PDA

View Full Version : Competition Prints

ErnstUlrich
03-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Well here goes nothing, my lst competitiion prints since opening my business. I will be attending our states convention PPW during the lst part of April.
I have one more baby portrait but it's at my studio and will post it tomorrow.
Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Best to ya, Ernst

Rick_Massarini
03-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Do you have titles for the images ?

ErnstUlrich
03-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Rick, to be quite honest I hate frick'n titles, they gag me to no end, just genric, Charles, Ruby Beach, Laria. Will that hurt my chances?

Ernst

D._Craig_Flory
03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi Ernst;

I saw these this morning but have been out most of the day. Here is how I see the old man image. I titled it "The Old Salt".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TheOldSalt.jpg

Rick_Massarini
03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
These are just my opinions, of course...
I think the image of the beach needs a title to explain the story there, otherwise it's a photo of 4 people standing on a beach with their backs to the camera. I wonder WHY? What is the story here, and the name of the beach just doesn't tell me anything.... The image of to old captain and the bride may stand with just a first name used, but the second needs a bit of a push. On the image of the old captain, I find the expanse of dead space to the right side of his face a bit of a distraction. With the decision to use broad lighting and the dead space on the right hand side, the image appears somewhat unbalanced to me. The background being brighter behind the shadow side of the face than behind the highlight side provides conflicting points to my eye. On the bride, I would crop a bit from the right side of the image so that there was more space in front of her nose than behind her nose - on this one, an off center mat (step mount) might be advantageous. In the image of the bride, I find that the lighting and cropping stops my eye less than half way into the image with the right side of the image being dark and shadowed. Cropping might improve the strength of the image.

D._Craig_Flory
03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi Ernst;

The bridal image I like almost as much as the old man. I would not enter the group walking. Here is how I see the bridal. Like the Old Man, I used the Bakker Saddle instead of Rule of Thirds.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/JustWaiting.jpg

ErnstUlrich
03-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Ernst

Teri_Quance
03-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey Ernst,

I'm giving you my honest opinion, because you know I love you....

These are nice images, I think the bride is probably the strongest. I'm not crazy about the location of the 4 on the beach. Will these 3 merit? Perhaps. But, these 3 lack the 'WOW' factor your images normally have. You've got some incredible black and whites in your arsenal elsewhere to use.

Aren't you close to (if not already) a Master?

xoxo, Teri Q.

ErnstUlrich
03-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks TQ! I guess I played it safe with my image selection.

I haven't tried (according to PPA) to become a Master.

Ernst

ErnstUlrich
04-08-2009, 04:39 AM
Hey Guys, Made it back from PPW. My Sailor "Old Salt" scored an 86. The judges brought it back for review 3 times. From what I heard from everyone was that the judging was burtal this year and lots of folks were disappointed in their scores. I recieved the Best Portrait of a Man Award, plus the Kodak Award for Excellence.

The bridal portrait "My Monte" received an 80. Best Portrait of a Bride Award, plus again the Kodak Award for this one also.

I was very, very pleased.

Best regards, Ernst