PDA

View Full Version : Official 2009 "I hate my case" thread

Jeff_Dachowski
04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
So with a heavy heart.....

I need to say....

That it is official. I have reached a point where I hate my print case, and am certain the prints will not even hang in the show, let alone be in the merit category.

Jeff

StaceyDamon
04-20-2009, 05:29 PM
This thread is just for superstition purposes right...;) So I will go along with it then...but I saw some of those prints remember, ok shhhhh...if you say you hate it, it must be bad ;)

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-20-2009, 05:31 PM
so do we get to see them? :D

Angela_Lawson
04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
And isn't that the same thing you said last year?!!!:rolleyes:

Stephanie_Millner
04-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Poor Little Bunny...

... Life is hard when you're Jeff. ;)

mrbarton
04-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Geez Jeff, I love my case. I have 4 for 4 in seals. Is that better? Oh wait, did that just jinx you? Ha! Tradition is tradition. Tell you what, you keep yours and we'll start this one for me! Ha. Best of wishes!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
04-21-2009, 02:13 AM
OK I guess I hate my case too. (but it's been one of the easiest I've put together) :o

John_Metcalfe
04-21-2009, 01:10 PM
I guess I don't belong here either. (That's why I posted) 4 for 4 and just waiting to see what happens next. Are the results coming out soon?

Andrea_Chapelo
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh Jeff...you really are a poor little bunny :p I am so sad I will not get to see you and Carrolle clean up again this year. Someone text me with results so I wont be so sad :(

Mark_Levesque
04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Ah, yes. The annual "I hate my print case" thread just before renting a cart to carry home all the awards. :)

Rest assured that poor little bunny is gonna do just fine.

Heather_L._Smith
04-22-2009, 03:06 AM
I officially called my case the Hail Mary case this year, in honor of this thread from last year. I really DO hate my case... as a matter of fact, I won't actually even see my physical prints until I arrive in NH on Friday... they're being drop-shipped over there! Yikes. They're all client images, and I have a love/hate relationship with them. I actually printed more than I needed just in case I change my mind and choose one over the other. How's that for indecision??

If you see me over in the corner sucking my thumb and rocking back and forth, just keep walking.... I'll bounce back eventually.

Sarah_Johnston
04-22-2009, 04:14 AM
I guess I don't belong here either. (That's why I posted) 4 for 4 and just waiting to see what happens next. Are the results coming out soon?

John, Honey, National is judging in June. So NO results are not coming out soon. LOL

Jeff- Take a breathe. Did something happen since last we spoke?

MB- Don't make me hurt you!! I will see you Monday. Good Luck at SEPPA. Please travel safe!

andiegoodman
04-22-2009, 06:13 AM
So with a heavy heart.....

I need to say....

That it is official. I have reached a point where I hate my print case, and am certain the prints will not even hang in the show, let alone be in the merit category.

Jeff

Yeah, right. It will probably be a 4 for 4.
Let's see how you do this weekend. Is Carole going to beat you?

D._Craig_Flory
04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Jeff;

First off ... your name came up during Keith and Holly's program. I think it was when the mountain lion and wolf images were showing and you were referenced as the bait. :p

I am going to talk about baseball and your print case. When baseball announcers talk about an opposing player being 0 for 30 Murphy's Law will come up and the guy will get a hit. If a guy has never hit a dinger and they bring it up he will invariably hit a homer. So ... I will say this. "Jeff has not had a blue ribbon, or merit in years". There, now you will go Loan 4 times !!! ;)

John_Metcalfe
04-22-2009, 03:19 PM
I can't say I know Jeff very well, but I know a card when I see one.

A keen eye, a quick wit. You'll be fine. Good thing also to have someone at your side keeping you on your toes.

See you in Nashville.

Are the results in yet? Ha!

Rick_Massarini
04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Jeff, if I remember correctly, your last "I hate my case" resulted in one General Collection, two Showcase Book prints and one Loan Collection... four for four and a Silver level PTY award...
....awwww..... poor little bunny...!!!!!

Personally, I love my case for this year - I have a couple of prints that are already sealed and two others that I have high hopes for - at least I didn't take them off the studio wall and send them in like I've done in the past...

mrbarton
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
How bad did you do cowboy? Just got back from SEPPA. The results from SEPPA are posted for anyone that wants to see them.

http://www.4seppa.com

Jeff_Dachowski
04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Michael,
Thanks for sharing that! There were three 100 prints there!! WOW!

Here is the skinny....

I entered all the categories-
Portrait- 78
Illustrative- 84
Wedding- 84
Commercial- 81
Wedding album-80

Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
So where are these prints, huh? We wanna see! Were any of a certain monument, hmm?

Yeah, I must admit I'm a little disappointed with my SEPPA results. I entered 4 prints that all merited at state (3x 83, and 82). 82 sealed at 80, but the rest (83's originally) dropped to 78, 78, 77.

John_Metcalfe
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Michael,
Thanks for sharing that! There were three 100 prints there!! WOW!

Here is the skinny....

I entered all the categories-
Portrait- 78
Illustrative- 84
Wedding- 84
Commercial- 81
Wedding album-80

Jeff

Somebody trying to win a Canon?

Jeff_Dachowski
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Somebody trying to win a Canon?
John,
If this were a regional you would be correct! This is a state level, so there is not all around award.

For the last two years, I have challenged myself to enter an image in all of our state categories. My goal was to elevate the weakest of my work at least up to a competition level, and to continue to enter images in those categories. I have gone six for six before, but the last two years in a row, I have not been able to merit in each category all in the same year. Maybe when I can go that I will come up with another challenge for me.

Jeff

John_Metcalfe
04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Okay, very KOOL... self enrichment and all stuff. You'll be better for it!

So you are saying this wasn't an affiliated judging? If not, do you already have your case ready for nationals? I always knew the east coast was a bit odd. My dad often reminded me not to try to understand you guys and not to expect them to understand you. HA!

I wonder how everyone else is fairing? Would it be rude to ask others of their scores or images?

Jeff_Dachowski
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi John,
I dont think it is rude at all. In the near future, I will post my images. Our regional was last sept, and I have two seals from that. I just need to take two prints from my NH comp and add it to my case and get them sent by friday.

Jeff

John_Metcalfe
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks Jeff! I'll take back all those things I said about you. Except for the nice ones of course... (JSYK they were all nice)

Since I asked, I think it is only fair I post my images. Just not sure where...

Here on this string or load them someplace different? Having your name on it Jeff more peeps will look. My name not so many...

mrbarton
04-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Congratulations Jeff!!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Let make it official...lets see your cases!! I am cool with it being in the I hate my case thread.
Jeff

mrbarton
04-28-2009, 03:13 AM
Jeff I'd love to post mine, but don't want to show anything until after nationals as for the way of prying eyes of wayward judges. I just heard a rumor about my SEPPA case that I would certainly like to confirm however. Ah, hijacking a thread, such an ourppa traditional. I shall not participate!!! This is about you. So which one's go to nationals? I have a lot respect for you and your work. It's not that you are rising to the surface so quickly it's how you are doing it. That is with integrity and a solid sense of purpose. That's very commendable and I dare say infectious. Very cool. Thanks for sharing with the class!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-28-2009, 04:07 AM
hi folks!

A couple of new developments have transpired this evening.

Here is what is going on:

2 Fuji Masterpiece awards
2 Kodak Gallery awards
1 Masters Court of Honor- Weddings

Pretty happy and excited!

Congrats to Marilyn Dillon, Shirl Passman,Don Chick and Ella Carlson.

I will let them tell you how they did!!!

Keith_A_Howe
04-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Uhm, I thought I would point this out before Jeff had a chance to mention it ( because I am sure he will find a way to bring it up!) - he got one more glass trophy then I did this year. . . and one of his highest scored prints was taken when I was standing right next to him and he didn't even have to lay down on his stomache tto get it. I guess now he will be selling fuzzy Keith feet on keychains.

Jeff, Tonight was just one more amazing time on top of all the amazing things that happened this last week. Thanks for letting us share this with you.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
04-28-2009, 05:56 AM
........ fuzzy Keith feet on keychains.
Keith

Fuzzy Keith Feet? ... hmmmm...didn't know your feet were fuzzy... but I think that nickname's already been taken...

Sorry 'bout the hijack, Jeff, but I just couldn't resist - been in a PPLA Board meeting all day long, so I needed a little distraction...

Anyhoo - Congratulations on taking home all that glass !!!!!!! Well done dude !!!

Andrea_Chapelo
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok guys, Jeff told us, now the rest of you need to chime in...I am dying here since I had to miss the fun this year! I want to see images!!! Take pity on your wanna be NH member:)

D._Craig_Flory
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I am going to make a prediction. Every year Jeff bemoans about how awful his case is and every year that equates into merits and all kinds of awards and more. So, I think we are going to start seeing a lot of people doing the same kind of sob story for good luck. :p

ChrisGrandell
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
My name is Chris, and I hate my case...

John_Metcalfe
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Power and Glory - 95
Strung Out - 92
Smoke Break - 86
Killing Time - 96

Illinois Photog of the Year
MARC Top Ten (Jim Wyant got me by 3 points) Congrats Jim!

It was a strong group. Just to show ya how tough, I didn't score any other awards. Not that I really expected them... My images do well on score, but not prize. Though full of impact before the judges , they don't match up head to head with the beautiful images.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I love the fireman shot!