PDA

View Full Version : Certification

Sherylkirksey
02-28-2009, 02:22 AM
hi old to the forum new as a PA Member yahoo!!!! :D
Was wondering about certification and classes???

ChrisGrandell
02-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Not sure what exactly you would like to know, but the certification website is http://www.certifiedphotographer.com/ There was a 3 day prep class for the test in the pre-convention classes at ImagingUSA, not sure if there are other ones at all.

There is a text book that was recommended to study. Between that and the knowledge that you attain from being a photographer, the test wasn't horrible. I was more nervous about it than I needed to be, but I did attain some great knowledge from the book that I otherwise may not have ever learned!

Betsy_Finn
02-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Sheryl, good for you! When I was studying for the CPP exam, I put together an impromptu "CPP study guide (http://learnwithbetsy.com/certification)" of sorts -- it's got links to the online learning sites for the 9e and 8e of London's "Photography."

I don't know if they still have the same "recommended reading" list as when I took the exam, but I also wrote up mini book reviews as I read the books (confession, I'm a bookworm!). They were initially just to help me remember what I had read, but others studying for the CPP have found them helpful too.

Betsy's Study Guide (http://learnwithbetsy.com/certification) (lol, so official sounding :) )

heritage
02-28-2009, 05:17 AM
Thank you Betsy...that is so helpful!

From a fellow nerd (my husband makes fun of me all the time...)
Amy

D._Craig_Flory
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi Sheryl;

You will want to contact your CPP Liaison to see where they given the exam and when. Here are the 3 fir California.

Michael_Gan
02-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Sheryl,

you can call either me 925-462-9364, or Martha Huddle (I'd have to look up her phone #. We are the two N. Cal. Liaisons. You can also contact Professional Photographers of Northern California about their annual study group (they have another class of 12 this year, on top of the 27 CPPs in their group) I will be proctoring the exam in April. The study group meets each week for 8-10 weeks and each member takes turn heading up each chapter of the Upton book. They also have a smaller study group that starts around July and the exam is in October.

Walnut Creek area might be too far for you. But, if memory serves me right, you're in the Clearlake area, so maybe you can start something with the Redwood Empire Group who meets in Santa Rosa?

Sherylkirksey
03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Thank you for all your information! Michael I live in Grass Valley Ca. Most likely looks like S.F. if my area code memory serves me. Can you take online anywhere? July- Ocy would be best for me at this time.

Michael_Gan
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Thank you for all your information! Michael I live in Grass Valley Ca. Most likely looks like S.F. if my area code memory serves me. Can you take online anywhere? July- Ocy would be best for me at this time. Ack, got you mixed up with the Davis' ;) You should contact the Sacramento Group, SVPP and see if they've started a study group, or would like to start a study group. Walnut Creek would be closer for you because the SF will admnister the exam at their new Golden Gate School Campus which will be in Belmont. Another opportunity will be the Northern California Convention in August at S. San Francisco Conference Center. If Sacramento can get a group of candidates together, I could come up and proctor the exam.