PDA

View Full Version : Posting images for competition critique

Keith_A_Howe
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
On another thread I commented on Lisa Louise's potential comp prints. Lisa and I have had a couple conversations so I know what her expectations are. I know what she means when she says 'will this work". But normally it is helpful to know when you are posting for critique, what you are hoping to achieve. Will it work can mean anything from will this print go loan to will I be embrarassed to ever show my face again. When I show my potential comp images to my friends they know my goal at this stage is always loan collection. That makes a difference in what they advise me. I don't loan or even merit every image but that's what I am aiming for. So "will it work" means something entirely different to me then it might mean to someone who is just getting started entering.

Another thing, when someone shares with me that they are just a few merits shy of their Master's that tells me they usually are looking more for a sure thing and less for taking risks. So that also effects what advise I might give.

I guess what I am saying is to get the most helpful critique take a couple extra seconds and tell us what your goals and expectations are.

Keith

Lisa_Louise
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Keith,
Thank you for explaining this, it is very straight forward. I have to admit that I am confused as to whether I should make an album on galleries or where I should post half the time. Did I miss something when signing up for the forum. I do sometimes miss the obvious! LOL.
Lisa Louise

Keith_A_Howe
02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Lisa, Some poeple prefer to post in the gallleries and some just post on the threads. I don't think there is a right or wrong. Personally I rarely look at the galleries but that doesn't mean everyone else isn't checking them out regularly.