009, 01:37 AM
2 in here - 1 general, 1 showcase. First 2 print merits for me, so I'm fairly pleased. I'll second what Barbi says - I'm still "unofficially" doing a happy dance, as my Facebook status indicates... :)

Showcase
http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/Millner_Boathouse.jpg

General
http://www.stephaniemillner.com/blogimages/Millner_Farewell-My-Love.jpg

Linda_Gregory
06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Congratulations to all! Those who entered and those who had any that hung or...went loan!
I didn't enter this year, I needed time to reflect and I'll tell you it was very good for me. I think my early success made me feel like I had to perform instead of enjoy--and it was totally ME, not any outside force.

I am ready for next year!!! Meanwhile, I'm SO enjoying seeing everyone's and being happy for you!

Teri_Quance
06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Have to go with thumbnails.... can't get the url thing to work.

'Solo Mia' - General
'The Vinyard' - General
'Quiet Reflection' - General

'Blessed Two' - Loan (above)

Teri_Quance
06-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Congratulations to everyone... some beautiful work!

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-19-2009, 01:56 AM
What does 'GB' mean?

Heather_L._Smith
06-19-2009, 02:04 AM
What does 'GB' mean?

G is the General Collection, meaning it will hang in the exhibit at Imaging, and earns a merit

GB is the General Book (Showcase Collection), meaning that during the review of the Loan panel, at least one judge felt it was worthy of being in the loan book, but it didn't receive a majority of votes from the panel. Each judge is given a specific number of tokens to use during the judging to place their favorite images in the Showcase book if they don't make it into the Loan book (they give up one token each time they vote for a favorite)

L is the Loan Collection

Andrea_Chapelo
06-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Congrats to all who merited!!!
Heather I am soo happy for you, way to go with three..and Steff love your two as well. You girls are awesome!
I didn't enter this year and in hindsight I wish I would have, but this was a year of many chnages for me so I kinda let time get away from me..Next year I can't wait to play the game again.

ChontelleBrown
06-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Here is my one that is in the general collection. I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't spend more time on my other 3 prints, but I am amped and ready to start on prints for next year.

Special thanks to Keith Howe who helped me on this image at the print critique in Tampa (yes, I am a bit slow).

Congratulations to not only those who merited, but to everyone who put forth the effort to enter.

Quiet Contemplation
http://www.cottonblossoms.net/sunshinecompresized.jpg

mrbarton
06-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Great work everyone! I'll work on posting my images. I'm beat!!! Just spent the week at judge's workshop. Dennis Craft and David Huntsman are really great teachers. What an honor to be a part of that. It was really amazing to be there when I "unofficially" got the merits I needed for my Master and my MEI. Pretty cool. I hope they hold. . . .

I love this day every year! I get to hear great news all day from great friends. I've heard of a couple degrees already with more to come! I'm sure there are plenty more stories to hear about. John Metcalfe has been posting a bunch here about print comp. I guess he has room to talk, he went Diamond. There'll be no end to hearing about that. Actually, he just doesn't really talk!!! It's, um, all typing. . . Seriously.

Congratulations to EVERYONE that entered. For those that didn't merit, know that it's all a learning experience for everyone no matter the scores! If we ain't learnin' we ain't livin'.

It was also amazing to meet so many new photographers in Lawrenceville!!

Don_Chick
06-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Congratulations to all who merited or loaned. It's exciting to see folks being rewarded for all the time and effort put into each image.

Michael_Gan
06-19-2009, 04:14 AM
Nice 4-4 Don! Congrats!

Kimberly_Hill
06-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Congratulations to all!

Jackie_Haggerty
06-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Horray, happy dance here too. :) :)

Reitan
06-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Congratulations Joe! Your work is exquisite!

KariJBlunck
06-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Congratulations everyone!!! : )

This was my 3rd year entering...
I got my first Loan on a senior book of Ashley!
The little girl picture got in the Showcase book.
The car shot of my daughter got a general merit.

Louise_St_Romain
06-19-2009, 12:38 PM
congrats to evryone!!! :D

here's my merit image:

http://www.entropysedge.com/BigStripeyLies3sm.jpg

Big Stripey Lies

I'm looking forward to seeing my critique so I can see how to improve. :)

StaceyDamon
06-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Congratulations everyone...I am so happy for you all!!!
Keep the images coming-they are inspirational!!

Ron_Jackson
06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Congratulations to all!!! The images are wonderful and the awards are well deserved.

Tiffany_Schmitt
06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Here's my loan....

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/bridge.jpg

Went 4 for 4. That's good, right? LOL. Never entered before so I'm not sure about some of these things.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/Brike.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/Mirrorofdaysgoneby.jpg

Can't find the last one.

Congrats to everyone listed and even for entering.

TracyeGibson
06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I have a quick question. This is my first year of print competition and I am not sure what everything means. At Natls I had 2 merit in EI, but in Open I got 4 for 4 and 3 went loan 'Unofficially' ;). I know that means I don't get the 3 back, that they will travel and be in the book. What do all of the "photographer of the year' and the levels (bronze, silver, etc) signify? Also, is there anything I need to do at this point or just get ready for next year? (Geeze! Regionals is September!)
Thanks!

Don_Chick
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Also, is there anything I need to do at this point

Just celebrate like crazy!!!! :eek::D

Congratulations!!!

4-4 no loans = Bronze level Photographer of the Year
4-4 1 loan = Silver level Photographer of the Year
4-4 2 loan = Gold level Photographer of the Year
4-4 3 loan = Platinum level Photographer of the Year
4-4 4 loan = Diamond level Photographer of the Year

Rick_Massarini
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
And a special (and personal - from me) Thank You to a bunch of the jurors who, at the end of the last day of judging, after being tired out from four long days of judging and critiquing, came back into the sorting room at the end and got down on their hands and knees (literally) and personally helped to check that all of the prints were correctly sorted and that all of the prints were located and correctly recorded. Without this huge extra effort of all of these individuals, we would have never been able to get everything checked and the prints crated back up - and the results would still be left hanging until they could be checked at PPA Headquarters...
So a special thanks to:
Sarah Johnston, Doran Wilson, David Huntsman, Kalen Henderson, Bob Cleere, Scott Dupras, Gabriel Alonso, Jon Allyn, Dennis Hammon, Randy McNeilly, Doug Gifford, Joan Genest, Rene Genest, Dennis Craft, Gene Lista, and Rich Newell. And if I missed anyone, I apologize since I'm going from memory - I didn't write any names down...

Also, while I'm thanking people, I'd like to say THANKS to all of the student volunteers who worked so diligently all week as print handlers to make the judging a success. In case any of the student volunteers visit this thread, I'd just like to say that we couldn't have done it without all of you.

THANKS EVERYONE !!!! Without your help the unofficial list would not be up there yet !!!

TracyeGibson
06-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Just celebrate like crazy!!!! :eek::D

Congratulations!!!

Hee-hee! Thanks Don! And thanks for the POY info!

Keith_A_Howe
06-19-2009, 09:19 PM
So Rick, lets see your prints!

TracyeGibson
06-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I agree with Rick! THANKS EVERYONE!!!!! Patience is not one of my virtues and seeing the 'unofficial' list was great!

Sara_Nelson
06-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Congratulations to everyone! :)

Mark_McCall
06-20-2009, 12:45 AM
PUMPED...
4 for 4, 2 Loans.

Stupid question. What's GB mean?
That was listed at the end of one of my prints.

Keith_A_Howe
06-20-2009, 01:22 AM
That was listed at the end of one of my prints.

GB is the General Book (Showcase Collection), meaning that during the review of the Loan panel, at least one judge felt it was worthy of being in the loan book, but it didn't receive a majority of votes from the panel. Each judge is given a specific number of tokens to use during the judging to place their favorite images in the Showcase book if they don't make it into the Loan book (they give up one token each time they vote for a favorite)

You just didn't read far enough back in this thread.
Keith

Don_Chick
06-20-2009, 02:18 AM
PUMPED...
4 for 4, 2 Loans.

You have to buy a 2nd book!!!

Congratulations Mark!!!

Marc_Benjamin
06-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Congrats everyone on the results. Double congrats to Metcalf who if I'm reading it right (I wish they would separate the ei and open or at least note it) is a diamond this year. I see ourppa.com as usual is well represented in the 4/4 honors as well. Jackie, Betsy, Jeff, Carole, Keith, Don, Barton, Cheri, Rick, McCall, and if I missed anyone. <----Awesome job!!!!

I sat this one out (screwed up the deadlines really) and will be cheering everyone on from the sidelines at the next convention!

Rick_Massarini
06-20-2009, 05:38 AM
OK - here are my images. I was 4 for 4 with one selected for the Showcase Book
1 - Cool - General
2 - Game Face - General
3 - Scruffy - General Book - PPA Showcase
4 - Riding Out the Storm - General

jilllove
06-20-2009, 11:31 AM
You're going to think I'm the novice that I am, but what does G, GB, and L mean?

Jill Love

Keith_A_Howe
06-20-2009, 01:07 PM
You're going to think I'm the novice that I am, but what does G, GB, and L mean?

Jill Love

G = General collection 1 print merit
GB = General collection 1 print merit and in the General (Showcase) Book - At least 1 judge wanted it to go loan and when it didn't , selected it as one of their 6 choices for the Showcase Book.
L = Loan collection 2 print merits and in the Loan Collection Book - considered the best of the best!
Keith

Stephanie_Millner
06-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Keith - how many judges are on the Loan panel?

Keith_A_Howe
06-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Keith - how many judges are on the Loan panel?

Minimum of 6 usually 10 or more. I have seen as many as 14.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
06-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Just trying to figure out this whole Showcase thing. I counted 166 images with GB next to them. 166 divided by 6 tokens = 27 judges??? or do they all get more like 6 tokens per day of Loan judging?

Mark_McCall
06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Apologies Keith,
I didn't read far enough back in the thread.
I've had showcases before. I should have known that.

Here's my case:
#1. Carrier Launch, Showcase
#2. Hunt for Yamamoto, General
#3. Jackson Makes Ace, Loan
#4. Wingman, Loan

Didn't realize I'd chosen all aircraft until I was packing my print case. I usually like to mix subject matter.

Keith_A_Howe
06-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Just trying to figure out this whole Showcase thing. I counted 166 images with GB next to them. 166 divided by 6 tokens = 27 judges??? or do they all get more like 6 tokens per day of Loan judging?

Actually there are more like 40 judges - at least there have been in the past. I can't tell you this year as I was not there. So that would mean that not all tokens were used or some judges were never on a loan panel and never had an opportunity to use their tokens. FWIW the number of images selected for the showcase book is detirmined by Marathon Press - who prints the book. They tell how many images aproximently they have space for and that decides how many tokens are passed out. Now because I know someone's mind will leap to conclusions - NO, Marathon has no input on the number of loan images and that number is not controlled or monitered in anyway during the judging. What is worthy of loan goes loan - whether it is one print out of the whole competition or every single print entered. Also remember this is the unofficial list. I would not be surprised to see a few changes in the final standings. As careful as everyone is, when you are working with 5000 plus prints, it's easy for a few mistakes to get made.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
06-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Apologies Keith,
I didn't read far enough back in the thread.

No apologies necessary! Another person asked the same question again after I had responded to you. LOL!
Keith

MarkTurner
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
My first time in competition I have two that merited in the general collection. First is "Forest Primeval" and second is "Into the Icy Depths". I'm pleased, and now it's time to write the press release to local media and let the world know. How long until the "official" list is published?

-- Mark Turner

Cheri_MacCallum
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Congratulations to everyone!

I went 4 for 4

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/CheriMacCallum/the_opalescent_springcopy.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/CheriMacCallum/king_of_the_hill_print-copy.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/CheriMacCallum/forest_fern-copy.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/CheriMacCallum/beautys-frailty-copy.jpg

Erin_L._Clark
06-23-2009, 06:33 PM
CONGRATS Everyone- you are all very inspiring, I hope to enter maybe next year!

Ron_Jackson
06-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I see work like these and want to just give up or throw rocks at my stuff. Simply great images and it is so great to see so many here with such strong cases. Well done!

Joe_Campanellie
06-24-2009, 01:17 AM
never had the chance to figure out the photobucket posting method. Hope you can see these well enough

1 - Got'cha Loan print and ASP Gold Medallion AWard

2 - Two's Company Loan Print

3 - Wind Spirit Loan Print

4 - Wings Over Florida Loan-Non Event Album Category. This is the cover page of a 34 page coffee table book. The images were from a recent trip to some of my favorite Florida haunts. First time I had entered this category.

Barbi_Barnum
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Does anyone have any idea when the unofficial list becomes official?

Keith_A_Howe
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I got it from Jim Dingwell this morning, the list should be finalized and made official the first part of next week.

Keith

Don_Chick
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Joe those images are awesome! I wish everyone could see the originals as they are all amazing.

(For those reading this post) I got to see the originals when I was asked to judge at the MD Convention back in February. Joe's 4th entry is an album filled with many beautiful images. If I remember correctly, it scored well into the 90's! Come to think about it, I think all 4 images scored in the 90's? (Maybe Joe will post the scores.....)

Don_Chick
06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I got it from Jim Dingwell this morning, the list should be finalized and made official the first part of next week.

Keith

Thank you so much Keith.... I am soooo tired of hitting refresh... :eek:

Joe_Campanellie
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks Don...coming from you that's a huge compliment!

These images have been in three competitions. My regional which is SEPPA and then we belong to both Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Got'cha...95
Two's Company...88
Wind Spirit...93
Wings Over Florida...93

At the Maryland convention I also had a folio I put together of my recent trip to Alaska to photograph the bald eagles that scored a 99. That will probably be my next book. To say the least I have had one of those years that you have to be incredibly fortunate for and thank God for.

It's amazing what can happen when you find your true passion in life.

I will have to figure out how to post the originals. What I posted looks like a postage stamp with no impact at all.

Joe_Campanellie
06-24-2009, 04:15 PM

Keith

Well...I sure hope my results don't change during the verification process.

Keith_A_Howe
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Well...I sure hope my results don't change during the verification process.

Oh didn't I mention that Joe, , , They had the name wrong each of those prints. It should have read: Keith Howe lol

Joe_Campanellie
06-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Wise guy...!

Sarah_Johnston
06-28-2009, 03:55 AM
Congratulations everyone. There were so many wonderful images this year. It makes judging so much fun.
Keith I missed you and Holly this year!