PDA

View Full Version : Please CC this image.

Carlos_Garcia
04-23-2009, 03:43 AM
What do you think about this image? Does it have any possibility for print competition?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk89/carlosgarciaphoto/engagement-images-007.jpg

John_Metcalfe
04-23-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm preparing for others to disagree but IMO

1. there is too heavy of a burn

2. the gentleman is in a stagnant pose not to mention the body language is lacking in motion and emotion. If there is emotional contact in the faces, as displayed it is not strong enough.

3. the frame of the window is cutting into the gentleman's head

I think they would applaud you for your effort but no merit.

Rick_Massarini
04-23-2009, 07:14 AM
...not trying to discourage you, but I agree with John's comments.
The intentional over-use of vignetting and edge burning is fine for some client images, but for competition, the key-hole effect caused by heavy edge burning can detract from the image. If I were numerically scoring this image, I would place it at the upper end of the Average Category (around a 75).
But then again, that is only my opinion...

Carlos_Garcia
04-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm preparing for others to disagree but IMO

1. there is too heavy of a burn

2. the gentleman is in a stagnant pose not to mention the body language is lacking in motion and emotion. If there is emotional contact in the faces, as displayed it is not strong enough.

3. the frame of the window is cutting into the gentleman's head

I think they would applaud you for your effort but no merit.

Hi my friend,
Thanks so much for the comment. it's good to hear from others about my work. I expect any kind of comments, and I am glad you pointed in orderly manner what you see. Thanks.

Carlos_Garcia
04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
...not trying to discourage you, but I agree with John's comments.
The intentional over-use of vignetting and edge burning is fine for some client images, but for competition, the key-hole effect caused by heavy edge burning can detract from the image. If I were numerically scoring this image, I would place it at the upper end of the Average Category (around a 75).
But then again, that is only my opinion...

H Rick thanks so much for the comment, that's the whole point about posting images for critique. Thanks

k9malinda
04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Carlos:

I think your concept was very good. The heavy looking industrial type building, very urban with the couple in black. Nice contrast.

I would also applaud you on the nice exposure, looks nice.

The building might have served you better if it weren't part of the focus of the building and was more of the background / feeling of the image.

Too many windows and pipes etc... try it from a corner where there might not be so many visual interruptions.

I love the "burned edges" on some images, however, this is a LOT of burning and draws your eye to it. Whenever you notice one thing more than the image it is more than likely not a good choice.

The logo of your company is a little large and detracts from the couple.

I am sure your couple loved the image and have ordered a number of them. :) however, as for a competition print, it might be a little too much "effort" for what might have been a nice competition image with a few minor adjustments. :0

Hope that helps a bit

Carlos_Garcia
05-04-2009, 04:53 AM
[QUOTE=k9malinda;201803]Carlos:

Thank you so much for your comments. It really helps a lot in this learning process. I love this wall as is. I will keep in mind your observations and try to avoid too many distractions.

Carlos-

Keith_A_Howe
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Carlos
I am with you, I like the wall and the design elements it provides. However in this situation it is too sharp and competes for attention to the point it becomes a second subject. Let it go more out of focus. I would also like to point out that in this image the windows in upper left combined with those on the middle right side because of tone and reflection create a line that pulls the eye diagonally out of the image. I would suggest cropping off the right window. Then if the couple were moved closer to the pipe they would be in a stronger composition and the window in the upper left would work with the couple's outfits to pull you to them. It would also help avoid the distraction of the window frame hitting his head. Also watch for small details, like the way her calf blends with the building makeing her have a angular looking leg and the vertical line keystoneing caused by lens choice.
JMO Keith