PDA

View Full Version : Competition Print Vendors

sbourne
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi haven't entered a competition in a long time. Can anyone recommend printing vendors who are familiar with PPA rules and can make a reliable competition print that satisfies the rules and looks good? Sorry if this an inappropriate question or it's in the wrong place. First post to the forum.

Thanks

mrbarton
04-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I recommend ACI Fuji F Surface paper. Great stuff. No bias on my part. . . Ha. Great stuff. It's been scoring well. acilab.com

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi haven't entered a competition in a long time. Can anyone recommend printing vendors who are familiar with PPA rules and can make a reliable competition print that satisfies the rules and looks good? Sorry if this an inappropriate question or it's in the wrong place. First post to the forum.

Thanks

Hi Scott;

If you are good with Photoshop, and your monitor is calibrated to your lab, it should not matter what lab you use. No longer do we need to pay for custom prints. The only thing I would worry about is that they have glossy paper, hi-gloss spray, and gatorfoam. You also need to make sure they print full bleed and mount well.

Betsy_Finn
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I use JD Photo Imaging (http://jdphotoimaging.com or read my blog post on them (http://learnwithbetsy.com/blog/2009/jd-photo-imaging)).

While it's true that it shouldn't matter where you get them printed, I honestly don't want to deal with adjusting the print for competition lighting (which is brighter than "typical" print viewing conditions. I just upload the file through ROES, say "print for PPA print comp" -- and they take care of the rest... including making sure the highlights won't be blown out under competition lighting (most labs who offer competition printing should do the same). While they're located here in MI -- JD prints for photo studios throughout the US + Canada.

JD Photo uses a mounting process that keeps the mounted prints from warping or bowing (and issue I saw with my previous lab's comp prints). Ask for Julie or Tom when you call, they'll be happy to help answer questions.

Stan_Lawrence
04-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Although I no longer compete, my lab, Delano Color, does do comp prints. Considering the quality I get in my wall decor from them, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for comp prints.....:cool: