PDA

View Full Version : PPA print comp survey

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-11-2009, 02:47 AM
I filled out the survey today.

I would love to see a digital file submission format. It would save tons of time money and aggravation not just for the competitor but the organization.

I would save tons of money on shipping, prints, print cases etc. I was told that one of my print cases was no longer adequate for shipping. I disagree, it has a lot of good vibes inside.

Our state competition is at the end of April, I will probably not enter PPA if I have to spend extra money to have the PEC hold on to my print case for months on end.

The time has come.

Jonathan_Brown
03-11-2009, 02:55 AM
I agree, time to move forward and only send in prints that merit. Saves Time, money, energy and I think it will encourage more people to enter print comp.

Sarah_Johnston
03-19-2009, 01:36 AM
My question with going digital would be What about the print show? There is so much learning that goes on during the print show. People studying images, sharing ideas, getting helpful critiques. Also, are you prepared to purchase whatever equipment judging will be done on and be sure to calibrate that equipment to PEC specs? This way you have a better chance that what you see on your monitor will match what the judges see during competition.
Sorry, but in my opinion physical prints in a print show are still a very important part of the PPA Education experience. I am not against change, but I don't want to see us rush into anything without looking at it from all angles.
Just another opinion.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-19-2009, 01:46 AM
I filled out the survey as well and mentioned that I was not in favor of a digital entry at all. There are so many variables, that can mess with the image quality in a digital format. I hope the "print" competition does not become a the international "file" competition.
Jeff

Michael_Gan
03-19-2009, 01:57 AM
I agree, time to move forward and only send in prints that merit. Saves Time, money, energy and I think it will encourage more people to enter print comp.My question is this: If the image deserves a merit, what guarantee do we have the the print will be printed correctly? Let say you walk into the exhibit and you see prints that are absolutely horrendous. Wouldn't that be an embarrassment to our profession?

mrbarton
03-19-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm charged with running the digital album portion of the gig at MARC this weekend. I'm amazed that there are diagrams, specs, and pages about setting up the rig for prints and for printed albums. It's pretty detailed. Then you go to the digital album section there's no mention of calibration or luminance. We have color space and Gamma, but not much more. I'm sure this will change, but consider the cost of going completely digital for each affiliate and local group. Want to buy 160 Cinema Displays and MacBooks? It makes a HUGE difference which monitor is used. Then to have them all calibrated and profiled identically? Realize that if the competition goes 100% digital we are giving up 100% control of the final image. I've been to a lot of studios and can honestly say that it's pretty scary what photographers are looking at on their monitors. I'm not sure I want them controlling my images. Considering the state of many of the PPA Affiliates many of them would have to discontinue print comp if this were to go live. That said, Apple would be pretty happy!

Worse yet, imagine having your images judges at a regional on one monitor with one profile and then on another setup the next month. What ever happened to the art of printing? I don't to sound like a fuddy duddy, but isn't photography still about creating beautiful prints for the most part? We pick on shoot and burn photographers and now we talking about a shoot and burn exhibition. I DO however completely agree with digital albums. That makes a lot of sense. Vote for me in April! Ha. Sound like a politician. . . .

Want to know what I thought about the rest of the survey? Ha!

Ron_Jackson
03-19-2009, 02:22 AM
What survey?

Sarah_Johnston
03-19-2009, 04:13 AM
What survey?

PPA sent out a survey just over a week ago. They are looking for feedback on what members want with print comp.
Here is the link. See if it will work for you and voice your opinion. What ever it may be. http://vovici.com/l.dll/JGs8394B6F9F9ldhD9U581088J.htm

Ron_Jackson
03-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Interesting. I went back through all my emails through March 1 and didn't see that and when I click on the link you posted, it says the survey has been deactivated. So, if it has been deactivated then how did Jane fill it out today? That is strange that they did it after she filled hers out.

Cheri_MacCallum
03-19-2009, 04:54 AM
I didn't get a survey either!

D._Craig_Flory
03-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Interesting. I went back through all my emails through March 1 and didn't see that and when I click on the link you posted, it says the survey has been deactivated. So, if it has been deactivated then how did Jane fill it out today? That is strange that they did it after she filled hers out.

But, Ron, think about it. You always get your PPA Magazine a month or two after everyone else so it stands to reason that any other PPA stuff would also be late to you. It is the price you have to pay for living down in paradise. :D

Sarah_Johnston
03-19-2009, 02:07 PM
It could be because I used that link to fill it out for me. It could be coded so you can only fill it out 1 time. Call the number and ask if it is something you wish to do. I encourage everyone to do it so they get the best feel poss. for what the membership wants.

Ron_Jackson
03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Did this survey come to you through email? I still trying to understand why I wasn't aware of it. I love to take surveys.

Michael_Gan
03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Is it possible that only those who entered last year got the survey?

Ron_Jackson
03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
That is possible Michael. Like any survey and what you hope to get from it, maybe they only wanted input from those who entered previously. If they wanted a broader, more in-depth survey, they would of course then submit to the entire membership. If they only submitted to past entrants, they must have a reason for asking only their opinions. Disappointing to me of course. I am definitely in favor of keeping it a "print" competition but what else is on the survey I would like to have voiced my opinion on?

Jane_Lydick_Staid
03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
I did not enter last year, and I believe the survey was part of the nightly emails that I get from PPA.

Keith_A_Howe
03-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Th maybe they only wanted input from those who entered previously.

No, that's not it. Holly got one and she hasn't entered in about 4 years. Actually she got hers before mine showed up.

Honey_DeLapa
03-23-2009, 04:28 AM
I entered last year and didn't get a survey email notice.

I would not be in favor of a competition without a Print component. I think it's pretty hypocritical for us as professional photographers to say we don't want to spend the money to make beautiful prints for an International Exhibition. yet expect our customers to spend money to exhibit prints on their walls. We should lead by example.

It is easy to make a file look good for electronic viewing. As we all know, a very small file looks fine on the web. The proof of quality work shows only when it is printed. Isn't that our explanation for why we don't like to sell files on a cd? The way the image is printed makes all the difference.

Viewing a print exhibit is awesome. I don't think I'd feel the same way about watching prints on a screen.

Just my opinion.

Ron_Jackson
03-23-2009, 04:34 AM
I sent an email to PPA asking for an explanation several days ago. They haven't responded which in itself is disappointing. I also sent an email to the survey company and they replied that I had to ask PPA. Catch 22 and nobody wants to talk about it.

Cheri_MacCallum
03-23-2009, 03:13 PM

I DID enter last year and I did NOT get the survey!

Keith_A_Howe
03-25-2009, 03:21 AM
FWIW, there are several theories of why some people got the survey and some didn't. The most educated guess right now is that the company doing the survey used a statistically random sampling. That is just a guess though. I am in contact with "the powers that be" and as soon as I have a definitive answer I will post it here. In the meantime if anyone has strong feelings one way or the other, and you did not recieve a survey, you can certainly send an email with your feelings to the PPA board of directors. This survey came from PPA not PEC so that's where any comments should be directed.

Ron_Jackson
03-25-2009, 03:30 AM
I finally received a reply from PPA to my email today. There was no explanation to why, but they did attach a link to go ahead and take the survey which I did. I also replied back to PPA and asked them why there were seemingly many who did not get the survey and to check the forum to see that it is a bit of a hot topic. When I emailed the survey company last week, they replied right away that this survey was under the direction of PPA and that I needed to contact them. Go figure.

Betsy_Finn
03-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Keith, is there any chance that the people who didn't get the survey are related to the "can't edit the find-a-photographer" issue? Maybe not -- but if it's an issue the two have in common, it can't hurt to check...

Keith_A_Howe
03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Betsey
I doubt this is related. I do agree that the interconectivity between PPA.com and ourppa.com that was my understanding for the changes have some bugs that need to be worked out yet. I personally believe these are seperate issues. Have you contacted Gregory Aide about your problems?
Keith

Betsy_Finn
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm not personally having those problems, but there is a thread already on the forum, and I believe Gregory Aide is in the know :)