PDA

View Full Version : Prints for PPA Comp

MarilynDillon
03-25-2009, 01:43 AM
I am going to send my first case ever off to PPA. I have one Seal from Regional - yay. My question is: In looking over the prints from regional I noticed they have some dings and a scratch here and there. Is it ok to send prints off to PPA with some slight damage from previous competitions? or, do you reprint? Thanks.

Heather_L._Smith
03-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Hey, Marilyn! Congrats!! Well, it's kinda your call, depending on how bad they are. Just for clarification, the image with the seal on it can't be reprinted - you've got to send that print in (that's why it's sealed!). The only exception would be if it were destroyed (let's say by water damage, for example), in which case you'd send the damaged one (with the seal) and an exact reprint in together.

For the others, it's really a personal call. There is often minor damage to prints (sometimes more than minor), just from the shipping and the tremendous amount of handling that they receive, so they aren't necessarily going to be judged differently. However, I'm paranoid, so if they were damaged from a previous competition, I'd reprint to give them every chance possible to look their absolute very best.

But, that's just me :)

Rick_Massarini
03-25-2009, 10:38 AM
I am going to send my first case ever off to PPA. I have one Seal from Regional - yay. My question is: In looking over the prints from regional I noticed they have some dings and a scratch here and there. Is it ok to send prints off to PPA with some slight damage from previous competitions? or, do you reprint? Thanks.

If the print that has the dings and scratches is the one that was sealed at a PPA affiliated regional judging, you must send the exact same print that bears the seal to the International Judging if you wish to have it automatically accepted for merit. If you reprint a sealed entry, the reprint is no longer sealed - only the original print is sealed and will be automatically accepted for exhibition !

The PEC jurors have been trained to understand that the prints that they are seeing have been through print competitions before coming to the national judging. In most cases, unless it is obvious that it is a mounting issue, the jurors will take into consideration that the print has been to a state and regional competition before being sent to the international judging, and unless it is obvious poor mounting, they will take that into consideration and judge the image on the strength of the print and not on any damage it may have received in transit.

Just remember - if it sealed, send the sealed print to the International Judging. If you reprint the image, you no longer have a sealed entry.

Keith_A_Howe
03-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Just remember - if it sealed, send the sealed print to the International Judging. If you reprint the image, you no longer have a sealed entry.

Except in instances like Heather mentioned (were you thinking of my print last year Heather?) where the print is damaged extensively. My print was setting on the floor and we had a water leak. As it was printed on watercolor paper it was totally trashed. I contacted Jim Dingwell about it and was told to send the original damaged print along with a reprinted identical one and a letter of explanation. Rick is right that it was no longer a "sealed " entry but I was given the courtesy from PEC of accepting the identical image in it's place.

MarilynDillon
03-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks! So, the sealed one (which has a scratch on it - but not too bad) will go off as is. Good to know.