PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the images

D._Craig_Flory
06-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Since all the images in the certification gallery were removed only one image has been posted. Who will be next to post some images for review to help narrow down to the 20 required ?

Michael_Gan
06-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Possibly since the next evaluations are prints, the next batch of electronic images won't show up for a while.

D._Craig_Flory
06-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Michael;

It would not think it matters. If someone needs to narrow down to 20, to have printed, they can still post for critiques of which 20 to print,

Joe_Abreu
07-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Michael and Craig -

I'm planning on submitting images electronically in August. Before I begin to cull my selections and post in the certification gallery for review, can you please tell me if images are judged by a objective or subjective means? Many of the comments I've seen in the certification galleries in the past seem to be very subjective in nature, with reviewers even disagreeing on whether some images would qualify.

If there are objective guidelines used by the judges, is there somewhere I can find them?

If the judging is completely subjective, is there some way to let us know where to look for samples of work that the judges will approve of? (aside from or in addition to the certification gallery)

Thanks!

Joe

Michael_Gan
07-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Simplest way to put this is that the judges are using the criteria from your written exam. So, you need to demonstrate good: lighting techniques, lighting quality and control, color, density, composition and tonal control. We also need to see how well you handle your clients such as color harmony of the clothing (or, <snicker> lack of), expression, and a concise purpose statement. (good idea not to say "I know that the flare is in the image, but I purposefully put it there because the client wanted it" :) )

Joe_Abreu
07-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks, Michael! I read your sticky post on what judges look for, but it helps to know where they're coming from and the type of judging that is taking place - it helps me determine what type and style of images to submit and how I need to justify my creative choices in the purpose statement for each.

For example, the Danish system of judging focuses on an existing or known set of standards, then judges each submission against those standards providing a ranking for each category and an overall score. This system lets the photographer know where his strengths and weaknesses are and how to improve in the future. Is this what we can expect from the review panel, or will the evaluations be purely subjective, or a combination of both methods?

If I know that the judging is based on defined objectives, I can select images for submission that satisfy those definitions. If I know that there is an element of subjective judging or that it is to be purely subjective in nature, I would pay much more attention to those reviews I've seen in the past and maybe even shoot work to conform to that style for the purposes of certification. To put it in academic terms, if I know a professor doesn't like commercial style lighting in wedding portraiture, I certainly wouldn't submit any assignments shot with that style (regardless of any trends in the industry).

Thanks for your help!

Joe