PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Craftsman Degree

MarisaPitts
03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
What effect has having you Photographic Craftsman degree had on your business and how are you marketing yourself.

D._Craig_Flory
03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
For me, I got a lot out of the journey. In the 3 years it took me to get Craftsman I had to teach myself a lot. I chose to teach Adobe Photoshop. Each time I was asked to teach I taught myself a lot of new techniques & features. So, I was teaching but also learning at the same time. I got Craftsman in 2006 and still have a lot of people contact me about the program.

I put the Craftsman logo on everything. My Degree certificate is matted and framed and on the wall behind me when I do consultations.

Karen_Linsley
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I have 19 service merits and 9 speaker merits. Do I qualify to apply for a Craftsman degree?

Keith_A_Howe
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Karen, To get the Craftsman degree at least 13 must be speaking merits, so you need 4 more speaking merits to qualify. But then all the leftover service merits can start adding up to your Master's.

Karen_Linsley
03-26-2009, 06:50 AM
thanks Keith! Guess I better schedule a couple more Super Mondays!

Keith_A_Howe
03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
thanks Keith! Guess I better schedule a couple more Super Mondays!

Good idea! And then we can all clap for you as you walk across the stage at IUSA next January.

D._Craig_Flory
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi Karen;

We all want to have to make you work ... to re-do your signature on here and add Cr.Photog. after your name. You won't mind having to re-do it will you ? ;)

For me ... all it took was a friend putting out the word that I wanted speaking gigs & I had a bunch of places lined up.

Jackie_Haggerty
03-28-2009, 03:42 AM
Marisa,

It's about the journey and how you take it!

This past January, I earned my Craftsman degree. The whole time I was working on it, it was known among my clients, as we often would post on our blog, the speaking schedule and talk about it. For them, to know that I was traveling around the country speaking about photography to various group put my business and knowledge at a place different than those around me. As I continue to speak, I continue to share what is going on. It's a big deal to my clients, and to me!

andiegoodman
03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Marissa, I agree with Jackie - it IS about the journey. My programs have been on business and it is really amazing how many people do not know what they are really making. It is, and has been, very rewarding to help people see how much they can improve their bottom line.

I truly enjoy helping people improve, whether it is business or images and now that I am only 3 merits away from my Masters, I hope to be able to reach that goal at this year's judging.

These were personal goals for me to see how to improve my own photography as well as help others. It has been a wonderful time.

bob_hancock
04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Received Craftsman degree in 2008.

I am proud to have received the degree. Never received any compensation wile earning my degree.

It fulfills the last two paragraph of PPA code of Ethics.

#4. In all dealings with fellow Professional Photographers,students and others who aspire to be professional photographers,I shall share the knowledge and skill of Professional Photography. #5. Support efforts for and assist in the education of all interested persons and the general public in the art and science of processional photography.

LianaBanana
05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Some of you may be able to answer this - is there a particular department that handles these degrees?

I just looked up my merits and I have 15 speaking merits (actually should be 17 but one of the state PPA conventions are not listed on there - though I do have the paper certificate) and also have 18 service merits. This should qualify me for Craftsman Degree, correct?

I'm wondering if the application or something got lost in the mail or mixed up with my name change (got married last year).

Thanks for any guidance!

Keith_A_Howe
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes you have enough, but as the degrees won't be confered till IUSA next January you won't be contacted until probably October or November. If you want confirmation call PPA and ask for the merits and degrees coordinator.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
05-28-2010, 06:32 PM
(actually should be 17 but one of the state PPA conventions are not listed on there - though I do have the paper certificate)

When was the PA event? I suspect if you have the paper merit though that means it was ordered from PPA and the mix up is probably at PPA not in PA. If it's only been a couple weeks, then give it another week or two and then call PPA and ask for the merits and degrees coordinator. The other thing is you can only get a certain number of speaking merits from any one association in a year. So if you gave more then one program in PA in the same year, you might not have been eligible for speaking merits the second time around.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
05-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Congrats, Liana! Where in Hotlanta are you? I'm up north in Forsyth County :)

LianaBanana
05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
When was the PA event? I suspect if you have the paper merit though that means it was ordered from PPA and the mix up is probably at PPA not in PA. If it's only been a couple weeks, then give it another week or two and then call PPA and ask for the merits and degrees coordinator. The other thing is you can only get a certain number of speaking merits from any one association in a year. So if you gave more then one program in PA in the same year, you might not have been eligible for speaking merits the second time around.

Keith

Thanks Keith for the info!!

I actually had most of these since 2007/2008 so I'm not sure why I was not contacted back then? I got married in 2009 and my last name changed, but not my address so I would have still received stuff in the mail but I honestly do not remember anything ever coming.

Here's what I have (or should have) for speaking/authoring:

1/16/07 - Imaging USA Speaker - 5 merits
6/27/07 - Chicks that Click Speaker - 5 merits
10/9/07 - PPA SC Conference Speaker - 2 merits
12/1/07 - Article Professional Photographer Magazine - 1 merit
2/5/08 - PPA Michigan Speaker - 2 merits

1/20/08 - PPA Nebraska Speaker - should have merits for this but I don't see any listed. I have my speakers contract and the wooden plaque in the shape of Nebraska, but no merits shown on my merits page. I think I have the certificate around here somewhere too. I remember this one quite clearly. On 1/19 we had a flight canceled an the entire ATL/SE area airports shut down for a snow storm. We rented a car and drove 20+ hours to get from Atlanta to Nebraska in time for me to speak, no only 1-3 hr sleep. I was very grateful for a friend there to help me drive through the snow all day Saturday. We only had 25 hrs or so to get there and the drive was about 20 hrs in the snow.

Then I've got the various 18 service merits.

I suppose there is some confusion on my account due to my name change perhaps I'll just call next week and find out. They're supposed to consolidating my accounts right now (so my maiden name PPA stuff goes with my PPA records since I got married).

I honestly never paid much attention to the merit part of all this until this year - I just spoke where called to. Now there's so many photographers coming into the market - it makes sense to pursue these degrees to set yourself apart.

Thanks for your help!!

LianaBanana
05-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Congrats, Liana! Where in Hotlanta are you? I'm up north in Forsyth County :)

Thanks Heather! I'm in Cobb County - used to be right in Buckhead but it's nice being out of the traffic a bit now!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I have to admit I'm a tad discouraged lately because although I have enough speaking engagements to earn my merits, I always seem to have a problem actually getting the merits! I always ask for them up front and remind them about my ppa # just prior to the event, but so many of the guilds simply don't request them in time... It's driving me crazy because I've gotten in my car and driven up to 7 hours for one engagement and still haven't gotten that merit! I've actually considered giving up on the whole thing because there's really no recourse to get the merits that I've already worked for or at least it's my understanding that speakers are really at the mercy of the guilds...

Christine_Walsh-Newton
05-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Cindi - Thank you for bringing this up. I just did my first speaking engagement last week. My merits for that were showing on my record when I checked 2 days later, which was amazing to me. Since it seems that other groups may not request the merit in such a timely manner - I would like to know how this whole "request a merit" thing works so that I may keep abreast of what should be happening within what timeline.

I have just enough engagements scheduled this year to earn my Craftsman and have it awarded in Jan 2011. I would surely hate for one group to hold that up.

Can you or anyone explain how this process works?

Thank you.

Rick_Massarini
05-31-2010, 01:31 AM
There's no big secret to how requesting a merit works. The association manager fills in a form and sends it to PPA. PPA will check the group's merit allocation to assure that they have the merits to give, then PPA Headquarters issues the merit. Some associations order the merits in advance of the program and have the certificates on hand to award at the conclusion of the program. Some associations request the merit after the program has been presented in which case PPA will credit the merit to the members account and mail them the certificate.

Also be aware that just because you have not received a merit certificate, it does not mean that you did not receive the merit. I have some service merits (from the PPA-PEC for working at the national judging) credited to my account that I have never received the certificates for (maybe they just got lost in the paper shuffle or lost in the mail) - but the merits were credited to me on my merit report, so I did get the merits.

Cindi - you may want to check your merit report to see if they were credited to your merit record - you may have the merit and just be missing the paper certificate.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
05-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I have never received a paper certificate for any merits I've earned. I heard recently that the PPA was discontinuing issuing paper certificates. (Just photographer gossip - nothing official.)

How does one get the paper certificates and is that important to have?

Keith_A_Howe
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Nobody has ever asked me to see my paper merits. The only thing I ever use the paper ones for is to copy and send to my state fellowship chairman so I get my state credits towards my state degrees. The only time a paper merit might be important is if you have one but it never shows up on PPA records.

As far as not getting merits from different associations that promised them. I assume you have a contract with the association? It should state in the contract how many merits you should get. It's not a great idea to speak without a contract. If you have sponsorship, they will want a copy of the contract for verification. If you don't get your merit from the association get on the phone and call them once a week until you do get it. That's not harrasment, that's making them do what they have promised in your contract.

I do know that sometimes I get a paper merit and sometimes I don't. I am not sure what the difference is, except it seems like if PPA is giving you the merits directly ( like from national comp, working print crew at national judging etc etc) you don't get the paper copy, it just shows up on your record. If you are getting a merit from an affiliate association ( speaking for them, being a state or local president) then PPA sends them a paper merit to present to you. Not sure if this is right but that's what it seems like to me.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
If you don't get your merit from the association get on the phone and call them once a week until you do get it. That's not harrasment, that's making them do what they have promised in your contract.

I've had to do this in the past. Kind of a pain, but sometimes necessary. Keep in mind that these associations, especially if you're speaking for a small guild, are all operated by volunteers, and sometimes some folks bite off more than they can chew :)

I'm not saying it's right, just saying it's not uncommon. I haven't had issues like that at state or regional levels, only with the small guilds. If they don't get it done, become the squeaky wheel. One set of merits took me 4 months to receive - and that was after lots of emails and phone calls. And, as a side note, PPA national can't really do anything to help in that situation - it's between you and the guild.

Cindi_Delaney
06-01-2010, 12:42 AM
For speaking gigs to count, do they have to be to other photographers?
Like in October I'm speaking to our local artists association about copyright.
Would things like that count?

Missy50
06-01-2010, 01:11 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

Rick_Massarini
06-01-2010, 01:54 AM
For speaking gigs to count, do they have to be to other photographers?
Like in October I'm speaking to our local artists association about copyright.
Would things like that count?

The only way that you can receive a merit is to do a program for a PPA affiliated organization or for an event that is sponsored by a PPA affiliate. Your local artists association is probably not a PPA affiliate. The PPA affiliate organization has to send in the merit request to PPA in order for you to receive a merit for speaking before their group.

Cindi_Delaney
06-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks Rick.

Missy50
06-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks Rick. I thought I had read that some where.

Jeff_Dachowski
06-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Keep in mind as well that you local affiliate is limited to the amount of merits they recieve from PPA per year. It is proportional to the amount of PPA members that are in your local affiliate to some degree.
Jeff

Joe_Campanellie
06-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Unless it's for the convention. Unless things have changed you can get as many merits as you need if it's for your convention.

But...it's been a long time since I chaired a convention. I know it worked like Jeff stated for our monthly events but I thought convention was different.

Jeff_Dachowski
06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Unless it's for the convention. Unless things have changed you can get as many merits as you need if it's for your convention.

But...it's been a long time since I chaired a convention. I know it worked like Jeff stated for our monthly events but I thought convention was different.

Joe,
Conventions are unlimited in the sense that they dont count against your allocation. I did not bring that up so as to not confuse anyone!!

Rick_Massarini
06-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Yes, for an annual convention by a state affiliate, the merits are basically unlimited and do not count against your yearly merit allocation. But some local affiliates, like guilds, don't have annual conventions, so for those groups, they have to operate on their yearly allotment of merits based on their membership numbers...

Christel
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
To clarify ways in which one can receive merits:

For PPA members who participate (speak or volunteer) at a state annual convention, a PPA member can receive a maximum of four merits per person, per annual meeting for non-state members and a maximum of two merits in any one calendar year to a member of the state issuing merits.

While the state affiliate does not use their allotment for annual conventions, there are PPA by-law rules governing the number of merits that a PPA member can receive at an annual convention.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Cheers,
Christel