PDA

View Full Version : Studio Portrait Lighting Classes_Don Chick

Don_Chick
03-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Don is pleased to announce that he will be teaching a 3-day Studio Portrait Lighting bootcamp this June at KAPA (Kentucky Academy of Photographic Arts) in Bowling Green, KY on June 24 - 26, 2009. This will be an intensive and hands-on studio portrait lighting class. Registrations will be handled through KAPA and class size will be limited. (Hint, Hint...sign up EARLY!). For those of you unfamiliar with KAPA, please check out their website at http://www.kapaclasses.com . Don is also working on the PPA merit for this class.

Here are some Don Chick Studio Portrait Lighting class locations coming up this summer. These will all be day long classes, will include a PPA Service Merit (for PPA Members) and will be $149 (with advance registration). Cumming, GA June 19, 2009; Duluth, GA June 20, 2009 (These two will be two different classes and not a repeat of the same as they are so near in proximity to each other.); Wheeling, WV June 22, 2009; Peoria, IL June 29, 2009; Wichita, KS July 6, 2009.

Don is also looking for a studio in the following areas to host a class on June 13, 2009: Montgomery, AL or Birmingham AL or Spartanburg, SC or Augusta, GA areas. Also in the Dayton, OH area on July 13, 2009. If you are interested in doing this or know someone who is, PLEASE contact Don or Sandy at info@chickphotography.net.

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Don forgot to add his class in Alexandria VA on April 18th of THIS MONTH. Only very few spots are available. Please email me right away if you're interested in coming!

Don_Chick
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! Don will be teaching a class at Stephanie Millner's studio in Alexandria, VA on APRIL 18, 2009 which is actually only a few weeks away. Like Stephanie said, if you plan on coming please sign up NOW at http://www.donchick.com/store/store.html The early bird pricing expires at midnight tomorrow!

We all hope to see you there.

(Stephanie...please accept my most humble apologies for this omission.)

Stephanie_Millner
03-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, it's in Alexandria, but might not actually be HERE in my studio. Depends on the amount of people who sign up.

Humblest apologies accepted, Don. :)

Stephanie_Millner
04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
For those of you didn't come see Don on Saturday... nah-nah. You missed out!!!

His class was FABULOUS! Highly recommend if you can convince him to come to your place and teach... DO IT! Bribe him if necessary.

Thank you, Don, for coming here. The learning experience has been unparalleled! You all NEED to see Don in action! He even took great photographs of ME! I hate having my photo done... it's why I'm on the other side of the lens.

Thanks so much. I hope everyone takes the opportunity when they can get it!

Andrea_Chapelo
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Don u are gonna come to Dayton?!:D

Don_Chick
04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello Andrea,

I would love to come to Dayton! Let's get a date on the calendar.

Linda_Gregory
04-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Don is coming to Wichita!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

It would TOTALLY worth the drive for anyone within driving distance. If you have doubts about our fair city, ask Jeff Dachowski who toyed with the idea of moving here...albeit in theory only but found a community that surprised him.

If you DON'T make it to one of his classes, YOUR loss. Ooh. Was that nasty? Didn't mean to be but honestly, I've seen the switcheroo on abilities from those who have taken his class and this guy can TEACH!

Don_Chick
04-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Don is coming to Wichita!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

It would TOTALLY worth the drive for anyone within driving distance. If you have doubts about our fair city, ask Jeff Dachowski who toyed with the idea of moving here...albeit in theory only but found a community that surprised him.

If you DON'T make it to one of his classes, YOUR loss. Ooh. Was that nasty? Didn't mean to be but honestly, I've seen the switcheroo on abilities from those who have taken his class and this guy can TEACH!

Linda, Thank you! I am looking forward to being there. Actually it's not that far away (in time)!

Julie_Poole
05-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Are the GA ones filled yet?

Heather_L._Smith
05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Julie - The first one is being held at my studio, and we're not that far from Knoxville. We'd love to see you down here! That's funny - I'm actually going to be in Knoxville speaking at your local affiliate the week before!

Julie_Poole
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
That's awesome! I am a member of PPETN, so, I'll see you there. I may be only able to do one day, so, the first one may be the one. What are the topics of each of the days? (besides studio lighting :) )

Chris_Leiter
05-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Don,

I'm interested in one of your In the Beginning Classes. Can you give me a line up of when/where your next several will be? (I have to work around Chemo treatments!)

Thanks,
Chris

Don_Chick
05-26-2009, 08:20 PM
My next class will be in Kentucky at KAPAClasses.com (http://kapaclasses.com/don_chick_09.htm)
This will be a 3 day class taking you from the basics of light, lighting and learning to see to creating a beautiful studio portrait. We'll look at studio lighting from 1 light (and reflectors) up to 6 lights. Plus a lot more.

These 3 days will energize your studio portrait photography!

mccall
05-27-2009, 02:58 AM
If this dayton deal takes place i can attend that one. I will watch the threads to see for sure.

dsilbert
06-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Anything come up on the east coast; north of GA and south of NY?

Don_Chick
06-23-2009, 02:06 AM
I am not able to do the classes as scheduled this summer.. :(

The closest scheduled (and under contract) is in January, I am doing a pre-Convention program at Imaging in January and the PPofPA Convention next April.

This link has the instructors and times www.imagingusa.org/pdfs/2010_iusa_precon_classes.pdf

Angela_Lawson
06-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Don,

Just saw this post. Hope everything is okay?!

Angela

Don_Chick
06-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Angela,

Thank you for your concern. Everything is all-right. There wasn't enough response to enable me to leave the studio for an extended time this summer. I just had to stay put and focus on my portrait business.

Next year, should things come around, I may try again.

Don_Chick
06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
You can check out my latest article for PPmag.com at...

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2009/06/review-sigma-18-250mm-f35-63-d.html

Angela_Lawson
06-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm glad to here that everything is okay. After having gone thru back surgery this year, and it looks like another one in a couple of months, I know what it's like to be away from the business for extended periods of time, so I fully understand. I'm just hoping to be able to keep the business afloat until I've recovered from the next surgery (probably this fall) by pushing it as much as possible this summer. And I'm praying that surgery won't interfere with IUSA this year, like it did last year. I'm hoping to make your pre-convention program if I am mobile enough.

Again, glad that you are okay!
Angela

Julie_Poole
07-07-2009, 01:13 PM
OK Don, I was going to take your class down south here! I light like crap and can't seem to make it click. My lighting is boring and dull and I hate it. I can't seem to feather properly and no amount of explaining over the internet or in books is making it work for me

I need someone to SHOW me. I am technically minded, I learn fast but, I have some weird learning disability with studio lights. It is really irritating me. Pets I can light. People, well, I suck.

Come back South. Maybe you could speak at our PPA chapter and do a seminar at my studio. That would work ;)