PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions before Tomorrow - NHPPA

MarilynDillon
04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi
My case is almost packed -- I just need to finalize which shot from this photoshoot to put in. I have looked at them so long I may have lost any remaining objectivity. The names I have chosen are included. Please send opinions on names, impact, and which you think will do better. Thanks!

MASTER OF THE HOUSE

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/MasteroftheHouse_NHPPA.jpg

THE LAST SHOT

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/TheLastShot_NHPPA.jpg

John_Metcalfe
04-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I hold that #1 is the stronger. At first I admit I wanted the front paw sharper, but after thinking about it and the impact the critical focus has on the image I changed my mind. I would just like to see from the paw up through the leg toned down to look like the back leg.

Also I wasn't sure of the title till I got into the eyes and the posture of the subject. The title I think still needs more for I believe some judges may not get it or find out profound enough. You are on the right path though.

MarilynDillon
04-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Thank you John, for your help. I totally value your opinion. Any other opinions?

Here are some alternative names I just brainstormed.
"Bonaparte"
"Grand Duke of Weimar"

StaceyDamon
04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
He needs a royal name for sure...he kind of has a snobby look about him. What is his name? Something regal...last year we came up with "Sir Winston" for one of Heather's dog photos. "Sir Chester" "Sir Bonaparte"...sir something? Ok...I just googled 'royal names" and this came up...LOL http://www.i-love-dogs.com/names/origin/royal_102.html

k9malinda
04-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Dear Miss Dillion:

As a photographer who somewhat specializes in k9 photography, I would like to offer a few comments.

I would have shot the first shot from a lower level or had him lift his head. The eyes are too "droopy" looking and they could have looked sweet if it been a little higher up or looking at the camera.

I do love the slight color in the image #1. nice.

#2 is a nice and comforting image. Caught the pup at the time when most people are not looking. Good angle.

Good luck with your competition! ;)

Leana_Moss
04-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm going to differ - I like #2, especially with the title.

#1 is pretty - but he look so sad to me, not regal or master. A different title might change my mind.

MarilynDillon
04-24-2009, 10:14 PM
An alternate name for the second image could be:
"That's a Wrap"
hopefully, implying that the dog falling asleep ended the session

John_Metcalfe
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
My reasoning for not going with #2 is it is at a point of being a do over. Anytime the viewer/judge can see obvious manipulation (a.k.a. the burned edges) they are most likely going to go sour. A better approach would be to make an overall tone on the floor then come back and progressively grow darker to the edge or edges.

Also my attention is split on #2 between the paw and the muzzle, having two subjects spread too far apart. I've looked at it in PS and liked it better making the image smaller and not having it stretch edge to edge. (sorry, I didn't save it.)

MarilynDillon
04-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Thank you all for your input and suggestions.
I am closing the case! Will have to fill you in after the comp on sunday.
:o

StaceyDamon
04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
ohhh, Marilyn...time to tell everyone which one and how you diiidddd!!!!

Don_Chick
04-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Yea Marilyn.... spill the beans. These folks need to know :D:D

Patty_Axford
04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Oh my goodness, Marilyn - I am so proud of you! Don't forget to let everyone know how you did on this at competition. Congratulations on all of the well-deserved recognition!
Take Care
Patty

MarilynDillon
05-02-2009, 01:53 AM
hehe -- thanks everyone! i am just now feeling like i am getting caught up on sleep and work around here. I am happy to say that i feel like i chose the right image. I chose the front view of the dog and called it "bonaparte". It scored an 83! yay....and got a fuji. I also had a wedding album that got an 84 and album of the year. Other prints went 77,76 and ugh -- 74.
It was a hard decision -- more than one had said that the folded arm might be a little awkward - however, I have to say that my understanding is that the pose is very typical of that breed of dog. they tend to be very limber and put themselves into positions like this all the time. Thanks to everyone here (and at nhppa) for their support and encouragement. You all rock!