PDA

View Full Version : Texas School!

Peter_Bauer
05-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow!

Just got back last night from the Texas School of Professional Photography (my first time there) and I was quite impressed! One possible addition to the curriculum for next year might be a class on PPA print competition -- maybe even one for photo and one for EI. If anyone would be interested in such a class, chime in here. If there's sufficient interest (and someone with appropriate credentials and experience would like to teach such a class), I'll certainly support it with Don Dickson and the Trustees of the school.

I do have to say that my students were great, my colleagues were great, the staff and support were great, the extra curricular activities (can you say "free beer" and "Six Flags"?) were more than great, and the overall experience was truly outstanding! I hope to teach another Intermediate/Advanced Photoshop class there next year.

Best,
Pete

Peter_Bauer
05-16-2009, 02:58 AM
34 views and no replies -- I guess that means no one is interested in a program on improving your competition scores at Texas next year, right?

Dave_Cisco
05-16-2009, 03:58 AM
34 views and no replies -- I guess that means no one is interested in a program on improving your competition scores at Texas next year, right?

Not a full week of it:)
Improving your photography skills will improve you competition scores.

Keith_A_Howe
05-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree with Dave. Most people who are going to spend the time and money to attend a week long school want to learn something that will improve their business and make them more money. I STRONGLY believe that competition does both but maybe that connection is not as obvious to someone who is trying to decide what class to invest in. You might get more support for a one day class. I would love to be involved in teaching something like that and I also know a whole bunch of other names for you to consider. Bob Hawkins immediately comes to mind, Randy Mc Neilly or Jon Allyn are a couple others.

I am trying to get something like this set up in Nebraska at one of our events. I know (from the large number of people I worked with privately before HOA this year) that there is a real desire out there for the information. What I envision is a class to start off, where we cover a bunch of stuff and especially some of the general knowledge that's not written down anywhere. Then the second half of the class the panel of 3 or 4instructors ( all affliate qualified jurors) would each be seated at a seperate table around the room and the participants go go from table to table and get feedback on images they are thinking of entering, similar to the print mentoring sessions that take place at IUSA every year. I don't know if this will come to pass or not but we'll see.

Keith

TracyeGibson
06-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Peter! Duuuuuuuuuude! ;)

I would like a class on this but I think I agree with Dave and Keith. A week and my eyes would glaze over <you know my attention span;) >. Maybe it could be one of the early bird programs? American Photographic Artisans Guild is planning on a day/possible online class like this, but it is still in the 'planning' phase.