PDA

View Full Version : Competition Images for Comment

Bob_Lotz
04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Edit 9:12 pm EDT

The photos have been removed to avoid further risk of a judge for the NHPPA print competition accidentally seeing them. Although I was able to change the title within this first post within the thread, I was unable to change the thread title to give fair warning.
To all who read this - I apologize for taking your time in reading this explanation and having no image to view.)
--------------
Earlier Post
Hello,

It's great to read the helpful comments made to others. I've learned a lot (I hope!) from reading them. I'm about to enter my first competition and would appreciate input on these two images.

Many thanks,

Bob Lotz

------------------
http://boblotz.smugmug.com/photos/513438379_WYmWt-S.jpg

DianeDavis
04-15-2009, 07:59 AM
I find them facinating. In my unworthy opinion, I think they should do well.

Bob_Lotz
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Diane,

I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment.

Picking up on your comment and one by D. Craig Flory on another thread, I've re-named the images with the intent to elicit stronger emotional connections.

Best,

Bob

D._Craig_Flory
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Bob;

I love the science fiction looking image of Chi-Town ! I would move the subject layer up and to the right so it is more on the 3rd quadrant. I would also tone down a good bit the bright area of the fence. It's competing with the main subject.

On the other one ... I can see that you lightened her face. However, the background is not even & it is noticeable. I would make then subject layer smaller and put her more on the 4th quadrant. An idea might be selective color ... all black and white except for her.

Bob_Lotz
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Craig,

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions.

(My comments about images removed - see following two posts for reason)

And the other ideas will be interesting to try and see how they work out.

With appreciation,
Bob

Jeff_Dachowski
04-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi Bob,
Just a quick comment that you should mention which comp you are entering in so that potential judges wont look at your entries. Keith frequents this board, and he and Holly are both judging our state comp this year. When they see your images, they must DQ themselves from judging it, and in doing so, you might have dq'd the judge who would have fought for your print.

Jeff

Bob_Lotz
04-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Jeff,
Thanks. I hope it's not too late. I added "New Hampshire" before Competition in the title in the first post within the thread. But I was unable to change the actual thread title, and so the vulnerability remains. I will remove the photos-Bob

BCostanzo
04-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Hello Bob
I personally feel that your title for the woman just doesn't do the print justice. Something like "tradition" would be more appealing and and create interest for the judges. Try cropping the print with just the woman's hands in it and see if you like it better. As a judge I do.

Bob_Lotz
04-16-2009, 02:24 AM
Bonnie,
Thank you very much. I filled several pages with possible titles before picking this one, and I was very much hoping to get feedback on the titles from those commenting. I see your point on that and on the crop.
-Bob

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Hello Bob
I personally feel that your title for the woman just doesn't do the print justice. Something like "tradition" would be more appealing and and create interest for the judges. Try cropping the print with just the woman's hands in it and see if you like it better. As a judge I do.

Hi Bonnie;

Welcome to the Forum. It is nice to see you here. So, when will Jerry make an appearance ? See you both at the Pa. Convention.