PDA

View Full Version : Critic - Please be hard on me!

Stacy_Rhodes
03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I entered a couple of these in my local competition. I was unable to attend the judging and would like to hear what they "might" have said. Don't worry about hurting my feelings - I want to learn how to work the competition arena! The titles I have given them are as follows - (1) Budding Contemplation (2) Rainbow Smile (3) Ranahan (4) Winter Scarlett

Thanks in advance!

D._Craig_Flory
03-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Stacy;

On the maternity image: cropped too close, boy's elbow amputated as well as the Mom's arm and hand, boy's underwear draws too much attention, and the boy's skintone looks good while his Mom's is too light and pasty looking.

On the woman: too big a smile, squinty eyes as well as lack of light in her eyes, plus her left hand is amputated while her right hand is poorly posed and looks like a claw.

On the cowboy: this is cropped too close, separation problem of hat from background, and it is broad lit with no lighting pattern or direction to the light.

On the girl at the fence: it is cropped too close and especially at the feet, and the garish skirt color screams "look at me"! I suggest using a hue saturation adjustment layer and make the skirt grey instead.

Hope this helps ... I'm off to church.

Stacy_Rhodes
03-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Thank you - that does help!:)

Ron_Jackson
03-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I can't speak for competition but the girl on the fence is cute and I like the red. However, I would take out the other fence so it isn't distracting. It makes the image too busy. That would make for a cute client image.

Stacy_Rhodes
03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Here they are with strikes and borders. I got the highest score of 75-76 on the 1st, 3rd and cowboy one. All of your time on input is MUCH appreciated.

Stacy_Rhodes
03-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I agree on the fence - I tried both ways and determined that the fence acts as a "lead in" to the focal point - I appreciate you view - as I was torn on that issue.

Sarah_Johnston
03-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Stacy, Could you make these larger? I would love to give you feedback on them, but would like to be sure of what I am seeing before commenting.
Thanks,
Sarah

Stacy_Rhodes
03-18-2009, 02:09 PM

I hope this is bigger.!?

D._Craig_Flory
03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Stacy;

If you save the images elsewhere and post them from there they can be much bigger. As an example of how big you COULD be posting them, here is one of my images I have on PhotoBucket. You can see how much bigger it is. There are threads on here about how to post bigger.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/CRW_9152LowRes8X10.jpg

Sarah_Johnston
03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Stacy, I went and saw the images large. I think you have a good start into the world of competition. And the fact that you are actively seeking help is even better.
The girl in the pink dress- Her knees are the closest thing to the camera so they look large. Also she looks uncomfortable with the 1 shoulder hunched up. I would say work on getting a more relaxed pose.
Cowboy- The lighting on him is very flat. Gives no dimension to his features. I kind of like the horse back there, but wold like it darker. Also if you make a motion those ears will perk up.
No Pictures- I think it is a very cute image. The edge is causing her arm to look really dirty though. The disconnected hand on our right is an issue too. Cute and contemporary, but I don't think it would merit.
Girl on fence- Very fun image. The red tutu is the first thing noticed though. Due to the snow and winter overcast the lighting is again very flat. I would try this one again sometime. Watch your positioning and where the fence in the background is. Try to avoid it cutting through your subject. Also try a reflector off to one side to add dimension to her face.
Baby in Cream- LOVE this! Chop off the foot though. Or cover it up in PS. The light on her face is wonderful. I also love that expression. I would darken down the upper left corner some. But I think this is your best image.
ShyGirl. I really like your postprocessing on this one, but the flat light is gonna kill it. I would do it again but change your lighting.

Okay I hope some of that helps. I would be happy to look at future images for you also. I am very big on print comp and how much it has done for the quality of images I produce. I want the same for everyone willing to put in the time!

Keith_A_Howe
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Stacy
Sarah gave you excellant points. Lighting is key to creating impact and story telling. I personally like "no pictures" though the crop is an issue.
On the girl in the pink dress I might add that the distortion is a lens choice issue, you can choose to distort an image but take it farther use a longer lens to help avoid the distortion. As it is it looks like a mistake.

Good Luck
Keith