PDA

View Full Version : Too bad . . .

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I didn't pass.
For those that are curious--
I received comments on 7 images, 5 to do with lighting, 2 mentioned composition. One of those comments is on a full frame image that I can't make fit the criteria the judge wanted. The composition comments are choices I would not have naturally made. Of the ones that received lighting comments, 3 were taken using no lights or reflectors, and 2 were using lighting equipment. I only submitted 4 images that used studio lights. All others used nothing at all other than natural light, but my studio has remarkable natural light due to 10 ft tall north windows and white walls, ceiling and floor. When I shoot there without lights, it's all about where you position the subject in the room.

I wish I had received some positive comments on my work, so I know what they thought was good. Even with the comments, I'm not sure, unless I just shoot for image review, that the way I create photographs most of the time suits this process. We'll see in May if I resubmit. I have no doubt that I have the ability both in light and composition to pass, but I doubt I have enough work presently that shows what they want to pass without shooting specifically with review in mind--which seems silly. That's not what my clients want.

Good luck to those that don't know yet--

Elizabeth

DianeDavis
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Awww. Elizabeth. :(

Know you aren't alone, others have struggled with images too.

And some of us are just too downright chicken to even try- so you are way ahead of us :D.

Hugs.

Angela_Lawson
03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Elizabeth,

Please don't feel discouraged. I too didn't pass on my first try of image submissions. However, after posting all of the images afterwards (I hadn't posted to this forum before submission) I received much input. And I discovered several things, some of which I wasn't happy to hear, put know now that it is the truth. I honestly wasn't producing the best that I could produce, even if my customers were all happy. After input from several members on this forum, and some wonderful personal time with Keith Howe, I was able to discover what I was not doing properly, and therefore to my best ability. I spent the next several months in intense research, and alot of test shooting, and honing the new skills I had learned. Believe it or not, the next time around, my images passed, and I am now a CPP. And image to my surprise, how much more my clients are now complimenting my work. I've taken it to the next level, and now that I've gone that far, I want to continue doing just that...learning more and taking it up to the next level as often as I can. Anyway, my point is this...yes right now you feel very disappointed (I know, I was there), but keep your chin up, study the images that the judges said you could improve on and see if you can re-shoot and make them into what the judges are looking for (and if not, grabs some books to study), and just keep working at it. Don't give up either. Even if you don't think you have enough right now to re-submit, keep plugging away, and re-submit again next time around. Oh, and in the meantime, don't be afraid to post images and ask for help. You can't get any better help than the members on here. I promise, if you ask, they will help.

Hope this has helped.
Angela

Rose_Mary_Cheek
03-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Elizabeth... I know it is frustrating, but as Angela said, it is a process....
I wish you had been able to have someone mentor you before your submitted your images. Please do not let this discourage you.... and use it as Angela has "A Process" to grow by.

If there is anything I can do to help, please do not hestitate to call me.

Rose Mary

Karen_Linsley
03-17-2009, 06:32 AM
What Angela said. I didn't pass on my first try, or my second, or my third....and I had been a full time photographer for 20 years when I went for certification! It was cause for great disappointment and frustration, let me tell you. But just like Angela, getting certified has taken me to the next level. It was definately worth it. And do ask for some help and critques. If you don't want to do it on the forum, you can ask for private help. Also, I beleive that if you post on the galleries under the CPP critique you do it anonymously and you can get critiques there.

Betsy_Finn
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I didn't pass the image review my first time around either. There's nothing worth doing that's easy. Submit your images for May -- you'll be glad you gave it a second shot when you finally get the CPP status ;)

Rob_Wilson
03-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Elizabeth,

Please don't feel discouraged. I too didn't pass on my first try of image submissions. However, after posting all of the images afterwards (I hadn't posted to this forum before submission) I received much input. And I discovered several things, some of which I wasn't happy to hear, put know now that it is the truth. I honestly wasn't producing the best that I could produce, even if my customers were all happy. After input from several members on this forum, and some wonderful personal time with Keith Howe, I was able to discover what I was not doing properly, and therefore to my best ability. I spent the next several months in intense research, and alot of test shooting, and honing the new skills I had learned. Believe it or not, the next time around, my images passed, and I am now a CPP. And image to my surprise, how much more my clients are now complimenting my work. I've taken it to the next level, and now that I've gone that far, I want to continue doing just that...learning more and taking it up to the next level as often as I can. Anyway, my point is this...yes right now you feel very disappointed (I know, I was there), but keep your chin up, study the images that the judges said you could improve on and see if you can re-shoot and make them into what the judges are looking for (and if not, grabs some books to study), and just keep working at it. Don't give up either. Even if you don't think you have enough right now to re-submit, keep plugging away, and re-submit again next time around. Oh, and in the meantime, don't be afraid to post images and ask for help. You can't get any better help than the members on here. I promise, if you ask, they will help.

Hope this has helped.
Angela
Angela is right, I think (not sure if the pertains to you) when people don't intern with a studio for years it's more of a struggle knowing what good lighting is and composition since they don't get day to day input. Why don't you post the images on the forum, there are a lot of photogs (not me) that are good at CCing. I bet you will learn a ton! That is the biggest thing you can take advantage here on this forum is that there are a lot of photogs that know their stuff. If you post them someplace else people will tell you how great everything is. I think here you need a thick skin which I think is good in this case. I am sure all your answers would be answered if you did so.

ChrisGrandell
03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
I wish I had received some positive comments on my work, so I know what they thought was good. Even with the comments, I'm not sure, unless I just shoot for image review, that the way I create photographs most of the time suits this process. We'll see in May if I resubmit.

Elizabeth,

I didn't pass this last time around either, you are not the only one (I would guess there are many others as well). Like you, I got feedback on a few images, and the rest were left alone (I would think that means that they didn't hurt our submissions). I didn't post mine to the forum here beforehand, and I will do that this time.

Keep in mind that it doesn't cost you anything to re-submit your images, so you may as well, I am going to.

Elizabeth_Pokela
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I did not intern with a studio for years (one), but I do have a 4 year degree in photography. That certainly helped me pass the exam without studying much. I did post in the anonymous galleries and have received critique for competition in other arenas but that's a different ballgame. And I have had decent success in the fine art arena with juried gallery exhibits and such, but that too is different. All of the input I have received in those areas has been helpful.

I am just a bit exhausted by the whole thing, partly because of the delay in notification. It just consumed more mental energy for longer than I thought it would! And like everyone else, I am trying to run my business, master Sucessware, take care of kids who always seem to be sick this winter, deal with ankle physical therapy a couple of times a week (STILL!!)--and get images ready for SEPPA. Hopefully, I'll find the time to dig up or create client images to resubmit in May.

Thanks for the support, everyone. Rose Mary, I at least hope to see you at RCC in May, if I'm lucky with images already submitted!

Elizabeth

Valenzuela
03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Don't feel too bad Elizabeth I didnt pass either. Some of the comments I agree with... others not so much. I had an image review done at IUSA... the images I was told would merit without a problem and the reviewer actually wanted to buy from me did not pass the CPP review. So.. I guess we just have to take the comments that were given, work harder and submit better work. Don't give up!

zmguan
04-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Angela,

I passed on my third try, but to tell you the truth, I like my first submission better. It is more of my style.

I had to just swap out the photos that they don't like and insert the ones similar to the ones the judges like. It is also important to ask the judges to clarify their comments. This way, you will know what they want to see the images.

I did learn some tips through the process. I want to keep submitting my new images to the anonymous upload so that I can get my images reviewed annoymously all the time.

Good luck.

--Mei

Michael_Gan
04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
A couple of things based on various comments.

First of all, all certification candidates need to take this perspective in mind. The evaluations in both the exam and the way the images are judged go hand in hand. That is, the criteria is based on good basic photography that has existed for a very long time. The reason for this is that, if there is anything constant about professional photography, it is what's contained in this evaluation process.

The comment that "my clients like it" is not a constant. What in the world are photographers who are locked into a current style going to do when the consumers cease to see those styles as current? I can tell all of you for a fact, that many of the photographers who are stuck to their "style" never survive within 5 years after the style has changed. I've seen 3 major changes in the last 30 years and this has been consistent: I've seen a lot of photographers disappear. Right now, I'm guessing, with certainty, that the "PJ" style photographers will start dropping like flies in the next 5 year because that wedding style is now considered "Old School" (does that sound familiar to any of you who've made comments about an "older" studio?). Just remember, that all of us older guys who practiced pro photography in our 20's and 30's were the "in style" photographers. Age happens to all of us.

What certification will teach you is that when styles change, you will be able to adapt. I've always said about other photographers in my area, "I can do what they can do, but they can't figure out how I do what I do". Understanding these principals will give you this ability for your long term professional health.

"Images that would merit" is not what certification is all about. There's another rather heated discussion in another thread regarding this. The comment one person wrote was "I know of Master Photographers with 'mediocre' work". That's because there are a lot of Masters who did not earn their degree with client work. They earned them for their "pretty picture" submissions. This is why we reject a lot of submissions that have too many flowers and scenics. This work may do well at PPA print comp, but it doesn't tell us what the candidates can do with client work.

The secret to passing? Demonstrate in your work what you answered correctly in the written exam! Know your various directional lighting, your image density, color, composition. Know all these things and if you clients really love your work, they will love it even more with the arsenal of knowledge that is available to you.

Kimberly_Hill
04-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks, Michael. I'm going to keep this post handy as I assemble my images for submission in May.

Larry_Spencer
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM
I just submitted my images. Does anyone know how long it takes to find out how they did?

Michael_Gan
04-17-2009, 05:11 PM
The judging typically starts the weekend following the submission deadline and goes for about a week. If all goes well, the results should show up on your PPA merit report within a few days. If you are not a PPA member, you will have to wait via snail mail.

Larry_Spencer
04-20-2009, 03:49 PM
How long after you submitted your prints did you get the results back?