PDA

View Full Version : cpp test - help

mebortz
04-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I did not pass the cpp test and was wondering if anyone could help with some questions.

1. Your customer wants to to emphasize his long neck. How would you photograph him? A. Shoot from a high angle .B.Turn his body away from the main light or C. turn his head to the high shoulder and D. can't recall. I answered it A. Is this right?

mebortz
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I reworded it wrong. He does not want his neck emphasized in the portrait. How would you photograph him.

If anyone has taken the test and passed please help me out. I will be adding more questions I got stumped on. Appreciate it. It's all about teaching and learning from each other.

Ron_Jackson
04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I haven't taken the test so I will be curious what someone who has says. However, my answer would be C, turn his head to the high shoulder. Shooting from a high angle would work of course but it would make the rest of the portrait look odd.

mebortz
04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I had trouble answering some filter questions on the CPP Test last weekend. Can anyone help?

The lighting in a conference room is typical flourescent tube. The flash is color balanced to match the ambient light. What filter should be used to color correct the image or what filter should be added to the flash?

Does a light blue(82A filter) remove early morning glow or late evening glow?

Really want to pass this test next time. Appreciate any help?

mebortz
04-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Hello:

I think I answered the Infrared question wrong on the cpp test last weekend. Infared absorbs what colors?

How would you pose/light a family(later afternoon?) on a beach for a portrait? A. face them into the sun. B. backlit with a side reflector C? or D? Does anyone remember C and D answers. I think B for now.

Thank You.

mebortz
04-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Your taking a picture of someone in the shade and they have shady(sun)spots on their face, what would you do? A. Gogo from above, B. gold refector under the chin. C? And D? Does anyone know the other 2 answers to help me out.. I personally would of not have photographed there and found somewhere else to go. Or I would use the white(scrim) reflector to help get rid of the spots but that was not one of the answers.

I need to be in a study group? Does anyone have one that could help?

mebortz
04-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Can someone explain the differene between passive and auto focus & beam of light?

Which light modifier would accent speculuar highlights on wet skin?

Color reversal film? Does anyone remember the question and answer to this?

Thanks.

Rick_Massarini
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
...He does not want his neck emphasized in the portrait. How would you photograph him.

I haven't taken the test so I will be curious what someone who has says. However, my answer would be C, turn his head to the high shoulder. Shooting from a high angle would work of course but it would make the rest of the portrait look odd.

I would have to differ with that opinion. If you tilt the head towards the high shoulder the effect would be to stretch the neck and and accentuate it making it look longer (as is done with glamour images to make a young lady's neck look longer and more feminine). Tilting the head towards the low shoulder would have the effect of compressing the neck and making it look shorter, thus de-emphasizing it (as is typically done with male subjects to give them a stockier more masculine look).

Betsy_Finn
04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I've merged a few threads with different questions Mary had on the CPP exam. Hopefully we can get some good helpful discussion going for her in one place!

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Your taking a picture of someone in the shade and they have shady(sun)spots on their face, what would you do? A. Gogo from above, B. gold refector under the chin. C? And D? Does anyone know the other 2 answers to help me out.. I personally would of not have photographed there and found somewhere else to go. Or I would use the white(scrim) reflector to help get rid of the spots but that was not one of the answers.

A. Gobo from above.

Which light modifier would accent speculuar highlights on wet skin?

Silver reflector maybe?

mebortz
05-10-2009, 02:50 AM
I guess I am on my own for the next test. I thought this forum was all about helping.

Mark_Turner
05-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Mary, I'd suggest, from the questions you have posted that you are not ready for this test. Have you got the London-Upton book to study? Have you taken the practice tests available, and researched the answers to those?

I don't think you are well served on a forum if people give you the answers. We could have a discussion on them, but when you get different opinions which do you choose? The test is looking for a specific answer.

I'll take some time tomorrow and give you what I think and why, but I haven't taken the test. I think I know what I'm doing, but I don't have the "CPP" to prove it. It's on the list of stuff to do...one day.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
05-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I agree with Mark.

I just took the test a few weeks ago, after 4 months of study and preparation. You will not be well served by folks here feeding you the answers. You must understand the concepts and how to apply them to any situation.

A thorough knowledge and understanding of light modifiers will give you the understanding of what to use so highlight wet skin and a thorough understanding of posing will help answer your question about the neck issue.

The London & Upton "Photogrraphy" book will be a valuable resource for your test preparation, as will the "Body Parts" book (for posing).

If you passed the test knowing the test answers only because other folks fed you the correct answer without you having to understand the underlying principle renders the CPP test passing a farce and lessens the value of having done so for the rest of the folks who passed it on their own merit.

Not understanding the basic concepts will work against you when you prepare your 20 images for the image submission.

KirkDarling
05-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Mary,

You're not going to get exactly the same test the next time. Getting the answers to specific questions won't help--you've got to learn the underlying principles.

What others are saying about doing the basic study is correct. If you have questions about understanding what you're studying, we can help you better.