PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Feedback on Two Possibilities for Print Comp

Kate_Parker
04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
This will be my first time entering national print comp. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to offer advice and criticism on these two.

Thanks!
Kate

working titles are:

first image - "Color Blind"

second image possibilities are "Me, Myself and I" or "Self-Reflection" or "A Reflection of Me"

http://www.kateparkerphotography.com/temp/print-comp/colorblind-WEBRES.jpg

http://www.kateparkerphotography.com/temp/print-comp/self-reflectionWEB-RES.jpg

DianeDavis
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
On the first one I notice the shine on the kids faces. Also the mat color draws my eye away. Maybe something from the image to unite the mat and the image?

The second one I'll leave to the seasoned critiquers- hopefully they will find time in this busy week to pop in.

Kate_Parker
04-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I changed the mat and reduced shininess in the first one.

TIA to anyone else willing to CC.

Kate

D._Craig_Flory
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Kate;

I will study the maternity image more later. For now, I will tell you that my favorite artist has always been Norman Rockwell. As presented, I don't care for the first image. Here is how I see it being handled and presented. I titled my version for you as "Coloration" which is a line of colors.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/ColorationByKateParker.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi Kate;

I looked more at the 2nd image. It is cute and creative. But, it looks too static to me. On both images her ankles are the brightest areas. Neither one really fits composition wise.

I would have liked seeing a ghost image of her pregnant and an image of her with the baby blended in on top using a layer mask. That could be great.

Kate_Parker
04-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback!

A lot of views and not very many opinions... I have to wonder what people are thinking out there? Anybody else care to comment? I can take it. :)

TIA!

jhurdphoto
04-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Hey Kate!
I can only offer you feedback on the photographic image which I would love to. Regarding presentation for competition, I would look to senior members with judging experience. So here goes.
I love your first image of children! Great moment captured. Very candid. I wish the background was a different color. White would be perfect. The red bench would set the color tone for the vibrancy of the image. The boy's shirt clashes with the background color. The matte choice enhances that clash. If I got another wish, I would like to see the eyes of the girl in the middle. Her expression is great but looking a little too far down. But hey, they're children. Whatcha gonna do?
The second image I don't care for at all. My thought is solely based on how gravity is pulling on her face. I like the concept, but it didn't work on this one. Back in the day, one of my photography professors used to hammer my class with the expression "Great idea, poor execution". I think this applies here. I also think it needs to be lit differently to avoid becoming flat.
And there you have it. My nickel minus three.

Rick_Massarini
04-23-2009, 06:50 AM
On the first image - the one of the children, I also find the colors somewhat distracting.

On the second image, I like the idea, but the dark bar through the middle and the low angle of light on the face of the woman would make me place the image in the "above average" category but slightly below the "deserving of a merit" category. If the main light were to be moved to where it was above and behind the woman placing her face into a more pleasing "rimlit profile" lighting arrangement, and the images pushed together so that it looked more like a mirror image arrangement, I would be looking at something in the "deserving of a merit range".

Kate_Parker
04-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer your feedback!