PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about regional competition.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I understand that I may submit to a regional competition, get a seal there and then submit to the international competition in order to have the seal become a merit.

I'm from Ohio, so my regional is Mid-East. However, when I go to the MESPPA website, it says...

The Mid-East States Professional Photographers Association comprises the members of KPPA, PPM, PPO, PPA of PA and PPWV.

I am not a member of PPO.

Am I required to be a member of a state PPA as well as THE PPA in order to compete on a regional level?

Sarah_Johnston
03-19-2009, 12:25 AM
No you are not required to be a member, how ever the case fee may be higher because you are not. Each region sets that themselves. Look over the rules and registration form. See if there is case fees listed. Member and non member.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
03-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I did check the rules - the fee is $95 per case for MESPP members and $295 for cases from members of other regions, hence my confusion.

Sarah_Johnston
03-19-2009, 03:15 AM
I did check the rules - the fee is $95 per case for MESPP members and $295 for cases from members of other regions, hence my confusion.

Somewhere they should have contact info. Call the print chairman and ask. If you can not find any contact info let me know. I know a couple of people out that way and might be able to hook you up with someone.

Sarah_Johnston
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Okay Christine. I did a bit of research and MESPPA had their regional for the year already. It was help in Kentucky. So if you have your heart set on a region this year you will need to go outside of your region. Marc is this weekend so that is out. Western States is in 2 weeks and Northern Lights is mid April. I am not sure when SEPPA is and I think SWPPA is also April.
Hope that helps. Let me know if I can do anything else for you!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
03-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your help Sarah. I have written the MESPPA folks and asked for clarification.

No, I don't have my heart set on a regional this year - I knew I was too late for MESPPA - just wanted to be ready for next time.

I also wrote the PPO folks - their membership application requires 2 PPO member sponsors and I don't know any PPO members, which is why I haven't joined before this. I wrote them this morning and asked what I should do to become a member if I didn't know anyone to sign-off on my application.

Hopefully, I can get into the regional competition next year.

D._Craig_Flory
03-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi Christine;

Keep this in mind. Once you pick a regional, you stay with that regional. Our Regional for Pa. is Mid-East. But, I have friends who live in northwestern Pa. and they enter the New York Regional.

Betsy_Finn
03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I understand that I may submit to a regional competition, get a seal there and then submit to the international competition in order to have the seal become a merit.

I'm from Ohio, so my regional is Mid-East. However, when I go to the MESPPA website, it says...

The Mid-East States Professional Photographers Association comprises the members of KPPA, PPM, PPO, PPA of PA and PPWV.

I am not a member of PPO.

Am I required to be a member of a state PPA as well as THE PPA in order to compete on a regional level?

MESPPA is comprised of several states: Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia. In order to compete at the MESPPA regional and get the member rate, you just need to belong to one of these state PPA groups. That gets you the MESPPA member rate.

If you're not a member of any of those state PPA groups -- then you pay the other rate. Doesn't matter whether you're a PPA member, other State PPA member, or what. If you're not one of the MESPPA affiliate states... you pay this rate.

MESPPA's primary function is to manage the regional print competition, but there's also another benefit of belonging to a state affiliate in the region: you get a "regional pass" (http://mesppa.com/regionalpass/rgionalpass.htm) which allows you to attend events at the other states for a very good rate.

Also, you DO NOT have to belong to PPA national to enter regional print competition. If you want the ability to enter your prints at national and have any merit seals from MESPPA become merits -- then you'll need to be a PPA member.