PDA

View Full Version : Is this getting closer?

Julie_Poole
05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I will probably reshoot this with my daughter wearing something else. It was a very cute dress on tulip paper, but, didn't really go with the mood of this particular image

http://llpoolej.smugmug.com/photos/537325481_Nv5DN-O.jpg

pavelstudios
05-19-2009, 04:15 AM
very true, but a good image.

the stain/spot in upper right-center is also drawing my eye back and forth away from the subject.

John_Metcalfe
05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Julie,

My wish for you is to first stop making excuses for your work before we get to view it. By speaking about it before we get to look does not give us the chance to come to our own conclusions. Allow us to look, then we can discuss.

Julie quote: I will probably reshoot this with my daughter wearing something else. It was a very cute dress on tulip paper, but, didn't really go with the mood of this particular image.

Getting the "but" out of your vocabulary is not always as easy as some make it, however can be done. By what you stated, you already know some of the things to look for. Now, change/adjust them before you shoot. I understand living in the moment, "but"...

Julie_Poole
05-19-2009, 02:12 PM
:) I'll do that. I am a "but" sorta person and I am working on that

Keith_A_Howe
05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Julie,

My understanding is that you posted this image knowing it had a few issues that you were aware of but asking if there were other things that you should also address when you try it again. Have I got that right? Personally I kinda like it when someone posts an image and lists what they know are issues. That shows me they have been listening to what everone on here is saying and then using that information to evaluate their own work. It also saves me time from writing about the stuff they already know. So don't ever feel reluctant to post an image that isn't perfect yet. It's also really educational for other to see the evolution of an image, so you aren't just helping yourself when you share a image in process. You are helping everyone else see how to take their work to another level.

What I would like to see here is a tiny bit lower camera angle. Right now we are seeing more of the top of your daughter's head then I would like. I don't think cropping the top off anymore is the answer and I really don't want to see her chin come up because then you lose the nuzzling into the dog feel. So try just bringing the camera down a little. I would also like to see her body turned toward the dog just a little bit more and her face turned ever so slightly camera right. I think that would help get an even nicer light pattern across her face and body. I don't think you need the girls nose touching the dogs nose as long as her cheek is still snuggled up- you will still keep that emotional connection. This is an image where I think the effect does add to the image a little. It has an almost 1950's americana feel and the grunge adds to that retro feel, but I would soften it up and make it more subtle.

Keith

John_Metcalfe
05-20-2009, 01:50 PM
:) I'll do that. I am a "but" sorta person and I am working on that

Too funny... What sort a therapy group do you work with?

Okay back to the business at hand...

We all take a different approach to achieve our goals. (even when we are following the same guidelines) "But", lacking in the eloquence of other men and angels I'll trudge through...

Taking an otherwise ordinary subject and creating an extraordinary image, facing your fears while presenting your work, listening and learning from the critiques of others are some of the goals we all strive for. By allowing yourself to be subjugated to such a process can be the very ditch we need to jump to bring us where we wish to be.

I commend you on asking, and I find it fun to rework in my mind what I would have done given the chance.

Keith answered your question. Why? Because you asked it... Using a lifetime of experience, he gave you a very thoughtful and precise string of observations/adjustments to advance your image. Can you now see those changes in your mind? Can you approach your subjects in a manner that will project those thoughts given? Will you be able to find the interaction/mood and raise your image to a new level?

I will wait patiently for the results. It's okay, I've got time...

Julie_Poole
05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes, I can definitely see the changes in my mind. I have already started visualizing what I will do differently. I agree with all that has been pointed out.

Haven't yet joined a therapy group, but, now might not be a bad time ;) My BA is in psychology, but, chose to not persue it as a profession, as I think I might have not been the most thoughtful counselor. :)

I have a new goal set in my head and as ocd as I am, I will work toward it until I get it. It might take awhile, but, I'll eventually get there

John_Metcalfe
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Haven't yet joined a therapy group, but, now might not be a bad time ;) My BA is in psychology, but, chose to not pursue it as a profession, as I think I might have not been the most thoughtful counselor. :)

Too rich! My spider sense hinted this at me, however I would not have dreamed they were this close to the mark!

As far as being "thoughtful", I would prefer "truthful" no matter how much it hurt. Sure, I would want the truth to not be so deafening sometimes, but I wouldn't refuse and turn away...

I look forward to see your changes.

Julie_Poole
05-20-2009, 11:08 PM
It was in my senior year when I figured out that all psychologists were nutty than fruitcakes. I had to take a group facilitation class(group therapy) and holy cow, everyone was nuts. I was horrified when the weird dude sat with his shoes off, cross legged and picked his toenails. Everyone sat and complained about their sorry lives. I had to go on a weekend retreat. I was happy, my life was good. I didn't fit in. That was the epiphany for me

I thought of going into industrial psychology, but, too much math for me. I was set to get my masters in ethology(study of the behavior of animals and don't ask what I would have done with that degree, it just sounded like a cool course of studies) but, Mom said I'd have to pay for it myself. I wasn't *that* set on an advanced degree so I went with my BA in psychology and trained hunter/jumper horses.

Which, is why if you look at my website you see a predominance of animals. Its my specialty. Its a booming niche if you like animals.

I'll take my daughter and that dog tomorrow. We'll play around a little more with a solid colored top and the changes suggested

John_Metcalfe
05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I guess welcome to the nut house was an understatement...

You've seemed to come to the right conclusions and now you are where you need to be.

I'm looking forward to seeing your images...

Julie_Poole
06-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I feel like I am asking way too many questions. I haven't had a chance to get my daughter and dog back to the studio, as I never made it to the store to get her a plain colored dress. Now the kids are with grandparents :)

I reworked this and put a less splotchy texture on it and didn't cut her head off.

http://llpoolej.smugmug.com/photos/575161309_uqu9H-O.jpg

Here is is on a 16x20 digital mat

http://llpoolej.smugmug.com/photos/575161884_fqCvK-O.jpg

So, I am trying to see. Seeing is so much harder for me than doing.

Matt, I am also from Knoxville! Do you go to the local PPA meetings?

D._Craig_Flory
06-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Julie;

I would suggest flipping the image and moving the subject layer so they are on the 4th quadrant. In the current position my eyes encounter them immediately instead of having my eyes enter from the left, go across, and then get to them. Also, by flipping the lighting will be coming from the left which is better. It is a bit too bright in some areas and especially her bare arm. Here is how I see it being presented.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/JulieGirlAndDog.jpg

Julie_Poole
06-27-2009, 04:29 PM
That looks better! Thanks!

D._Craig_Flory
06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Julie;

I don't know if you know this or not but, even if you do, it may help someone else. In Photoshop, you can set it up to show the rule of thirds grid over an image. Do the following:

Click on Edit > Preferences. Go to Guides, Grid, and Slices. Next, under Grid ... Under Style set as Lines / Under "Gridline Every" put 33.3 & Percent & Subdivisions ... 1. I have my color set as Medium Blue.

Open an image and click View > Show > Grid. If you have your subject layer, over a background layer, and access the grid you can move the subject layer around till you have the main subject on or near one of the Golden Mean Points. (Quadrants)