PDA

View Full Version : CC for comp please

AmyElliott
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I entered this last year at WPPI and I was happy with the score, however I am aware that the WPPI scores differ from PPA. I would love some thoughts on this. Although it is my first time entering PPA comp I am still looking for above 80 for my prints.

Thanks
Amy

Keith_A_Howe
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Amy
This would be alot easier if you could post the images larger (see the sticky thread at the top of the Print competition catagory)
I will do my best on this small image.
You have a nice story of the flower girl looking at the brides dress - good directional light etc. The issues that I see are her face is turned away from camera and her position makes her hair and face tend to blend into the door frame making the viewer see it as a story of the dresses. Then the framework around each window in the doors distract as well (the viewers eye will naturally go to the points of the most contrast). Suggestions to improve would have been to fully open the french doors, change camera angle a bit and move the flower girl to seperate from the door frame. I feel this would have brought the story back to about her (primary subject) looking at the dress (secondary subject) with less distractions.

You have an excellant eye for seeing the directional lighting of the situation and using it. Good job!
Keith
Keith

AmyElliott
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
http://impressionstudio.biz/gallery/albums/wpw-20090319/competition_test_2.jpg

hmm lets see if this works...

AmyElliott
03-19-2009, 04:11 PM
THanks Keith.

D._Craig_Flory
03-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Amy;

I see an image screaming to be flipped. That way, she is not so close to the left side. Plus, it appears the light is coming from the left.

The subject layer is very big in the presentation. I see it a good bit smaller and putting her on the 3rd quadrant. Here is how I envision it. (I gave it a title of "I Want To Help" as if the bridesmaids are not letting her in the room. I think you need a good descriptive title.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/IWantToHelp.jpg

AmyElliott
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks,
I need to start looking at things differently I think...since almost every photo I post you flip:) I like this one flipped, how do I train my eyes to see these things? I feel like I did when I started studying with Monte Zucker. Everything was over my head and I was never going to get it:)

Keith_A_Howe
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Amy you will get there. That is why competition helps so many people become better photographers, it makes you think about leading lines, light direction, composition, impact etc when you are working on your competition images. They those thoughts start going though your mind while you are photographing and eventually they are in your subconscious and you find they are being applied to most of your images.
Sorry I'll get off my soap box now.
Good Luck Keith