PDA

View Full Version : Sisters Please CC

Jimbow1098
02-26-2009, 03:57 AM
The 2 links are to 2 pictures I have one has been PS and I would like some input on the filter applied. Please CC both photo's I'm looking for feed back on quality and comp.

Thanks,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35211251@N06/3310984568/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35211251@N06/3310152419/

DianeDavis
02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
I like two better than one. There is way too much detail missing in #1 for my taste.

I can't put my finger on it tonight, but they both feel awkward- maybe it is the mixed keys.

Marc_Gibson
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I am not a big pet photographer, but I do like the look of the dogs. I like the head tilt of both of them in unison. Amazing how you got them to stay like that :). I like the filter you used (second image) on the dogs, but I don't like that effect on the beads on the floor. However, if the are sharp, they seem to compete for my attention.

Stephanie_Millner
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Very nice pose on the dogs. Good job with that.

The retouching... IMHO, you're retouching in the wrong direction. People look great with little lines taken out and softer complexions... but dogs, notsomuch. The beauty of pet portraiture is to show texture in the dogs coats. I would recommend duplicating the original layer and running it on High Pass at around 4-5px. Then set that layer mode to overlay or soft-light. That will give you some really beautiful texture in the fur (and you can mask it out of the bkgd and anything un-doggish.)

I might recommend a little pop of light with either a fill-flash or a reflector (although, dogs usually don't like shiny objects). If you don't have one with you, there's a digital fill flash action by Kubota that's just awesome. That will give you the pop of light on the face and bring out highlights in the eyes.

I might do a softer vignette around the sides to bring the focus on the pups a little more too.

These are just little sprinkles to make your cupcake look better. :) Overall, nice. As I'm sure you already know... 1 dog is tough. 2 dogs is infinitely harder! I think it might be logorithmic...