PDA

View Full Version : comp worthy?

Christina_Showalter
04-23-2009, 04:25 PM
what do you think? what would be a good title? there is a hair light/accent to the right. His hair is so dark and absorbed tons of light. Is that distracting....

I tried to upload a bigger one (the sticky instructions) but I just couldn't get it to work. If someone would like to walk me through it I'd love it.

John_Metcalfe
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
So far there has been 27 views and no posts on your image. I don't know how many are yours, but after a quick view there are some tell tale ways to find out strengths in your image. First of all, without any distractions view your image with squinted eyes. The first thing you should see is the part of your subject you wish the viewer to see first. Most times it is the brightest spot or the thing holding the most contrast. In my case it was his shirt. The shirt is so bold that it overpowers the subject. Second, ( now I am typing this without viewing the image any longer) is to make sure you have an image with impact. Your wish is to be memorable. I saw floor lines cutting through, burning around the edges, detail loss in the shadow area and the child though handsome was not running me over with cuteness. I you wish to speak more I would be happy to help.

Christina_Showalter
04-23-2009, 07:35 PM
None of the views were mine except this one. It is discouraging when no one comments. so thank you for replying. I see your points. I only ever entered one print in competition and really don't have a clue what to look for in myown images. I can look at others and pick things out but I have a hard time with my own for some reason...

Ashley_Short
04-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Christina,

I think I'm the same way you are. I look at my images so much that I don't see them for what they are anymore.

On that note, I think the blonde girl w/ the red background would make a better image for comp than this one. (To me, at least, it has much more impact.) You'd have to make sure there's detail in the blacks and fix the catch lights in her eyes (if I remember correctly) I would also play with different crops. But she's stinkin' cute!

Good luck

ashley

John_Metcalfe
04-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Even though I am not worried much about catching heat or being snubbed for not being politically correct, please know that I wish to put your interests first.

You will find a certain number of people posting asking questions and hoping for answers. (trying to see the light if you will) In return, you will see a different category of people answering (most times always the same active people) and I commend them. However sometimes it leaves the maker no better off than when they started. Then there are the people who know... The masters and the judges who except for a rare few (which I also honor) who never respond after viewing the image. I am guilty of this or at least I was, but I can no longer turn the other way.

I for one will be more than happy to respond and if you wish to contact me you may do so at john@5ive6ixty.com

Christina_Showalter
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
thanks to Mark for walking me through posting a larger image!! Computers are so technical, no spaces, gotta have all the slashes, blah blah:D

ok now it is huge...

http://www.glimpsephotography.com/pix/comp.jpg

Christina_Showalter
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Ashley

which image were you referring to?
was it one of these? same blond

http://www.glimpsephotography.com/pix/showred.jpg
http://www.glimpsephotography.com/pix/showpink.jpg

Ashley_Short
04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Christina,

I was referring to the first one. Her expression is priceless. You'll probably want to PS in some room above her head and I wish there were more of the whites of her eyes showing, but I, personally, like this one better than the original of the boy. It has way less distractions, and, to me, more impact. Just my opinion though. :)

Is there detail in the black?

ashley

P.S. Sorry, I meant to tell you it was the one on your homepage... easily distracted today I guess!

Christina_Showalter
04-23-2009, 11:57 PM
there is detail in the black, you can see the seam but it is a solid black shirt so...

Rick_Massarini
04-24-2009, 05:57 AM
The main thing that distracted me from his face was the shadow side of the face and his hair blending into the shadows with little or no separation. A low powered kicker light on the right hand side behind him or a silver reflector behind and above him to add a little separation highlight would have have helped to pull his hair out from the background. I'm not sure that the low position of the image on the mat helps the image. I feel that it might look stronger if slid up into the upper portion of the mat instead of the lower portion. Just my opinion, of course...