PDA

View Full Version : Certification Partners?

Jackie_Haggerty
03-29-2006, 05:35 PM
This thread is to open up the possibility of starting a "study partners" group. This year I have committed to working on my certification and studying for the cert. exam, and am looking for anyone interested in becoming study partners. I am looking to set up a study guide timeline with whomever may be interested, and hoping to use the other person to quiz each other, discuss the materials, etc. Anyone else looking at the cert. exam in the future? Email me if you are interested!

Jackie

D._Craig_Flory
03-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi Jackie;

I think that is a wonderful idea. I'm going to share the idea at our Pa. state convention, the end of April. I'm also going to share it with my contact at PPA. From the C.P.P. Liaison for Pennsylvania.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., PPA C.P.P. Liaison, PPA Recon, ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Jackie_Haggerty
03-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Thanks, Craig, lets hope there are others that think so as well! I'm waiting to hear from them!

Lois_Byrne
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi Jackie,

I'm interested. Are you planning on setting it up based on the book "Photography" (Eighth Edition) by Barbara London, etc? I've actually already bought the book but have only completed Chapter 1 so far. I know this is the book PPA is recommending but don't know if there are others too.

I was going to explain that April and May will be crazy for me as I will be leaving Government employment and need to train my replacement, go through years worth of paperwork, files on the computer, etc, etc, plus work on the photography business to include completing set up of the studio, attending the Wall Portrait Conference www.wallportrait.com, etc and then I remembered you saying you had four children (and some stepchildren) and run a business so I won't try to delay because of that. :D Take care, Lois

Mark_Levesque
03-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm wondering if you are looking for local study partners or geographically diverse study partners. As a practical matter, I wonder how being a study buddy for someone far away would work.

debraw
03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
I have been dying to take the test and become certified for YEARS. However, I have been unable to find anything to study besides reading the recommended book, which I've already worked from when I was taking courses in college (long time ago).

I find it a huge problem that there is no "course of study" for this test. If there was one I'd follow it and take the test right away.

I'd love to become your study buddy if we can do it long distance. I'm in South Florida.

Debra

KirkDarling
03-30-2006, 05:10 PM
For a course of study, start with the sample questions located on the ppa site and the areas identified by the test specification guide. Zero in on the subjects of those questions and make sure you understand the principles surrounding them. You have to understand the principles by which the answers are determined, not just the correct answers to specific questions.

The guides are dependable in telling you the areas. "Understand the Principle" is the key, not knowing a particular brand of application or equipment.

Lois_Byrne
03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
I just went onto the PPA website. They recommend the book "Photography" but I also found another listing of books they recommend for certification and they say "The following textbooks are provided to help you prepare for the Certified Professional Photography examination. The list is not all inclusive nor should it be considered as the only sources that should be reviewed..."

http://certifiedphotographer.com/files/public/ReadingList.pdf

You would think they could give a complete listing so people would know exactly what to study.

Jackie, how did envision this study group working? I see no real problem with the distance - I have one price long distance. ;)
Take care, Lois

Deb_Wat
03-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Count me in on anything that will help me study for the exam. I have the 7th edition of Photography.

Deb

Jackie_Haggerty
03-31-2006, 03:31 AM
Lois and Deb,

Thanks so much for your interest in being part of a study group. What I am hoping to achieve is a timeline of approximately 4 months, and would be open to the possibility of 6 if necessary, to finish the book, broken down into time frames for specific chapters/sections/etc. The individual would read their section, and after each section we would then discuss what information was given, quiz each other on aspects of that sections, possibly chat online the important aspects, bounce ideas, etc. Do tell if you have ideas also. Let me know what you think, and I can work on a timeline this weekend.

Jackie

Lois_Byrne
03-31-2006, 07:47 AM
For a course of study, start with the sample questions located on the ppa site and the areas identified by the test specification guide. Zero in on the subjects of those questions and make sure you understand the principles surrounding them. You have to understand the principles by which the answers are determined, not just the correct answers to specific questions.

The guides are dependable in telling you the areas. "Understand the Principle" is the key, not knowing a particular brand of application or equipment.

Thanks for the advice Kirk! Take care, Lois

Lois_Byrne
03-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Lois and Deb,

Thanks so much for your interest in being part of a study group. What I am hoping to achieve is a timeline of approximately 4 months, and would be open to the possibility of 6 if necessary, to finish the book, broken down into time frames for specific chapters/sections/etc. The individual would read their section, and after each section we would then discuss what information was given, quiz each other on aspects of that sections, possibly chat online the important aspects, bounce ideas, etc. Do tell if you have ideas also. Let me know what you think, and I can work on a timeline this weekend.

Jackie

Hi Jackie and Deb,

Jackie - just checking, when you say finish the book, you're referring to the book named "Photography" the Eighth Edition (the most recent one)? That's the book I'm interested in concentrating on now. I don't know if there would be any problem if group members were using an older Edition - I'm guessing not.

Jackie and Deb - Did you see my thread response written yesterday when I found the additional References on the PPA website?

Deb - I remember you said something about already studying the book "Photography", so this group would be a refresher for you.

Jackie - you said "the individual would read their section", verifying that you envision each of us reading each Chapter prior to our discussions?

There is a great website for this book http://prenhall.com/london. It has a study guide and with tests, etc., etc. There are seventeen chapters so one chapter per week would be aggressive enough for me. :eek:

I'm seeing the group as not only reinforcing the learning but especially the commitment of staying with this until it is finished. Does anyone have the set up with their phone company that they can have more than two people connected at a time? I don't but I don't know how we can talk (really talk) without having something like that. Suggestions? Take care, Lois

Deb_Wat
03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Good Morning,

I have the 7th edition but just recently purchase it and have not really delved into it.

I do have call waiting but I wonder if it would be cheaper to chat online.

I like the timeline of 4 to 6 months. I was hoping to be ready to take the exam by the end of the year.

Deb Wat

Karen_Linsley
03-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Count me in. Sounds like some logistics need to be worked out, does anyone know how to set up a chat room? We could do that, and meet in the chat room at a specific time. No matter how we set it up though, I want to participate!

Maybe we could all schedule a trip sometime this year to see Craig and take the test with him.....

Betsy_Finn
03-31-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm interested -- I've been following this thread for a while :).

Online chatting would work best for me, but I'm flexible. Here are a few ways that this could be set up. (1) would be best for live chatting, and (2) and (3) would be best for convenience's sake.

1) all participants have a screenname (e.g. yahoo or AIM) and you schedule a time for all to be online (with the same chat service) and participants can be invited to the chat. I use Trillian, which supports AIM, Yahoo, etc -- and conveniently logs conversations -- a copy of the chat could be circulated via email as a reference.

2) set up an online blog group so that participants do not have to be online at the same time. I use Livejournal for a personal blog -- there are other sites though -- the idea would be similar. You set up a group identity, and each participant logs in under their user ID and posts to the group. You can make new posts as well as create responses to posts.

3) have an ongoing thread here on ourppa

D._Craig_Flory
03-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi Karen;

Well, I'm giving it on Sunday April 23rd at our convention. (want to read about our convention ... go to www.ppaofpa.org) I'll be giving it also at our other two day meetings on Sunday June 11th & on Sunday October 1st.

So, if you came all that way ... I can get you a guest pass to stay for the two days of speakers and seminars after the test.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP

Jackie_Haggerty
04-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Great link to the book study guides, etc.! We will use that one for sure! I am using the eighth edition of Photography by London.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you. It looks like a chapter a week could be a very obtainable goal, and we can schedule online chats on specific day of the week? The hardest part will probably be deciding on a day of the week, and I will open up the discussion by saying that any day of the week, after 6 pm CST. I would be open to emailing any time questions, comments, etc. I use yahoo and AIM, so either is fine. Online would be a lot cheaper for me, that only uses a cellular phone, unless you are all Cingular customers!

Betsy- Would you like to set up an online blog? Are you purchasing the book?

Craig- How much notification do you need prior to work out the guest pass thing? That is a nice offer, is it open to others? What is PA like in October?

Guess I'll buy some new highlighters this weekend...... :)

Jackie_Haggerty
04-01-2006, 05:44 AM
I'm signed up. Let's see, Betsy will be getting her book next week, so we could allow that week for anyone else that finds this thread and is interested in joining to obtain their materials, and the rest of us to work out details on chat, etc., probably having a for sure start date the following week? How does that sound?

Lois_Byrne
04-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Great link to the book study guides, etc.! We will use that one for sure! I am using the eighth edition of Photography by London.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you. It looks like a chapter a week could be a very obtainable goal, and we can schedule online chats on specific day of the week? The hardest part will probably be deciding on a day of the week, and I will open up the discussion by saying that any day of the week, after 6 pm CST. I would be open to emailing any time questions, comments, etc. )

Hey - this sounds like it's coming together very well.

Jackie - in the above quote - you said any day of the week after 6 pm CST. I'm suggesting that we have this scheduled for either Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday and not on the weekends. I think that would work into most people's schedules best and leave them the weekend for fun and/or work schedules. Wednesdays may not be good for people for if my memory is correct remembering when I was raising children - it seemed like most school, etc meetings were on Wednesdays. Wonder if it's still that way.

We also could start the actual studying week as April 16 - 22 and then discuss that first Chapter somewhere April 24 - 27 (if it's scheduled one day Monday - Thursday as I suggested in the above paragraph). This would give people time to read about the group, buy the book, complete their income taxes, etc, etc, prior to settling down to spending a couple hours a week studying. Doing this schedule means that we'd have this study group completed by August 17th! :cool:

I'm a morning person - anyone want to have this at 4:30 a.m.? That way you could have this out of the way and over. So set your clocks for 4 a.m. and then log on at 4:30 a.m. Now that that's out of the way let's be sure to remember what day this - April 1st. :rolleyes:

Regarding the time of day to do this, I don't know if we're going to have any west coast people in this or not but I'm hoping it starts as early as possible. I'm on Eastern Standard Time so if it starts at 6 CST, it would be great for me but if it needed to start at 7 CST (my 8 p.m.), my brain would still be functioning (barely) but no guarantees any time after then. By the way, April Fool's on the 4:30 a.m. - however I am a morning person and would love to have it then but I have adjusted to the world's timings for group get-togethers.

Take care, Lois

Karen_Linsley
04-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I am signed up on the blog now too.

I do weddings on weekends, so am glad to see a weekday is suggested. My vote goes for Tuesday. You are right....there are still a lot of meetings on Wednesdays. I am on West Coast time and am willing to do mornings or evenings, but not before 7:30 am my time, I simply will not be awake! Years of working weddings till all hours of the night, and swing shift when I was a kid (that's 3pm till 11pm for those of you who have never worked in a 24 hour town) have ensured that I am not a morning person! I can also do evenings, and start as late as 9pm my time, but I realize that won't work for you east coasters.

I also like the April 16-22 start date, as I will be in WPPI till the 12th. Although I could bring my laptop with me.

If we shoot for Craig's October test date, would that work? Because of weddings, it is really not possible for me to get away during the summer months, but October in PA? Sounds like fall color time to me!

Deb_Wat
04-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I joined the blog. Also, I am a west coast person. Monday, Tuesday Thursday, Friday are all good for early morning.

Question, should I be updating to the 8th edition or will the 7th be okay?

Thanks

Deb

Jackie_Haggerty
04-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Evenings are best for me, when my husband is home. Does anyone have any problems with Tuesday evenings at 6 PM CST (7 east coast and 4 west coast)?

Deb_Wat
04-02-2006, 03:55 AM
I have a problem with Tuesdays at 4. I still have one son that does not drive and has a busy after school schedule. Sorry. Most days between 3 and 8 PST are busy for me, mornings are much better. But, don't change the whole group for me, go with the majority and I will try to adjust.

Deb Wat

Jackie_Haggerty
04-02-2006, 04:11 AM
I wondered if 4 would be too early in the evening. It would be for me also. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Karen_Linsley
04-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I could do 4 in the evening on Tuesdays very easily. Sut I could also do a bit later.

Jackie_Haggerty
04-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Betsy-

Would the evening time mentioned work for you?

Jackie

George_Hawkins
04-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Craig, you must be the PA liaison (sp)!

Karen, you should be able to find same in CO, as most affiliates have one. I think they are listed on ppa.com. If not a local, look at a regional! I also think there is a person at ppa's office you can call for information.

Group studying is great plan. I still have it and refer to the gray scale and color patches: 2 different Kodak booklets, Darkroom guide and something like Photography Guide, maybe about 6x9 in size and 20-30 pages; I have no clue if they are still available. Search Amazon.com. They have great condensed info on things like exposure, darkroom (exams must still ask), flash, depth of field, etc. also use of a view camera! A little of everything is the key. I'll try to post the exact name of those booklets.

Best thought I used to say: you all are "educated" people; it's a multiple choice exam. Use process of elimination to decide an answer, and be calm about it; skip an unsure question, as some wording later on may help you realize an answer!

Certified for over 20 years and former liaisaon.

Good Luck to all, George

Deb_Wat
04-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Deb -- these might be a way for you to keep up with the chapters and feel involved even if the meeting time won't work for you.
I'll plan on posting a transcript of our chats on the livejournal site (http://community.livejournal.com/cpp_studygroup/) for those who can't make the time.
We could post questions/thoughts about each chapter on the blog in between weekly meetings so that we can keep in touch and make sure everyone's questions are answered. [/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. I will try to participate as possible and keep up on the lessons.

Deb

Lois_Byrne
04-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Evenings are best for me, when my husband is home. Does anyone have any problems with Tuesday evenings at 6 PM CST (7 east coast and 4 west coast)?

Hi Jackie,

Tuesdays at 6 PM CST and 7 PM East Coast would work great for me! Take care, Lois

Karen_Linsley
04-03-2006, 05:05 PM
The time (Tuesdays at 4pm west coast) works for me.

George: I am not in Colorado, I'm in northern California. There is no one in my area testing for certification, we don't even any longer have a local PPA group here, it folded a coule of months ago. I contacted the closest one (in Sacramento, about two hours away from me). He didn't know when or where the next exam would be!?!?!? He said he thought it might be in the Bay Area (about four hours away) but wasn't sure when. That didn't sit well with me, I like things to be a bit more professional than that. With that kind of uncertainty, I would honestly rather go to PA and take it with Craig. After I get certified, I plan to do whatever is necessary to become a tester myself, if I'm having trouble in my area there must be others.

D._Craig_Flory
04-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Karen;

In the old certification liaison list, there was no one listed for Oregon but now there is on the newest list. If you are four hours north of "the city", how far away is Oregon ? Depending on where the tests are given, maybe that would be an option for you. The liaison is Richard May and his phone is (541)688-2565 .

Of course if you would like to make a trip to the Keystone State, I'd be happy to give you the exam and you could stay for programs too.

I would recommend calling PPA. Tell them you have a very large state and need more than two liaisons. And tell them how difficult it is to contact the two you do have.

As an aside ... when I was an air force photographer in Marin County, the farthest north I ever got was around Peteluma.

Karen_Linsley
04-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Craig; I am in California, northern California to be exact. I am four hours east of San Francisco, which is what I assume you are referring to when you talk about "the City." Oregon is WAY far away! I never even considered traveling to Oregon to take the test. I will recheck the certification list. I got the names I called off a list online about two months ago. I could do either California or Nevada, but the nearest one in Nevada is an 8 hour drive. I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it, as far as taking the test is concerned, but so far you have been the only one available and seemingly organized. Also, this year I plan to do something different as far as my continuing education efforts go: instead of attending one big convention every year I want to start attending smaller, regional ones, PPA sponsored, with more specific topics. So going to PA for a two day convention and combining it with a test seemed to be on my list of things to do.

Jackie_Haggerty
04-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

I think I have the rough draft of the schedule, starting on April 17 (Monday, since the 16th is Easter), pending any changes you might want to make. I did mark off the week of July 4th, since many people do travel that week, and thought we might need a small break. I have also worked in taking a self-quiz on each chapter before our discussion on Tuesday evenings. Before I post it here, would anyone like to look it over first and see if any changes need to be made? If you would please email me, I would be happy to send it to you for review.

I do think we should post it here, also, as I belive Betsy mentioned earlier in the thread. We also are both set up on Yahoo! Instant Messenger, if you have that set up already, let me know in your email.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Jackie
email: JackieH@haggertystudios.com

George_Hawkins
04-04-2006, 01:13 PM
It's really unfortunate that there is no liaison who is active to coordinate with PPA. They would get service merits for doing their job! We used to administer the exam at the New England regional; now PPA staff is present and they do it. YES, staff comes to New England. Do contact PPA office.

It is being given at the NHPPA conference (www.nhppa.com), unfortuantely short notice: Sunday April 23!

I am not sure if PPANE's speakers for September 16-19 are listed up on www.ppane.com; keep checking. It is a regional, so a print getting a blue, is a merit print if sent to national! Consider it! Ask PPA if they are giving exam. It is in historic Sturbridge, MA just west of Bosotn, fall foliage time, but not quite peak yet. Combine it with a trip in to the New England mountains!

The current officers are on the website. Email me and I can send a PDF about the association, with Semptember speakers and courses scheduled at the school next March. It's small three-panel 8.5x11.

At September convention, scheduled are: Len Levy, Mark Spencer, Elizabeth Homan, Craig Kienast, David Ziser, Kalen Henderson, Dwight Okumoto, Don Emmerich and Nancy Mickle, many very recognized names. Historically, PPA President attends, being the first regional of his/her term.

I'm sure to PA convention will be good as well. Craig, I am of course more familiar with New England! PPA has (or did) have plans for a New England fall foliage workshop this year, but I am unsure of the plans. It'd be nice to have it continue September 20, proceeding north!

George

D._Craig_Flory
04-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi George;

I must point out to everyone that if they are in another region, and entered print competition there before ... they can't enter another region unless it's a permanent change.

Our state convention is at the same time ... April 23rd to the 26th in Camp Hill, Pa. which is right across the river from the state capitol of Harrisburg. Our web site has all the details at: www.ppaofpa.org . If anyone wants to take the C.P.P. exam with me e-mail: floryphotog@mindspring.com for information.

So all of you have New England or Pennsylvania to choose from ... depending on where you are.

Betsy_Finn
04-04-2006, 03:24 PM
I must point out to everyone that if they are in another region, and entered print competition there before ... they can't enter another region unless it's a permanent change.
That's just in reference to a print competition, not the image submission required for the CPP, correct?

I haven't entered a print competition, so if I were to take the CPP exam in PA, then later try to enter a print competition in my region, would there be paperwork to fill out?

D._Craig_Flory
04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Betsy;

You are correct ... print submission for C.P.P. is entirely different from print competition. And whether a state, regional, or PPA competition ... there are forms & labels to fill out. For most, including our state and PPA, you can download print rules and forms.

If you have never entered a regional, then you have not yet established which one is yours. As an example, since I live in Pa., my regional would be Mid-East which is in Ohio. But I have friends in northwest Pa. who enter the New York Regional. That state is large enough that they are a regional group. If I wanted to I could switch ... but once I switched I can't go back and forth.

Most states allow out-of-state print competition entries. The print case fee is normally higher. You then compete for ribbons like everyone else. But the only trophies you would be eligible for would be out of state ones.

If you are curious ... you can go to our state web site and download our print rules so you can see what they are like. Go to www.ppaofpa.org and look for the print rules download.

I hope I've helped.

Valerie_Kieselhorst
04-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

I would enjoy being part of your Certification study group. I signed up with PPA recently and the certification option has been in my plans for sometime. So why not starting the process now with some motivated people?
I still have time to order my book at amazone to get it before Monday 17th :)
Looking forward to hearing from you!

Lois_Byrne
04-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi Valerie,

Welcome to our study group! Take care, Lois

Jackie_Haggerty
04-05-2006, 03:20 AM
Below is April/May schedules. I also have these in "calendar" form, if anyone wants them emailed to them, but the file was too large to post.

A couple of things to note, the "self quiz" noted on the schedule is part of the study guide mentioned earlier in the thread. You can take the quiz at any time before the discussion, it is noted on Sundays only as a reminder.
The web address is: wps.prenhall.com for the study guide.

Also, a web blog has been set up and a few of us are already set up on Yahoo! Instant Messenger, if you would like to be part of the discussions and have not signed up yet. It is a free service.

I will post June/July/August soon.

April 18- Opening Discussion: Meeting the Group
April 19- Begin Chapter 1
April 23- Self Quiz Chapter 1
April 25- Discussion Chapter 1
April 26- Begin Chapter 2
April 30- Self Quiz Chapter 2

May 2- Discuss Chapter 2
May 3- Begin Chapter 3
May 7- Self Quiz Chapter 3
May 9- Discuss Chapter 3
May 10- Begin Chapter 4
May 14- Self Quiz Chapter 4
May 16- Discuss Chapter 4
May 17- Begin Chapter 5
May 21- Self Quiz Chapter 5
May 23- Discuss Chapter 5
May 24- Begin Chapter 6
May 28- Begin Chapter 6
May 30- Discuss Chapter 6
May 31- Begin Chapter 7

Ron_Zhiss
04-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Hello All,

I wondered if I can join in the study group as well? I have my materials and have just started chapter 1. Is anyone opposed to one more?

Kindest Regards,

Ron Zhiss

Jackie_Haggerty
04-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Nice to have you join also!

Betsy-I tried to send them to you, but your mailbox was full.

Jackie

Deb_Wat
04-06-2006, 06:21 AM
I'm sure most of you realize this already but I just found out and thought I'd post this just in case.

Apparently, you have to fill out an application with a fee for the certification process with the PPA. I downloaded the form at

http://certifiedphotographer.com/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=3286

Once you apply, you have two years to complete the process. I think you have to have this form in before you can take the test.

Anyway, just and FYI.

Deb Wat

Jackie_Haggerty
04-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Deb-

Yes, you are correct. There is an application fee, and you do need to turn in the application before taking the test or submitting images for review. The application and fee are valid for 2 years time. If anyone is are not planning on taking the test soon, and have not turned in the application and fee, they are welcome to still be part of the study group and go through the material. They will then hopefully be prepared when they make the decision to proceed with their certification.

Jackie

Betsy_Finn
04-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Here's the full schedule in PDF format :D . (Thanks Jackie for creating this! I got the file size small enough by deleting the cool graphics :( )

I was thinking about creating a group members contact file as well...any thoughts about that? If you'd prefer to keep your info private, you could PM the info to me and I could send out the file as an email. (it could include name, studio info, email, etc)

Deb_Wat
04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Side bar..

Modern technology is so cool to be able to do this all from different parts of the country!

Even though I may not be able to make every chat on Tuesdays at 4, I will be watching and following the schedule and, I'm sure posting many questions.

Thanks ladies for all your work.

Valerie_Kieselhorst
04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Thank you Lois, Jackie and Betsy for your welcome and inputs! The schedule is printed, the book ordered and my yahoo account created! Yeah!

Betsy, that would be nice if you could put together the information about each participant. About keeping our info private, I think it would be difficult using a public board. What I think would be helpful is to know who is willing to be part of the group. I don't know yet how we will get in touch through yahoo if we use this feature. Don't we need to invite others to be part of the conversation? I found your http://community.livejournal.com/cpp_studygroup/
easier to manage for our weekly conversations. Just my thoughts.
I would be happy to help if I can.

PS: The schedule is 4 pm East time, right?

Betsy_Finn
04-08-2006, 02:35 AM
Valerie --Glad you got everything almost set!

Everyone -- I've updated the link on the blog to a better chat system for us, so we won't have to worry about using an instant messenger program. Here's what you'll do.

1) Go to http://community.livejournal.com/cpp_studygroup/ and click on the "chat button (http://www.chatzy.com/136345623476)" (which I am also linking to directly from here).
2) You'll see a welcome screen -- enter your name, and choose the color you like best (your text will show up in this color), and click "Enter."
3) You're now in the chat room -- there is a menu bar on the left side, and you can feel free to play with the available features.

a) Click on the "Visitor List" button to the left to see who else is currently in the room.
b) If you would like to print out our chat at any point, just click the "Save/Print" button. Don't worry, I will still create a PDF file of our discussions after each session, but I wanted to let you know that you have the option to do so yourself.
4) I will clear the chat room each Tuesday night and post the PDF file -- if I understand this program correctly, it should leave the log up until I tell it otherwise. We'll see if that's true or not though :rolleyes: :p

This should be pretty easy to use and painless -- and, we'll all know to be in the same place at the same time: Tuesdays at 7:00pm EST/6:00pm CST/4:00pm PST

Valerie_Kieselhorst
04-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Just try it!!!! Wao!!! I was by myself but looks to be really painless!!! Thank you so much Betsy!
I PM you for the info Who's Who.
Have a great weekend.

Karen_Linsley
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm back from WPPI now, looks like we are set up for Tuesdays, 4 pm west coast time! I'm looking forward to it.

By the way, if you call or email PPA they will send an application packet to you. I have mine but haven't filled it in yet.

Jackie_Haggerty
04-13-2006, 11:58 PM
If anyone has been following this thread and was considering joining the group you still can do so. We encourage you to get involved if you are considering it, it is easier to change you mind later than to not join at all!

We would be happy to have you. :)

Just send myself or Betsy a PM and you can be added to our list.

David_Capano
04-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Hey Jackie!

You know I want to join, trouble is what we discussed today. I'll know by tomorrow afternoon if I'll be able to make the meetings or not (and believe it or not, it's a real good thing if I can't... sigh) At any rate, definitely add me to the mailing list sales@capano.com and I'll make it if/when I can. We might want to start up a forum elsewhere for this as we're likely to create a lot of traffic... not that the PPA wouldn't want it, but it would be cumbersome. I can help with that, same goes for an internet group chat with microphones sometime as we discussed if there is interest.

Anyway, I really should be in bed a couple hours ago. :rolleyes: Talk to you soon.

Oh, and anyone that hasn't signed up for this yet, DO IT! This is a heck of a group and you don't want to miss out on the coolness that is about to ensue. ***end commercial for Jackie and her coolness*** hehe :cool:

Mark_Turner
04-14-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm going to go ahead and do the app and send in the images for review. Maybe by the time we get the study done, they'll be reviewed and all I'll have to do is pass the test. :)

David_Capano
04-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Well, I heard this morning, I will not be able to make it to study groups on Tuesdays due to this (good) conflict. Thought I'd update you... Jackie, give me a call or lets rap online about the forum etc... before the weekend is over, that way I have time to get this done before time is a thing of the past for me. ;)

Tony_Fagler
04-15-2006, 02:03 AM
Jackie,

Count me in... I have the 8th book and I am looking at other reference materials. so you are all looking at 4pm PST which would be 5pm my time. I will see about that. Throw me to the list tony@heavyfirepower.com

Valerie_Kieselhorst
04-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Just got my book today! yeah! I cannot find any quizzes :confused:
I am going to check the website www.prenhall.com/london.
Have a great weekend everybody and "see u" Tuesday :)

Sheila_Axelson
04-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I've been following this thread but I was unable to post because of an error in my login info. So if it is not too late, I would like to join the group.
I just sent Betsy an email so let me know if you do not get it. Sounds like a cool group, can't wait to work with everyone.

Jackie_Haggerty
04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone that we will begin our group tomorrow evening with an introduction chat to meet everyone and talk about our group. Please use the info provided by Betsy to access our chat room. See you soon!

Tony_Fagler
04-18-2006, 02:29 PM
I am going to back out of this just due to my schedule at this time. I might check in occasionaly if thats great with everyone. Just after reviewing my schedules tuesday's will be hard at that time. DON'T look at changing it. My Primary Job is the killer and owner of me.

Michael_Larsen
04-18-2006, 03:23 PM
I signed up with the journaling site today and am ready to go. I'm assuming we're having the live chats in that site. Is the plan to still meet online tonight at 7 PM EST?

Good day!

Mike

Katherine_Amundsen
04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
study buddy.. it has been ages.. too kewl.

Michael_Larsen
04-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Just found the link to the chat area....I'm all set.

Betsy_Finn
04-18-2006, 04:11 PM
7pm EST/6:00pm CST/4:00pm PST Tuesday Night (tonight).

As a clarification for the blog -- I created that to have our info in one place, easily accessible. Since then, Dave has kindly created a forum specifically for our study group. If you want to post questions about the chapters or discuss something regarding our study, it would be easier to continue that discussion there than on this thread. The Chat room is independent of the blog I created. You can link directly to in, or follow the link I have recently placed in the study group forum.

I've reposted the important links -- and should be sending out the group info sheet soon. Looking forward to tonight :D

Forum: http://www.capano.com/studygroup/nfphpbb
Chat Room: http://www.chatzy.com/136345623476
Photography 8e: http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_8

Lois_Byrne
04-18-2006, 04:14 PM
7pm EST/6:00pm CST/4:00pm PST Tuesday Night (tonight).

I've reposted the important links -- and should be sending out the group info sheet soon. Looking forward to tonight :D

Forum: http://www.capano.com/studygroup/nfphpbb
Chat Room: http://www.chatzy.com/136345623476
Photography 8e: http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_8

To anyone who still want to join - we start studying Chapter 1 this week and have our first Chapter discussion meeting next Tuesday. Take care, Lois

Betsy_Finn
04-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Lois, you are correct, we do start studying Chapter 1 this week (and discuss it next week 4/25). so don't worry.

Tonight's discussion (4/18) is just a discussion to meet the group and get to know each other a little bit, so that we can get down to business next week. I've attached the schedule Jackie made again so you don't have to search through the thread to find it if you still need the schedule.

Sheila_Axelson
04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the updated info; my time calculation was incorrect so I am now thinking it will be at 5pm MST. Mountain time was the one time not listed. Thanks for all the work putting this together! I'll see you in about 35 min. Thanks again! Sheila

Lois_Byrne
04-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Lois, you are correct, we do start studying Chapter 1 this week (and discuss it next week 4/25). so don't worry.

Tonight's discussion (4/18) is just a discussion to meet the group and get to know each other a little bit, so that we can get down to business next week. I've attached the schedule Jackie made again so you don't have to search through the thread to find it if you still need the schedule.

I sent an e-mail on Tuesday morning about this and promptly forgot about the Tuesday evening meeting. :o

Sorry I missed the first meeting. I have read Chapter 1 and have taken the tests already. Take care, Lois

Betsy_Finn
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Sheila -- ah, yes, sorry, I missed MST. No one asked about it until you just mentioned it, and it slipped my mind :( .

Lois -- no problem, you sound like you're on top of things; we'll see you nex week! :D

Jackie_Haggerty
04-25-2006, 03:58 AM
Meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) in the chat room over chapter one. Bring your questions, comments, etc. ! See you there.

Karen_Linsley
04-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I might be a bit late....got a portrait session at 2, maternity, family, ten month old baby, all rolled into one! I'll log on when I can...

Valerie_Kieselhorst
05-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Good morning everyone!
I hope you had a great week since our last meeting :)
I already have a question for tonite:
page 60 is about zone focussing and focusing on the hyperfocal distance. It is mentioned that you need a len's DOF scale to find the f-stop settings that will give you adequate DOF.
This scale disappeared with the digital age.
Does anymone found any alternative solution to have adequate DOF while away from a DOF calculator online?
Talk with you later.

Jackie_Haggerty
05-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Good morning everyone!
page 60 is about zone focussing and focusing on the hyperfocal distance. It is mentioned that you need a len's DOF scale to find the f-stop settings that will give you adequate DOF.
Does anymone found any alternative solution to have adequate DOF while away from a DOF calculator online?
Talk with you later.

Valerie,

What are you doing in chapter 3 already ???? :eek:

Valerie_Kieselhorst
05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Ooops :p
Nevermind, will reread the two before tonite!

David_Mithofer
05-08-2006, 07:32 PM
This study group is a wonderful concept. Would you mind if I mentioned it to candidates who inquire about opportunities to study for the exam?

Regards,
David Mithofer
Manager, Member Services
PPA

Jackie_Haggerty
05-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Of course, mention it to anyone! Anyone willing to expand their knowledge base and work toward certificaion will benefit from knowing there are other people at the same steps they are. If you would like more information about how we have the group set up, it would be my pleasure to share our "secrets". :D ;)

KirkDarling
05-09-2006, 03:50 AM
Good morning everyone!
Talk with you later.

Valerie,

Even us old timers using view cameras never had depth of field scales. We just carry around printed charts.

Betsy_Finn
05-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Valerie --

I know you were interested if there was a "chart" for estimating DOF available anywhere. Well I was curious and decided to look online.... and here is what I found. Now the question is how accurate these are (decide for yourself!)

DOF Chart (http://www.photocritique.net/dof.html) (a nifty-looking chart, premade, that looks like it might be what you were looking for)

John Hendry's Custom DOF Chart (http://www.johnhendry.com/gadget/dof.php) (you can select what lens etc you want your chart to be for)

Understanding DOF (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm) (explanation of DOF and a simpler online DOF calculator)

Betsy_Finn
05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
:D Hi group -- I just wanted to point out that the online quizzes have some flaws. I just got three wrong on one of the ones for Ch. 3, and it turned out to be a programming error (I looked up the "hint" page and found that my "incorrect" answer was right after all).

Feeling curious, I also went back and looked at that question you had Valerie about the T/F question: "It is suggested to begin photographing with your subjects against a very brightly lit background." Although the quiz says true, when consulting the suggested p.9, the text says false (bottom left image/text). :eek:

Just a word of caution -- before you assume you're not right, go look at the text for the answers you got wrong.... :rolleyes:

Valerie_Kieselhorst
05-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Thank you so much Betsy for these refreshing news!!!! I will double check next time I feel confident with my answer vs the test!

About the scale for the DOF, the book mentions it, that is why I was looking for one. The DOF calculator online is a nice tool but on location, I don't have access to the web. The first link you mention Betsy seems to be what the book refers to. I will try it and compare with the DOF calculator online to see how accurate is my reading.
Thanks KirkDarling for your input. I guess the chart mentionned in the first looks like yours.

PS for Betsy: Sorry for the meeting and the technical problems you experienced tonite.

Jackie_Haggerty
05-10-2006, 04:02 AM
Thanks Betsy, for the info. I thought I knew some of those answers!

Also, a note to those in the CPP group, our regular Tues. meeting didn't work out due to technical problems with our chat rooms, so we will be doubling up the meeting next week to go over chapters 3 and 4, please allow extra time if possible so we can cover both chapters.

Mark_Turner
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Voice would mean a quiet place to chat. I don't think I have a quiet place in my home. Yahoo would work, but we wouldn't know who was who for a bit. Maybe the chat room will be back up by then.

Valerie_Kieselhorst
05-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I cross my fingers for next week text chatting, the past weeks worked so well ;)
I believe Yahoo would do it and the limit would be maybe how many people can join the conversation??

IMHO, text chatting is more usefull than voice because of the transcript that can read afterward....(maybe also better for my understanding hehehe)!

Jane_Lechner
05-13-2006, 01:25 AM
I know you're on chapter 4 this week, but if you don't mind a latecomer, I'd like to join the chat.

Jackie_Haggerty
05-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Jane,

Welcome aboard! We would love to have you! I will send you a PM with the basics....

Jackie

Bob_Hopkins
05-19-2006, 05:20 AM
Is it too late to join the study group? I have worked in many different areas of photography since I got my BA in Studio Art w/ emphasis in photography in 1980. I suspect I still have more than a few things I still need to learn for this exam. My email is: bob@focusbyhopkins.com.

Betsy_Finn
05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Not a problem at all, Bob! Welcome to the group.

We're working through chapter 5 this week (to be discussed on Tuesday). :D

I'll send you an email with the info I want for the group contact info sheet.

Jackie_Haggerty
06-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Hello All! Below is an email recently sent to the certification study group about upcoming events.....I thought I would update anyone that has been following this thread.....maybe we will see you there too! Hotel rates have been confirmed also, which appear to be the following: $75 for 1 or 2 people per room, 3 people $80 and 4 people $84. Find a roomie and come along!

Good Morning! During our Tuesday meeting, I mentioned I have the information regarding the PA CPP exam. There has been discussion about trying to meet up with fellow CPP partners at this particular one, in which the exam is being given by Craig Flory, a strong ourppa.com member. He has given us the challenge of beating his record of 12 for the number of individuals taking the exam. Currently, I do know approximately 4 of us with plans to attend.

PPA of Pennsylvania holds 2-day meetings of it's state members quarterly. At their quarterly meetings, they hold guest speakers. The meeting is open to paid guests, and for this particular on, the cost is $79.00 total, per person, and is separate from any other fees associated with Certification. The meetings are being held on Sunday October 1, Monday October 2, and Tuesday October 3. I am still confirming hotel rates. This group of meetings is held at the Radisson Penn Harris Hotel in Camp Hill, PA (across the river from Harrisburg).

Below is the lineup of speakers for the meetings:

Colleen Gonsar and Darty Hines of Colleen and Co., .outstanding portrait photographers in PA and throughout the country, specifically with senior portraits. http://www.colleenandco.com/

Patrick Rice is a wedding photographer. http://www.ricephoto.com/abtpatrick.htm

Mark Campbell will be giving a program on Photoshop (according to Craig Flory, he makes Craig look like a beginner) http://www.prestigephoto.net/

In addition to the speakers, there is a Fall Print Competition for local members, for 8x10 inch prints, around and about Pennsylvania. The prints should be available for viewing.

Below is also a portion of an email from Craig about this area of Pennsylvania, including some links to sites in the area, for anyone that might not want to attend meetings, or would go early.

Till you visit our area ... try going to www.hersheys.com & also http://www.hersheypa.com/ .
And for the Amish and Mennonite area ... http://www.800padutch.com/ . In my town, there is a
bologney plant. If you have never had any Pa. Dutch foods ... try some bologney. For the web site
go to http://www.seltzerslebanonbologna.com/ . One food not to miss is ShoeFly Pie. And for some
restaurants ... http://www.800padutch.com/mem-dine.shtml.

In addition, since you probably need another link in this email, here is the one for PPA of PA. www.ppaofpa.org From the web site, there are links to the hotel, map and directions, and information on the meetings.

I hope to see many of you there! Please reply with your thoughts and plans, and any questions I can have answered for you.

Have a great day!

Jackie

Michael_Larsen
06-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Hi Jackie,

Thank you so much for the information! I am really excited and so far it looks like I'll be able to make it. I won't have a roomie but if all goes well, I should be able to get out of there for under $600 for the few days I'll be there. I'm hoping that the workshops and skills I learn will pay for themselves when I return to Maine. With any luck at all, I'll have a studio space by then.

Take care and I'll talk to you soon. :D

Mike

Karen_Linsley
06-11-2006, 05:16 PM
I will also be attending. On my list of things to do is make reservations soon. One quick question, it looks, from the map, as if a taxi or shuttle bus would get me to the hotel from the airport pretty quickly, that the distance is not that long. Am I reading that accurately, or do I need to rent a car?

Katherine_Amundsen
06-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I will also be attending. On my list of things to do is make reservations soon. One quick question, it looks, from the map, as if a taxi or shuttle bus would get me to the hotel from the airport pretty quickly, that the distance is not that long. Am I reading that accurately, or do I need to rent a car?
most hotels have a courtesy shuttle service, call and see, save some $$

Ron_Zhiss
06-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Katherine,

The hotel does have a service that runs to and from the airport – I checked on it.

Will someone check me on my ‘to do’ list for the CPP
1. Send it application for certification http://certifiedphotographer.com/files/public/Cert-application.pdf
2. Also send in my specialty endorsement certification request http://certifiedphotographer.com/files/public/Cert-ApplicationEndorse.pdf
3. Call PPA in Atlanta at 1-800-786-6277 to register for the exam location and dates – October 1, 2006 in PA
4. Make hotel & flight reservations
5. Submit 20 images for certification and 10 images for the specialty endorsement from within the past 24 months by when? http://certifiedphotographer.com/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=3282 http://certifiedphotographer.com/files/public/Cert-ApplicationEndorse.pdf

I don’t think anything is missing……………… €¦? Jackie? Betsy? Mike? Mark? Katherine?

Kindest Regards,

Ron

D._Craig_Flory
06-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Ron;

You forgot one. You need to e-mail me and let me know you signed up with PPA for me to give you the C.P.P. Exam.
D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, PPA C.P.P. Liaison, Cr.Photog., ASP

Ron_Zhiss
06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Ron;

You forgot one. You need to e-mail me and let me know you signed up with PPA for me to give you the C.P.P. Exam.
D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, PPA C.P.P. Liaison, Cr.Photog., ASP

Right - Sorry Craig!

6. E-mail Craig and let him know to expect you

Ron -

A few questions about specialty endorsements... I assume those images when submitted must not overlap with your Certification portfolio? Could submissions for a wedding specialty include images from the same wedding?)

Betsy,

I can honestly say I do not know – I would guess that you are correct about the image submission, but maybe a PPA Staff member or Certification Liaison could weigh in on this? The information I did find was that, “Images for the specialty endorsement must be submitted in addition to the images required for certification.”

This is from the Specialty Application found on http://certifiedphotographer.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3295

Are the two groups of images – the ones submitted for CPP certification and those submitted for Specialty Endorsement to be two separate and completely distinct sets of images?

Kindest Regards,

Ron

D._Craig_Flory
06-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Ron;

As far as I know ... you first get certified ... and then submit images for the specialties.

For those in other state groups ... here in Pa. we have a group, within our state group, of those who are certified. We have extra speakers, we have a medalion award (which I have ... you need 25 state print merits and 25 service merits) and in print competition there are trophies for those who are certified. Maybe other states can start something like that.

Wow, what a gorgeous day outside ! I had a boys senior portrait session this morning at 7:30AM and it was absolutely perfect. I wish I could clone this day. We are going to be in for a few days of 90ºF which I'm not looking forward to.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified Cr.Photog., ASP

www.floryfoto.com

tivrod
06-28-2006, 06:52 PM
This thread is to open up the possibility of starting a "study partners" group. This year I have committed to working on my certification and studying for the cert. exam, and am looking for anyone interested in becoming study partners. I am looking to set up a study guide timeline with whomever may be interested, and hoping to use the other person to quiz each other, discuss the materials, etc. Anyone else looking at the cert. exam in the future? Email me if you are interested!

Jackie

Jackie:

I just discovered this thread. How is your study group going? Did anyone get certified yet?

I would be interested in participating but we might have to start a second group if there are other interested parties since most of you are probably very close to achieving your objective.

Thanks

Rod

Jackie_Haggerty
06-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi Rod!

Thanks for your interest in our CPP group. We currently have the week off for the July 4 holiday, and the week after we will begin Chapter 11. It would certainly be a good time for another study group to begin, we are halfway through the book now, though anyone that is willing to jump in is more than welcome. There are a few of us that have some catching up to do anyway!

If you are looking to start another study group, I am sure you will have interest. Anyone that may not be planning on taking the certification exam any time soon, this is also a great opportunity to gain more understanding of photography, the history of photography, and gives you a great opportunity to "talk shop" with other photographers, at a committed time for all, who are going over the same material. I highly recommend this method of study, especially for anyone that is not a self-motivator.

You many be surprised, for there may be photographers already in a study group willing to join to go over material they may have missed, or refreash themselves with the chapter another group may be studying. I, for one, would gladly meet again during the week with my peers. It is a nice highlight to your study week!

Feel free to PM or email me if you would like additional information on our schedule, or assistance is getting another group going!

Happy studying!

Jackie_Haggerty
07-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Hello fellow CPP partners. I am posting the chat link here for future reference. Please use this link in the future: www.chat.studiojphotography.net

Ginny_Harrison
07-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi Jackie
I would be interested in getting involved in another study group or just going on with the current one. Is there a new one starting soon? Thanks

tivrod
07-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Ginny:

We two could start a group. I bet if we start one, we will find others to join with us.

Rod

Kathy_Nash
07-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Hi! This month marks my 1 year anniversary as an 'aspiring' photographer, and I'd like to join a new study group, too. I've been meaning to do this for some time, and have had a package mailed before, but I have to start all over again. I am in California, and joined PP-CA, but haven't looked into a certification program here yet. I just got back from the Alaska Cruise, and won't even attempt to be ready for the October exam! My concern is that I am a freelance/nature & wildlife/fine art photographer, and I don't 'fit' into the portraiture or wedding slot, although I would enjoy learning the process and becoming qualified. (I am retired and don't plan on starting a portrait studio now!) I'll now go check the chat-line thread! I hope to get started soon!
Kathy

Stacy_Fulton
07-23-2006, 01:50 AM
I would also be interested in a new study group as well. I have the 8th ed. of Photography and have been studying it for the past few months now and would love a study group to do this with and get ready to do the exam.

tivrod
07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
It looks like we have four interested thus far:

Myself, Ginny Harrison, Kathy Nash, and Stacy Fulton.

I think that is more than enough to get started and would be glad to lead the group. Perhaps Jackie Haggerty will help me get things together and mentor our group.

If everyone thus far is interested, I can set up blog specific to the group.

Let me know.

Here is my current blog:

http://www.fantasyphotographics.com/blog/wordpress/

Rod

Jackie_Haggerty
07-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi Rod!

Of course I would be happy to help, and already have a chat room set up specifically for this, so you don't have to do that step! I'll send you a message.

Jackie

Auralee_Dallas
07-23-2006, 04:06 PM
I am interested in joining the study group. Let me know what transpires as far as getting a new group going. I don't have the book. It seems quite expensive. Where is the best source to get the book?

Betsy_Finn
07-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0131896091/sr=8-1/qid=1153671121/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1020185-2624862?ie=UTF8) usually has a pretty good selection -- you can buy it new, or look through the used options (ranging from new to well-used). Their current price range is $72-$96. Half.com (http://product.half.ebay.com/Photography_W0QQprZ30753544QQtgZinfo) (the buy-it-now version of ebay) has the book ranging from $65-$96. ValoreBooks seems to have the lowest price on the book, according to Froogle (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&q=0131896091&lmode=online&scoring=p), at $57.

Keep in mind that when you're finding the "cheapest" option, you do still have to pay for shipping. You might be able to find someone willing to sell their book to you, but chances are if they're willing to part with it they'll want a price comparable to something you'd find online. I am planning on keeping mine as a reference, and I'm sure that a lot of those who've already passed the CPP exam are doing the same. :rolleyes: :D

Auralee_Dallas
07-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks Betsy,
I ordered my book.
Cheers,
Auralee

tivrod
07-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks Jackie! I appreciate your help.

I had already set up a blog http://www.fantasyphotographics.com/blog/ppacert/ to handle this, but we can use your chat room as well.

Rod

tivrod
07-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the Eighth Edition despite having the older Fourth Edition. The seller has pledged to send by Wednesday 7-26 with proposed delivery somewhere around 8-11.

We next need to discuss which day of the week we would like to meet. I typically have Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings available. We should probably take Jackie's existing syllabus and modify it to suit our own timeline.

I would suggest that we avoid Saturdays and Sundays due to weddings, etc.

For me, the Imaging USA convention in San Antonio, Tx in January, 2007 is a good and practical target time in which to take the certification exam, so perhaps we could consider a six month timeline in which to absorb the material.

Wow, I am amazed how many folks we have managed to attract in such a short time. Thus far, we have Ginny Harrison, Kathy Nash, and Stacy Fulton, Auralee Dallas, and myself.

What do the rest of you think?

Rod

Stacy_Fulton
07-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Taking the exam in 6 months? YIKES!!!!! Okay, okay, I think I can, I think I can..... I will be at Imaging USA, so I guess after studying this stuff for 6 months I should be ready, right? :confused: I certainly hope so! Exams always make me nervous! I hated them in college, and still hate them. Oh well, might as well go for it! :D

As for days that work best for me, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are not good for me. The best days are probably Monday and Thursday. However, I will try and work around whatever works out to be best for everyone else.

Looking forward to getting started!

tivrod
07-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi everyone!

I just registered in Jackie's chatroom and have posted the announcement for the new Certification Study Group.

Please register and join in the discussion here (http://capano.netfirms.com//studygroup/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?p=18#18)

Looking forward to working with every one :)

Rod

Stacy_Fulton
07-24-2006, 03:29 AM
I'm registered in the other forum now. Looking forward to getting started!

tivrod
07-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Great Stacy. Will see you over there.

Rod

Kathy_Nash
07-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Hi, guys,
I have been away for a few days - I will be back in the chat room tomorrow, Monday, to get an idea of what I need to do. I ordered the whole exam info package, and have the certification application downloaded. For some reason, I was not able to get the other PDF files to load. I am in California, so I'll be 'late' coming on-line. I was trying to read back through the threads, and a whole page was missing. I also wrote to PPC (Calif) to ask where or when exams were available out here, but I am planning on coming to Imaging USA as well. I have a lot to do to get ready! Hold my hand!!??? I might just need to wait, but I'll check out all that I need to know first. See ya!
Kathy

Kathy_Nash
07-24-2006, 07:56 PM
I have Amazon.com on stand-by and want to get the best reading materials I can for the exam and my own extensive knowledge. Do you recommend any other books that would be helpful, or should I save my money and just start here? It's funny - I have almost every book I could want on digital and CS2, and very little on film and darkrooms!

Have you decided what day(s) and times you want to meet? My schedule is flexible - I am semi-retired from our family-owned business we sold last spring, so I can devote my attention to this!

My log-in name for Jackie's chat-room is MtnKat, so keep an eye out for me!
Kathy
mtnkat@mac.com

Betsy_Finn
07-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Do you recommend any other books that would be helpful, or should I save my money and just start here? It's funny - I have almost every book I could want on digital and CS2, and very little on film and darkrooms!
Kathy, the CPP website has a list of supplementary texts that could be helpful when studying for the CPP exam. I have purchased and read through a few of them and found them helpful so far. (http://www.certifiedphotographer.com/files/public/ReadingList.pdf)

(I won't be taking the exam until this fall, so we'll have to wait until then to see how much those books help!)

Kathy_Nash
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Thank you Betsy for the link! I did order some other books not on the list from Amazon that will likely cover the bases. As the study group grows I can obtain other issues if need be. I am currently looking at the companion site:http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_8/0,8898,1258211-,00.html
to see how much I already know! It's fun! Have we decided on a day or time for the study group? My books should be arriving by the end of next week, but I can use the companion site in the meantime. :)

Keith_Goodman
07-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Would like to join the newest forming study group..

-- Keith

SabrinaDionne
07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks Kathy for sending me this ...

I found the Book they suggest on PPA.com through Amazon used ... so I will order that and get started. Taking two weeks per chapter or more to make sure I have the understanding I need.
I also found the other suggested books so if any of you guys know which ones will do me Good let me know.

BTW ... I am new to PPA yet so excited to be here!

Smiles,
SabrinaDionne

Joe_Heiliger
08-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I am in Houston, and will definitely be at Imaging as it is just up the road from me.

I would love to join the new study group when it starts. I will register and see you guys on the other forum. We may need to start another group if everyone decides to stay...

Thanks,

Joe Heiliger