PDA

View Full Version : Post Office/CPP results

laurapiazza24
05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Anyone else is being tormented by the US Post Office? My fellow test takers received their results as early as Saturday. As of 4:59 PM, Wednesday night, I still have not received my results. I wonder what's going on with the post office to cause a delay with some and not with others.

Hopefully no one else is experiencing this....

Christine_Walsh-Newton
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I am exactly in the same boat as you. (only worse, because I believe I took my exam the week before you)

I took my exam in PA on April 19th.

On Friday, May 8th, I was told that my results had been mailed "earlier this week."

I'm still waiting.

laurapiazza24
05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh no! i had seen your post last week. I figured by NOW you'd have gotten your results. that is horrible. It's one thing to have to wait for the process. But having to wait on account of the post office is so frustrating! I hope you get your results today!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
05-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Laura check your merit status. It might just say CPP

laurapiazza24
05-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi Jane,
I thought of that, but since I have not submitted my images yet (took the exam first) that would not work. So now, i wait and am at the mercy of the post office. :(
thanks!

Don_Chick
05-15-2009, 12:26 PM
..... and am at the mercy of the post office. :(
thanks!

The Post Office shows no mercy! Otherwise they would have delivered your letter alreary...:eek:

Keith_A_Howe
05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
How hard would it be for PPA to just send out emails? Wouldn't that be quicker and also no postage cost and less paper waste if we are trying to be green? I can't see how it would take more work for PPA staff to send an email instead of printing a letter and stuffing an envelope. Seeing as how I am no longer certified I doubt I would get very far but maybe somebody who is active in the program ( Micheal Gan?) can find out why notification couldn't be switched to email. Another option would to be post scores on the website like they do competition results. they could be listed by membership numbers rather then name if they want to keep them confidential

Keith

ChrisGrandell
05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Keith,

When I got my image submission results, those were via email and had comments on my submission. I would guess that the tests are an automated system.

Keith_A_Howe
05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
What's the greatest number of people taking the test at one time? I don't think I've ever heard of more then 6-10 at the most. I can't see how the numbers are so big that it has to be automated and they can't just send individual emails. Holly got a personal phone call when she passed the test and it was less then a week after she took it. Maybe there are a lot more people testing now then back then but I haven't yet heard any legitimate reasons why they can't speed up the process of notifying people. I think the delays are a post office issue and not a Certification committee problem, so emails would bypass the post office entirely.

Keith

Michael_Gan
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Notification is done in all three ways to make sure each candidate is notified. Typically, the credential line on your merit chart would show first because Marisa is able to activate that on your accounts right away. The by mail part is because if the candidate is approved, they receive their nifty certificate at the same time, thus the reason snail mail is just that: All mail is sent at the same time. I think the only time it takes a while, electronically, is if there is a dispute by the candidate - "Why were my images rejected when a Master Photographer says they should pass", or if there is a delay in the determination because of a ruling question that has to be discussed with the commission chair (The commission and the committee are two separate ruling bodies).

There are no scores in certification judging. Each judge either accepts, or rejects the entire body of work. There are 4 judges who make the preliminary evaluations for one week (typically, there are about 100 submissions each period). Then, there is a conference call with a total of 7 judges. If all 4 of the judges accepts the candidate, then they are automatically approved. The judges then go into discussion as to why any of candidates received a rejection. Each judge must make their case as to why they accepted or rejected the candidate.

The hard part for the judges is that they are instructed to not judge the candidate based on any individual images. This goes both ways. If a few of images are bad, the judges have to look at the other images to see if the candidates are demonstrating that they "know what they are doing". Current guidelines are generally if you are demonstrating what you studied for in the written exam portion. If the images contain a few "merit" images, same thing. This is probably the hardest one to take for some candidates.

One thing that has been extremely hard to judge are photographers who submit scenics for certification. We call it the "pretty picture" problem. The reason for this is because it sometimes looks like the candidate ran out of client images and used scenics to fill in the rest of the 20 images. We are now able to view the candidates "purpose statements". But be forewarned: If you make the statement "Image of the Eifel Tower created at the request of the client", for example, and it comes to find out that that is not true, you will end up in ethics violation that will go beyond banning you from certification. Bottom line, purjury is not good, and all it takes is a complaint from a photographer local to you to say "Hey, all his travel images are just for fun, they actually do nothing but portrait work", and the investigations begin, from the commission, committee, and BRE (you don't wanna mess with these guys;))

Keith_A_Howe
05-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Micheal, I was refering to test scores, not image submission. The credential line will not reflect if the test was passed but images were not yet submitted. There is also no need to use snail mail to send out a certificate if they have just taken the test and not submitted images yet. This thread was about test scores only unless I read it wrong. I understand how image submission would take longer but that's not the issue being addressed here, so sorry but you didn't answer my question which is why can't applicants be notified of their exam results via email rather then waiting on snail mail? Personally I don't care because I am not certified, but this waiting seems to be an issue that comes up a lot and if a simple change in how they are notified could solve it, then why not? There must be a legitimate reason reason that I am not aware of.

Keith

Michael_Gan
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Sorry, what threw me off was the mention of the "credential" area in the merit chart. That won't come up until both are completed. But, the results and the scores are sent via both e-mail and letter. Many times the deay is not with PPA, but because the liaisons take up to a week (or more) to send the tests in (which is odd, because all they have to do is stick it in the fed ex envelope and drop it in the box).

Also the timing of this thread which is happening while image evaluations are taking place.

My bad.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I already put these details in my thread about passing my test - but I'm going to add them here because I feel it's pertinent to the discussion.

April 19th - took exam at PPA of PA conference - 2 test takers total

April 22 - Liason Fedexed exam to PPA

May 2nd - Inqired via email as to status of test - was told "They will be graded next week"

May 9th - Inquired via email as to status to test - was told "results were mailed earlier this week"

May 14th - received test results - letter and score sheet were dated April 28th, envelope was postmarked May 11th

Obviously, my results sat on someone's desk or got lost in a shuffle of paperwork for nearly 13 days. I was also placated via email twice with false information.

I find this entirely unacceptable.

laurapiazza24
05-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Still no letter :( Such a disappointment. I vote for electronic delivery of results.

Michael, you said that the results and the scores are sent via both e-mail and letter. I have not been aware of anyone receiving their results via email, nor have I. Could my results be sent via email today by any chance, as this waiting is killing me! ;)

thanks

laurapiazza24
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I hope my letter is not sitting on someone's desk. Christine thanks for sharing your timeline. i'm glad to see that you were rewarded in the end with a passing grade.

Michael_Gan
05-15-2009, 04:55 PM
email Marisa at mpitts@ppa.com. She will find out where your results are.

laurapiazza24
05-15-2009, 05:19 PM
actually, I emailed her this am, but have not heard back yet.

Mark_Levesque
05-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh, goodness, Laura. You must be going crazy! It sounds like something fell through the cracks. Hopefully the right person will wake up soon and move your letter along the path so you can find out about your passing grade. :)

Don_Chick
05-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Marisa is swamped.

It was 2 days to get a reply to an email. Usually she takes a couple hours....

Michael_Gan
05-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Marisa coordinates all the images with Corey for the image evaluations which are going on now. Also, spring is a heavy season for exams. One association I will be giving a written exam has, at last report, 12 taking the exam which could bring their certification totals up to about 60 out of 90 members when all is said and done. Think about this. Most of the State, Local, and Regional conventions are around this time, since January, and all the conventions are giving out the exam in addition to IUSA. Lots of exams to grade and sort out in addition to other membership services that PPA must maintain.

So, hang in there folks.