PDA

View Full Version : One for print comp

AmyElliott
03-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Here is one image I am considering for my case. Thoughts?

Amy

Mark_Levesque
03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
The background is busy, the pose is a little static, the composition is dead center. Hard to tell at this size, but she seems somewhat expressionless. I really hate to sound all negative, and I'm sorry. But this image has some issues, that even if it is tack sharp and printed brilliantly would hold it back. Now it all depends on where you are in your personal journey in print competition. What you expectations are. But if you are expecting a blue from this one, I don't think it's going to happen. Now I am not a judge and only about halfway to my masters, so I am not the ultimate authority. But I expect you will hear some of the same things from others.

Other candidates? (I will say that we are often not the best at picking our own images, so maybe someone else can see potential in an image you might overlook.)

D._Craig_Flory
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Mark made good comments. Even if worked to perfection, in Photoshop, I can't see this image getting above a score of 76 or so.

I would have liked seeing her actually playing and sitting on the ground with her back against the wall instead of on the chair. Then, you could have been looking at a potential 80.

I see poor hand posing / a vertical line comes right down to her shoulder / the pose leads eyes right into her crotch.

KEEP POSTING

AmyElliott
03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks,
I have never entered before...that is where I am in my journey:) Here are a few more I am considering..This is hard...:)

D._Craig_Flory
03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Amy;

One the image of the young lady in the white blouse ... this is what I see:
The clothing is in key with the background and the lighting is ok. Her messy hair doesn't work in this case. If all else was good I would flip it horizontally. That way our eyes would travel from left to right to her plus then the light direction comes from the left. I am not crazy about her arm traveling out and down like that drawing attention away from her. I don't see any dynamics & impact to this image.

D._Craig_Flory
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Amy;

I like the fireman and dog better. Here are the problems I see: His face is too bright while the right side of the dog's face is a bit too dark. He looks like he is holding down the dog as if it would run away. There are are streaks in the floor part of the background which try to draw attention. I do like the image and believe it would score in the higher 70's in competition. Here is how I see it being presented. I called it "Not Exactly A Dalmation". A title is part of the story telling. Sometimes a good title can help the judges see what you were thinking.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/NotExactlyADalmation.jpg

AmyElliott
03-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks, on the fireman, what makes it to bright? exposure, mood, I am sorry if I sound stupid...BTW LOVE the title you came up with:)

D._Craig_Flory
03-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Amy;

The child image is my favorite. Here is how I see this being presented. I made her smaller because of the adage "Kids Need Room To Grow" ... the same goes for puppies and kittens. I hope my two re-works help you see possibilities.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/BowlOfJoy.jpg

AmyElliott
03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Just an update,
I entered the image of the girl with the guitar and it did received a blue, and obviously a seal for nationals. Here is how I presented it.

Amy

Ron_Jackson
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Congratulations Amy! I know you feel both relieved and validated. Nice job.

Mark_Levesque
03-30-2009, 02:15 AM
Good for you. Congrats.

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Congrats Amy
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi Amy;

I am very impressed with your changes !!! See, it pays to post and get suggestions. CONGRATS !!!

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi Amy;

I am very impressed with your changes !!! See, it pays to post and get suggestions. CONGRATS !!!

D. Craig, I am puzzled by this comment. I went back and scanned through this thread and I don't see where anyone made any suggestions for changes on this particular image. The only suggestions on this image were basically for a rephotograph with a whole different pose. When I look at her original and then as she entered it the only change I see is she placed it on a background presentation. In fact she was told "I can't see this image getting above a score of 76 or so" and " if you are expecting a blue from this one, I don't think it's going to happen" so if she had followed the suggestions given to her she wouldn't have entered this one.

FWIW, I did not believe this image would merit either and this is a great example of how trying to see things on a moniter ( and I have a high end one) is not as good as seeing an actual print. You just miss so much. In Amy's case it would have been to her detriment to have this evaluated on a moniter because as it got a blue, there is obviously more to this image then we are seeing here.The actual print was obviously better then what it looked like it would be,

Amy, This is a perfect example of why sometimes you should just ignore the advice you are given and go with what your gut tells you. What affliate judging was this? I just want to make sure, as you said this was your first competition, that it was an affliate so you did get the seal which will get you a merit at national. Sometimes first time entrants don't understand the difference between an affliate and nonaffiliate competition. Not trying to be condescending here, just don't know how much you know about the whole process. Your profile doesn't show where you are from so I don't know if your region had an affilated competition recently.

Teri_Quance
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Nice work, Amy.

The Senior was my favorite, with the fireman being 2nd. I don't agree with Craig, however... the child, although cute for a mom, is the weakest of the group for competition, IMO.

Good luck! Print competition is one of the quickest ways to continually grow in your craft..... Best wishes, Teri Quance

D._Craig_Flory
04-03-2009, 01:09 PM
D. Craig, I am puzzled by this comment. I went back and scanned through this thread and I don't see where anyone made any suggestions for changes on this particular image. The only suggestions on this image were basically for a rephotograph with a whole different pose. When I look at her original and then as she entered it the only change I see is she placed it on a background presentation. In fact she was told "I can't see this image getting above a score of 76 or so" and " if you are expecting a blue from this one, I don't think it's going to happen" so if she had followed the suggestions given to her she wouldn't have entered this one.

Hi Keith;

When I looked at her follow up image I saw a lot less distraction from the subject including removing the vertical lines leading from her head. So, I do see improvements and I did point out those lines.

AmyElliott
04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys,
I did get rid of the dark lines in the back before printing for comp however that pretty much it. Keith, It was the PPSNY and it did get sealed for nationals, I made sure to ask. I am waiting for my case to come back, I received an email last night from the Prez, who told me he is positive my case had 2 blues, and someone who worked for him told hi it had 3.
Teri, I did not enter the baby, in the bowl. It is an image a mentor mentioned I should enter, but I never really loved it the way I loved others in my case.
Thanks
Amy