PDA

View Full Version : Film on the test

Ashley_St._Germain
03-12-2009, 09:32 PM
How much about film and cameras that use film do you need to know for the test? I only shot 1 year with a 35mm before using digital, and I don't know if I have enough knowledge of film. Is it possible that these types of questions will be removed due to the "digital age?"

Michael_Gan
03-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Not many questions about film. But worth reading through and familiarizing.

StaceyDamon
04-09-2009, 06:41 PM
How many questions on darkroom/printing...OMG that stuff is hard to get through!!! LOL

Heather_L._Smith
04-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Think of it this way, girls... so much of what we do now in Photoshop is based off of what was and is done in the darkroom. For example, you should know WHY it's called 'dodging' and you should know WHY it's called 'burning.' You should understand filters and why they were/are used and how they're different with film and transparency. You don't have to be an expert, but you should be familiar with the information. I spent a lot of time on those chapters because they weren't familiar to me, but the knowledge I gained about HOW and WHY things work the way they do was invaluable.

StaceyDamon
04-09-2009, 09:03 PM
That is the stuff I know and understand (and am getting correct on the practice tests on the book site)
...it is all the chemicals and the actual process that is boring me to tears!!! LOL

George_Hawkins
04-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Ha, I just sold my darkroom gear to a college student.
But I remember film choices: daylight or tungsten indoor!
Now we have so many choices in the camera white balance settings.
True - but sorry for my sarcasm!

Seriously: There are some Kodak reference guides that explain color temperature very well. One guide explains & summarizes very well the view (4x5 and larger) camera operations, which might be helpful to understand. Those were on my test, before the digital era.