PDA

View Full Version : Membership and Convention Fees

strukel
03-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I know there are affiliates that include convention fees with membership fees. I would appreciate hearing from those affiliates. Is it successful? Has it increased convention attendance? How has it affected membership?

D._Craig_Flory
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi Judith;

I have been a member of PPAofPa for 31 years. The dues have always included the two day meetings (February, June, and October) as well as the 3 day convention. Dues for all 9 days are $210.00 a year for a firm member studio. That includes the spouse. If the studio wants employees to be able to attend the programs it is an extra $30.00 a year for each employee.

Don_Chick
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
NHPPA charges $120/year for membership. Another member from the same studio is $75 per year.

Membership includes; 9 monthly meetings, 2 full day seminars (winter & summer), 4 days of Conference, print case fee and access to our extensive library. We have a couple of other educational opportunities but they are extra.

Because of the great value of membership, we get folks from around New England joining too.

Stephanie_Millner
03-05-2009, 04:49 PM
VPPA is $220/year. Includes 3 2-day (or 3-day?) seminars, 6-day convention, and monthly meetings. Also includes SEPPA membership. Case fee is $75 (or $60 if you pay online).

I'm a little peeved that we keep getting the same speakers over and over, and lately they just get speakers from within the association. BUT ... that changes in SPRING! (guess who's coming to VA!)

If anyone wants to come to the Spring Seminar, it's an all OurPPA lineup. Contact Valerie Harte for info. I'll let her post the speakers and info since it's her gig.

It's nice that we don't have to pay extra for the conventions, but I haven't been a member long enough to say how that affects membership.

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
In Mass., the $185 dues cover 4 full-day seminars a year, plus the 4-day convention (which also includes a banquet on Sunday night). Our convention also has a 'free day' on the first day of the convention where anyone can come hear the speakers.

Heather_L._Smith
03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
GA is $195/yr and includes our conventions/seminars. Seems to work well :)

George_Hawkins
03-05-2009, 11:29 PM
NHPPA charges $120/year for membership. Another member from the same studio is $75 per year.

Membership includes; 9 monthly meetings, 2 full day seminars (winter & summer), 4 days of Conference, print case fee and access to our extensive library. We have a couple of other educational opportunities but they are extra.

Because of the great value of membership, we get folks from around New England joining too.

Well stated Don....
I was on the board, and brought it up for discussion over 20 years ago. They were nickel & diming for all the little charges separately.

Michael_Gan
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
California is testing out the Convention fees included with membership. The members have been paying about $125 a year with only a magazine as its visible benefit. The convention was going for an additional $95. We're looking to see if including the convention, as well as a Northern California one in August will make a difference in the attendence and the membership numbers. California is sitting at about 550 members and we're trying to get it up to at least 800.

The problem for California is that it has about 18-20 affiliates where members can go on a monthly basis. Most opt to join the affiliates and PPA which leaves PPC the odd-man-out. PPC is trying to change all of that, especially with some of the affiliates hurting for membership.

Anne_LeBouton
03-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Judy, if Wisconsin can afford to do that, I think it is worth considering.

bob_hancock
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Triangle Photographers Association Pittsburgh, Pa. Annual dues of $175.00 per Year.
Triangle offers A two day winter meeting and three day Fall Convention.

You also receive discount on Triangle Institute. (week long school)
Triangle is made up of Photographers from Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virgina.

Jackie_Haggerty
03-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Illinois dues are $100 to belong to the state organization, with a quarterly newsletter as a benefit. I guess it could be considered a magazine, but most of the information in it is Illinois specific, and not really a tool of reference.

We pay an additional fee for our fall convention and spring conference. No monthly meetings, there is usually a golf outing or a presidents picnic, but was cancelled last year because of no attendance.

Spring conference fees are:
$123(if you register early) or $148
$35 if you want to attend the awards banquet
$75 to attend the pre-convention merit program
$95 print case fee

Fall convention fees are:

$115 (paid early) or $140
$20 for the banquet
$75 Print case fee

You can be a gold card member, which is $320 and includes attendance to both conventions. Or, you could just pay to attend both conventions. The problem here lies in that to many people there are no other benefits.

I parallel Stephanie's comments that the same speakers are always there. We have the speakers coming to our regional that are also speaking in Illinois for our week-long school. Apparently, the idea is that people will get a taste of the speakers and want to see more about them, so will then come to the school to take their class. Granted, we do have some good speakers come to our state, but for the most part you will find that probably 2/3 of them have been in Illinois within the last 5 years.

Marc_Benjamin
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
One day, I would like to live in a world where in addition to state's including the convention fee to their already low membership dues, PPA would be kind enough to do this as well.

--Keeping the dream alive.